Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard to sell a player getting looks from those schools on a complete backup role. Jesse is going to play obviously a majority of the minutes and rightfully so. Then there’s all this talk about how high the staff is on Peter Carey, so assuming he develops the way they think he will once he’s healthy he’s the starting center post Jesse.
I gave a bunch of examples previously. I’m sure there are more. If you’re willing to do your homework and do some digging - and WORK - you can find someone.

I’m fine with it...but I think for the “what’s the downside” crowd. I’d suggest sitting the bench at a terrible a-10 team would suggest there could be some downside...BUT it’s better than nothing. I would agree with that
devils advocate -

don't transfers that go to schools like charlotte or rhode island alabama a%m or wherever ...generally do worse at their new school than they do for SU? even though SU is a better bball school?

Didn't Symir, Cole, Elijah Hughes, Gbinije etc generally all do better than they did at their old schools at SU?

so couldn't we also say its likely that Hima might do better at SU than he did at Duquesne??? especially considering he ended the year on an upswing, hes just a freshman, and has little overall bball experience.

i like everything about this pickup. size and touch and definitely a great mindset.

I think the upside here is a lot higher than most posters are seeing...albeit a few years down the line on that.

devils advocate -

don't transfers that go to schools like charlotte or rhode island alabama a%m or wherever ...generally do worse at their new school than they do for SU? even though SU is a better bball school?

Didn't Symir, Cole, Elijah Hughes, Gbinije etc generally all do better than they did at their old schools at SU?

so couldn't we also say its likely that Hima might do better at SU than he did at Duquesne??? especially considering he ended the year on an upswing, hes just a freshman, and has little overall bball experience.

i like everything about this pickup. size and touch and definitely a great mindset.

I think the upside here is a lot higher than most posters are seeing...albeit a few years down the line on that.

I didn't make any of those statements. Why was I attributed to me?

Think Symir would be a better compare. He played a year of D1. I think we know what we are getting much more than we did with Jesse coming into college
I think African/foreign bigs are much different than American pg’s.

I’m chalking it up to some kind of spell check error.
I always chuckle inside when I hear my mom doing the speech to text and it comes out so wrong and autocorrected it would've taken far less time to just type it out right the first time.

devils advocate -

Yeah I just don’t comparisons to that level of player make much sense.

Gbinije, Cole were coming from high profile programs.
Wes and Elijah were standouts for their lower profile teams.

As I said, I think Symir is a solid comparison..
Symir went from 2.4 pts a game in 13 mins to 2.6 pts a game in 13.1 mins. And upped his asts and steals a little.

I certainly think that’s in the radar for what Hima can do

Yeah I just don’t comparisons to that level of player make much sense.

Gbinije, Cole were coming from high profile programs.
Wes and Elijah were standouts for their lower profile teams.

As I said, I think Symir is a solid comparison..
Symir went from 2.4 pts a game in 13 mins to 2.6 pts a game in 13.1 mins. And upped his asts and steals a little.

I certainly think that’s in the radar for what Hima can do

Wes was pretty good for Iowa State:

Elijah was not a standout at East Carolina:

Wes was pretty good for Iowa State:

Elijah was not a standout at East Carolina:

Wes was all big 12 rookie team...I guess that’s “pretty good”

Elijah’s per 40 scoring was very good at ecu

Also, both got a year off between playing at Syracuse. Practicing with the team, etc

So again..nothing like this scenario.

What was Hima’s HS ranking, btw? Usually you like to post that info for transfers

I gave a bunch of examples previously. I’m sure there are more. If you’re willing to do your homework and do some digging - and WORK - you can find someone.

You might want to do some research on those guys. Things aren’t always as they seem.

Remember the days of.. "well, if JB wants him..."
Remember the days of 20+ regular win seasons and sure-fire NCAA Tournament bids? It’s been 8 years since then. You lose some credibility when the product deteriorates.

marvel-legends-mighty-thor-mjolnir-premium-electronic-roleplay-hammer-5-1650251048870.jpg
Mjölnir!
Hima the hammer. :)

I will bet the house on the under that this kid gets 10-12 minutes a game next year.
Jesse averaged 28 mpg last year. That leaves 12 center minutes. No one knows if Brown or Carey will be ready for a couple minutes per game. Bol plays random spot minutes at forward, not center. None of the other forwards will slide over like Jimmy did last year. That leaves Mounir.

I expect Jesse will improve at not fouling so hopefully he can play a few more minutes and be on the court to close games, perhaps he can eclipse 30-32 minutes. Jesse will play as much as possible, but I expect Mounir will take the balance of the center minutes unless he turns out to be very poor defensively (offense is apparently his bigger weakness, and JB is rightfully more focused on defensive ability for a backup center; deter teams from hammering the paint and get rebounds and maybe even a block - seems like he’s capable of that)

Wes was all big 12 rookie team...I guess that’s “pretty good”

Elijah’s per 40 scoring was very good at ecu

Also, both got a year off between playing at Syracuse. Practicing with the team, etc

So again..nothing like this scenario.

What was Hima’s HS ranking, btw? Usually you like to post that info for transfers

He was a 2-star per ESPN. I'm not comparing Hima to them but I think he could help us.

Both Wes and Elijah certainly improved here over their previous stops, as did Mike and Cole. I don't recall that either created much buzz when they first came here. I recall hearing that Wes was a "totally different player than he had been at Iowa State in the 2009 pre-season and Elijah hadn't started at East Carolina.

Could have been voice recog. from his phone. Who knows these days. But lots to like with this kid: he's a good student; he's 7 feet tall; he can run the floor and block shots; he has a ridiculous wingspan; he scores with either hand; he's 240; and he's Orange.
So….17 and 10 by Junior year?

Cool. I’m in.

He was a 2-star per ESPN. I'm not comparing Hima to them but I think he could help us.

Both Wes and Elijah certainly improved here over their previous stops, as did Mike and Cole. I don't recall that either created much buzz when they first came here. I recall hearing that Wes was a "totally different player than he had been at Iowa State in the 2009 pre-season and Elijah hadn't started at East Carolina.

I think he could help us too. That said...if we want to be honest, he has much much more in common based on his previous play and team with Ethan Cole than Wes Johnson or Elijah Hughes...don’t remember Cole improving here.

I really hope he can contribute. Just cannot believe that with all the names in the portal, this is the only one we could grab. Idc if we were advertising solely backup minutes. We are still Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom