Caitlin Clark | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we'd have to ask. I doubt he saw them as saviors in the moment. He was already a legend and probably thought the league should have been popular enough with the existing great players.That's the point, and I think you understand that. In retrospect, I'm sure he understood their impact.
I don't understand that. I believe he saw their popularity as a chance to increase his. An example of this is he joined with Bird on a video game in '83.

Maybe Taurasi shouldn't be, she probably shouldn't be. The difference there is that she is in the discussion for best ever. The classy move for her would be to have voluntarily stepped aside and left the spot for someone else.
“taurasi and classy” is a search that produces no results.
She’s a trash human.

Seems like the people who want CC on the team the most are more concerned about “marketing” than fielding the best team possible, which is the entire point of the Olympics and sports in general. It’s a strange turn, like saying the Patriots should’ve traded up to draft Tebow instead of taking McCourty.
It's not even remotely like that, and you know it.

I don't understand that. I believe he saw their popularity as a chance to increase his. An example of this is he joined with Bird on a video game in '83.

That wasn't Bird's rookie year. He was a veteran who was well established as an elite player by then. He was already a mutli-year NBA allstar, multi-year 1st team all NBA, all star game MVP, and had won a championship.

It’s nothing like that. You’re acting like having CC on the team makes them less competitive. That’s not close to the case, even if she doesn’t play a minute. They will win the gold, and it won’t be close. So why not use this for the opportunity it provides?
If other players at her position are better, they deserve to be on the team. From what I have gleaned from CC’ s interviews, etc., she would not want to be given a spot if she hadn’t earned it.

If other players at her position are better, they deserve to be on the team. From what I have gleaned from CC’ s interviews, etc., she would not want to be given a spot if she hadn’t earned it.
Well she just took a knee today so maybe, maybe they’ll let up on the hate. Or it will just encourage more because once u apologize for something you didn’t do, it’s seen as weakness

The great Angel Reece was in town again for game vs Mystics. You know the one everyone knows is the reason for the new popularity.
So even though she grew up 40miles away in the Baltimore hood the “dawg” drew 4,000 at the high school gym where they play all games not involving CC.
Envy, greed pride and wrath: among the deadliest sins.
Haters flame away.

This has to be the dumbest take ever. Whitlock is scum.
Meh. Jason Riley in the WSJ this week made some of the same substantive points (not the Robinson comparison) in much less histrionic fashion.

I once went to a celebrity basketball game where Whitlock was in attendance. There was a timeout promo where he and a few others were supposed to throw little boxes of cookies into the crowd. I watched as he fake-threw and pocketed them all.

No you didn’t. And no he didn’t.

She’s actually 15th in the league in scoring. She’s 4th in both assists and 3 pointers made. She’s 20th in blocks, as a guard, 17th in steals and 26th in rebounding. There are 12 teams with 11-12 players per team so approximately 140 players in the WNBA. She’s on one of the 2 worst teams in the WNBA which was her destination as the #1 draft pick. Her turnover ratio is very troublesome to me though.

She was a member of the two time under 19 US World Cup Gold winning championship team in 2020 and 2021 and in 2021 was the MVP in that international competition. Why she didn’t participate in 2022 or 2023 I don’t know. She will do fine whether she was on or off the Olympic team as she matures and gains more experience. She’s obviously not in the inner circle of women’s basketball yet. There is some team and conference snobbery too, the Big 10 doesn’t get much respect nor representation in women’s basketball.

Good player, but hasn’t earned it yet imo.

It’s nothing like that. You’re acting like having CC on the team makes them less competitive. That’s not close to the case, even if she doesn’t play a minute. They will win the gold, and it won’t be close. So why not use this for the opportunity it provides?

Has she ever proven she can play in a true team environment, where she’s not option A, B & C? Do we want the Olympics to be the time we unleash her 5.5 TOs per game?

Maybe Taurasi shouldn't be, she probably shouldn't be. The difference there is that she is in the discussion for best ever. The classy move for her would be to have voluntarily stepped aside and left the spot for someone else.

By most accounts, she is the Tiger Woods, Djokavic, Gretzky of her sport. It’s nonsensical to think a committee would choose a newbie to replace them for what is largely a non-financial opportunity.

It’s not like the W chooses the participants.

She's going to be on many Olympic teams. She's going to be great. She's barely into her rookie year as a pro. It's ok if she has to wait. I get that fans want to see her. That shouldn't be at all a factor in choosing the team. I would be disappointed if that was a factor in choosing any team.
Every other Olympic team has had a rookie on it and they all haven’t been one of the best players in the league. Why stop this now?

Every other Olympic team has had a rookie on it and they all haven’t been one of the best players in the league. Why stop this now?
The youngest players on the 2021 team were not rookies, A'ja Wilson was 24, Ariel Atkins was 24, and Napheesa Collier was 24, and entered the WNBA in 2018.
The last rookie was Stewart in 2016.

The youngest players on the 2021 team were not rookies, A'ja Wilson was 24, Ariel Atkins was 24, and Napheesa Collier was 24, and entered the WNBA in 2018.
Ok. Not every team but in 96, 04, 08 and 16. So more often than not the last 30 years.

It really doesn’t matter to me. If CC was on the team I’d probably watch a game or two. Now I won’t. This is coming from a guy that’s watched zero women’s basketball in my life until the last NCAA tournament when I watched Iowa take on LSU and Uconn.

You’re that guy.

Poking holes in an argument you know you’re losing by going after the most minor detail that changes nothing.

This is getting boring people. She will get called up to the team by the time they head to Paris, so let’s move on.

Has she ever proven she can play in a true team environment, where she’s not option A, B & C? Do we want the Olympics to be the time we unleash her 5.5 TOs per game?
She was on two under 19 FIBA World Cup teams that won gold for the USA and was MVP in the last one. She averaged 14.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 2.4 to’s, 36.4% from 3. She’s only 22 now and was the #1 draft choice in the WNBA. She has won in the greatest team environments - a collegiate National Championship and the FIBA International World Cup Championship other than the Olympics. She didn’t get chosen for the Olympics but I don’t understand the emotional reactions. She and her WNBA team will get better because Clark will get so much defensive attention. Ironically, Taurasi was chosen also at age 22 to be on the 2004 Olympic team right after leaving UConn, unlike Clark, but it’s now all old news. Clark is young and a facilitator, distributor, a team player - she will do fine.

Just watched Angel Reece club her in the head on a drive to the basket.
This anti-white racism, and I guess anti-straight bias against her, too, has gone too far. The WNBA is ruining its product. You can't watch this stuff without thinking it's the Detroit Pistons on the 1980s. Reminds me of all the racism surrounding the Larry Bird v. Magic Johnson debates in the '80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom