Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will bet the house on the under that this kid gets 10-12 minutes a game next year.
That would mean Jesse stays out of foul trouble. If so, he's all ACC.

I wasn't even replying to you. The examples were all valid. "You chose bad examples" is your proof? Lol. You'd make quite a lawyer.

You choose to believe that this staff and program, a .500 program over the last 8 years, does nothing wrong. Keep on keepin' on.

Good work. Be better next time with your research.

He sounds like a good kid that will be able to provide some needed big body competition during practice. I have a hard time believing he will be a better option than JBA. Some may disagree but most interesting to me is that none of the other schools looking at him could really be considered a step up from Duquesne as a program. A 3 inch shorter version of Chukwu is likely his top end potential. Its a different world and we needed some sort of insurance policy against a Jesse major injury. We've given scholarships to lesser players recently.

I guess the worst thing that happens is he isn’t good enough to play. In other words, doesn’t hurt us. I suppose that is a positive.

I think he could help us too. That said...if we want to be honest, he has much much more in common based on his previous play and team with Ethan Cole than Wes Johnson or Elijah Hughes...don’t remember Cole improving here.

Again, I wasn't comparing Hima to Johnson or Hughes. I was responding to your statement that both Johnson and Hughes were 'standouts' before they got here.

devils advocate -

don't transfers that go to schools like charlotte or rhode island alabama a%m or wherever ...generally do worse at their new school than they do for SU? even though SU is a better bball school?

Didn't Symir, Cole, Elijah Hughes, Gbinije etc generally all do better than they did at their old schools at SU?

so couldn't we also say its likely that Hima might do better at SU than he did at Duquesne??? especially considering he ended the year on an upswing, hes just a freshman, and has little overall bball experience.

i like everything about this pickup. size and touch and definitely a great mindset.

I think the upside here is a lot higher than most posters are seeing...albeit a few years down the line on that.
This kid was made for JBs Zone. He is going to do well. I predict he starts after Jesse leaves.

That would mean Jesse stays out of foul trouble. If so, he's all ACC.
Frank averaged 14 minutes a game last year. And that's with getting the start after Jesse went down and all the foul trouble he had.

If he struggled to get on the floor for a 6-24 team, I do not think this guy sniffs 10 minutes a game.Maybe he is I smell Sean Williams with more heart, but Boeheim will put Girard at center late in games before this kid next year.

Jesse averaged 28 mpg last year. That leaves 12 center minutes. No one knows if Brown or Carey will be ready for a couple minutes per game. Bol plays random spot minutes at forward, not center. None of the other forwards will slide over like Jimmy did last year. That leaves Mounir.

I expect Jesse will improve at not fouling so hopefully he can play a few more minutes and be on the court to close games, perhaps he can eclipse 30-32 minutes. Jesse will play as much as possible, but I expect Mounir will take the balance of the center minutes unless he turns out to be very poor defensively (offense is apparently his bigger weakness, and JB is rightfully more focused on defensive ability for a backup center; deter teams from hammering the paint and get rebounds and maybe even a block - seems like he’s capable of that)
Hima will be the back of the occasional Full Trunk Monkey Press.

I will be very interested to see how Mounir's career develops. Posted an article on what Syracuse is getting with him that Mike McAllister wrote in the daily articles today. It features some quotes from his HS coach. It is worth checking out.

I think we upgraded with the Anselem-Hima trade. I think he will contribute early and probably end up starting once Edwards leaves. But I have never seen him play in a game. Could be completely wrong on this.

The injury to Edwards brought Frankie into the spotlight and likely greatly increased his marketability as a free agent in this new world of college basketball.

Just as the injury to the Dukes starting center gave Mounir a chance to show what he could do late in the season. If that kid didn't get hurt, Mounir surely would still be at Duquesne now.

I will be very interested to see how Mounir's career develops. Posted an article on what Syracuse is getting with him that Mike McAllister wrote in the daily articles today. It features some quotes from his HS coach. It is worth checking out.

I think we upgraded with the Anselem-Hima trade. I think he will contribute early and probably end up starting once Edwards leaves. But I have never seen him play in a game. Could be completely wrong on this.

The injury to Edwards brought Frankie into the spotlight and likely greatly increased his marketability as a free agent in this new world of college basketball.

Just as the injury to the Dukes starting center gave Mounir a chance to show what he could do late in the season. If that kid didn't get hurt, Mounir surely would still be at Duquesne now.
Exactly. I'm surprised how many "fans" are writing him off. People forget big guys take longer to develop so anything already in his limited past, is well, very limited. This kid didn't grow up playing basketball. So there is a lot of unknown.

What we do know is that he is a smart kid. A big kid, a wide kid, a long kid and a hard working kid. Three years is a long time and hopefully we see a nice upward curve. Let's hope he is a sponge and is a healthy kid also.

Good post overall, but I completely disagree with your conclusion about trading up.

Hima might [emphasis on "might"] prove to be a solid role player here, but Anselem was a proven contributor at the ACC level, and an above average rebounder. We'll be lucky if Hima proves to even be one of those things.

Frank averaged 14 minutes a game last year. And that's with getting the start after Jesse went down and all the foul trouble he had.

If he struggled to get on the floor for a 6-24 team, I do not think this guy sniffs 10 minutes a game.Maybe he is I smell Sean Williams with more heart, but Boeheim will put Girard at center late in games before this kid next year.
Look at his performance the last part of the season. He will play 10 or more minutes a game next season

Then we are in trouble
Why? The kid missed his Junior year of HS. He is from Africa, He basically just started playing basketball. He has 3 years left. He is very coordinated, runs like a deer, has a 7 8 wingspan weighs 240 pounds and did very well the games he started at the end of last season. He will need to rebound and defend the rim. I think he was a great get by the staff. If he stays healthy i believe he is going to shock many within two years.

Exactly. I'm surprised how many "fans" are writing him off. People forget big guys take longer to develop so anything already in his limited past, is well, very limited. This kid didn't grow up playing basketball. So there is a lot of unknown.

What we do know is that he is a smart kid. A big kid, a wide kid, a long kid and a hard working kid. Three years is a long time and hopefully we see a nice upward curve. Let's hope he is a sponge and is a healthy kid also.
Not that we are writing him off, but we need to be better NOW. The program is not in a good place. Ballard was probably as low as some of us wanted to go, being that we were losing a pretty nice player in Frank. With Jesse’s foul issues, he may be thrown into a fire he isn’t ready for.

Why? The kid missed his Junior year of HS. He is from Africa, He basically just started playing basketball. He has 3 years left. He is very coordinated, runs like a deer, has a 7 8 wingspan weighs 240 pounds and did very well the games he started at the end of last season. He will need to rebound and defend the rim. I think he was a great get by the staff. If he stays healthy i believe he is going to shock many within two years.
Runs like a deer? Have you seen game tape? He moves fine, but he’s not Baye out there. Very coordinated? Please go watch tape. We aren’t like Iona College or something… well maybe we are… I get wanting to be optimistic, but cmon.

Not that we are writing him off, but we need to be better NOW. The program is not in a good place. Ballard was probably as low as some of us wanted to go, being that we were losing a pretty nice player in Frank. With Jesse’s foul issues, he may be thrown into a fire he isn’t ready for.
The A10 is not a huge step down from the ACC, there are a lot of great centers in that league that he played against.

Good post overall, but I completely disagree with your conclusion about trading up.

Hima might [emphasis on "might"] prove to be a solid role player here, but Anselem was a proven contributor at the ACC level, and an above average rebounder. We'll be lucky if Hima proves to even be one of those things.
Respectfully disagree.

Anselem was a poor defender and a non factor on offense. When he came into games, teams would suddenly be able to drive to the basket and get easy shots. Not a good shot blocker either.

The only way he could score was to get the ball next the basket, where he could dunk it.

At times he was a very good rebounder. At other times, he was not.

Good kid. I wish him great success at Georgia.

Mounir has far more potential. Whether he realizes that potential remains to be seen. His ceiling is higher than Frankie's. And his skill set is a better fir for our system. IMHO.

The A10 is not a huge step down from the ACC, there are a lot of great centers in that league that he played against.
The main thing the A 10 lacks is great centers…

our recruiting, especially at center, has been so bad over the last handful of years, that I think he will be an ok backup. But do I think he will be Frank, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom