Call me a bad fan | Syracusefan.com

Call me a bad fan

I am happy that we have a chance to get better in the off season and hopefully get better next year. This team peaked and was not getting better. They were inconsistent and maddening. They clearly got better during the year first being blown out every game and then getting into games where they just couldn't close. Nothing was going to change. For that i am happy. I am not happy that we have to wait 8 months to see them again.

Fair weather may be the appropriate word.
Golly gee this team sure was swell. They tried so hard this year....seriously this team was a joke. The couple bright spots magnifies how frustrating it was to watch them. They had the talent to put it together but lacked effort on both sides of the floor. Looking forward to starting fresh next year. Just gotta hope Lydon doesn't declare for the D league.

I'm.glad it's over. One of my least favorite teams. Time for a change

Couldn't agree more. The season felt like it lasted much, much longer than it did. It doesn't make you a bad fan to be relieved when an underachieving, inconsistent, badly coached team finishes its season.

Agreed.
Just a maddening season from first to last. Considering that a lot of us fans and even JB himself thought this team would be so much better, this abortion of a season was mercifully ended today. We never gelled defensively, and it was hard to watch. On to next year! LGO

Once I accepted that this team just wasn't that good, I enjoyed the season a lot more.

Lot of close games. Some great endings and great wins. We thought the team would be really good coming into the year and were very wrong. Personally, I got over it months ago. The St. John's, BC embarrassments were a low point but once we started playing some ball starting with the Pitt and Miami wins...l just tried to enjoy the games for what they were the rest of the season.

You're not a bad fan. You're just having a bad reaction. It's like if you have the shrimp and have a bad reaction, you might swear off shrimp. But give it a couple of days. You'll be back.

"I love shrimp! I'm a shrimp eater. You put shrimp in front of me, and I will eat it until my stomach pops!"

9Gj53U6.jpg

Last edited:
Super frustrating team to watch this year. There were periods of every game where they just couldn't keep it together and even if we had a lead during that period, you knew it would likely cost us the game. They also just patently refused to defend in many games, today being an example. This game was extraordinarily similar in my mind to the St. John's game. At half time I thought we were in for a blow out loss. Gillon was embarrassing during the NIT games (absolutely had no interest in being there and really put a sour taste in my mouth about his "career" here with these last two games, completely hanging his teammates out to dry), Lydon, while putting up really nice numbers looked nothing like an NBA player, Battle was great. I really enjoyed watching Andrew White all year. Unfortunately I feel like the is a 15% chance Lydon comes back and a 20% chance Battle comes back. TT is probably 60%. Should any of them go? I have no idea. Battle looks like our best prospect since I don't know who. It's been a while.

Super frustrating team to watch this year. There were periods of every game where they just couldn't keep it together and even if we had a lead during that period, you knew it would likely cost us the game. They also just patently refused to defend in many games, today being an example. This game was extraordinarily similar in my mind to the St. John's game. At half time I thought we were in for a blow out loss. Gillon was embarrassing during the NIT games (absolutely had no interest in being there and really put a sour taste in my mouth about his "career" here with these last two games, completely hanging his teammates out to dry), Lydon, while putting up really nice numbers looked nothing like an NBA player, Battle was great. I really enjoyed watching Andrew White all year. Unfortunately I feel like the is a 15% chance Lydon comes back and a 20% chance Battle comes back. TT is probably 60%. Should any of them go? I have no idea. Battle looks like our best prospect since I don't know who. It's been a while.

TT is 60%?? Cmon.

TT is 60%?? Cmon.

I'm basing that largely on McCullough who was a shadow of the player TT is. Also - it is defense where TT is terrible and since we play zone, nobody in the NBA truly evaluates our guys in terms of defense anyway, they consider them all projects as far as I can tell. Also, TT is the type of guy to wow at the combine and workouts, great size, great shooting. So I gave him a 40% of leaving.

I'm basing that largely on McCullough who was a shadow of the player TT is. Also - it is defense where TT is terrible and since we play zone, nobody in the NBA truly evaluates our guys in terms of defense anyway, they consider them all projects as far as I can tell. Also, TT is the type of guy to wow at the combine and workouts, great size, great shooting. So I gave him a 40% of leaving.

TT is slow, weak, mechanical, and not explosive athletically whatsoever. Those guys don't wow at the combine. 1% chance he leaves, and that's just to account for the possibility of the random, unfortunate things that happen to people sometimes. He's not going to the NBA next year.

TT is slow, weak, mechanical, and not explosive athletically whatsoever. Those guys don't wow at the combine. 1% chance he leaves, and that's just to account for the possibility of the random, unfortunate things that happen to people sometimes. He's not going to the NBA next year.
I kinda agree with you on TT, but i wouldn't have wanted to state it so bluntly : )
He has a really nice touch from the perimeter. I think he will be a very nice, dependable offensive player for us next year and the year after. I hope he will work on his physicality. He's going to need to be- and play much stronger. Defensively... pretty awful. I put a lot of the responsibility for that on him playing center and being completely physically overmatched at the college level. I hope he can be a power forward next year—really hoping Chukwu recovers and does so in time to get him some very valuable summer game experience. Somewhere. Wish he could join some kind of international/traveling team... And Sidibe should be a more effective center next year. Sucked having Lydon and Thompson at the 5.

Battle looks fantastic. When he was struggling earlier in the season and people were writing him off, i said i expected he had the physical talents and the intellect to take the summer and work on his game and that he would come back and be a great player for us. Next year. I had no idea he would be able to develop so quickly. Pretty cool, that he's got the complete package as a freshman. And still has room for improvement.

Fingers crossed for next year:
PG: 5th Year/Transfer -- FHoward (had a nice five minutes today) -- HDub
2G: Battle -- ?
SF: Lydon -- Foreign Dude
PF: TT -- Moyer -- Brissett
C: Chukwu -- Sidibe -- TT

That team, if we get just serviceable play from Chukwu, should be a top half of the ACC team. A win or two better than this year? I hope better/more consistent guard play, and some actual rim protection will balance the loss of White's scoring.

Very unsatisfactory season. Between the NCAA, Bernie Fine and One-And-Done's it's not surprising that we have seen, and probably will see more, some disappointing seasons. It's a tough way for JB to go out. Hoping for some pleasant surprises next year.

Good post. I find myself torn between this and the need to show some respect for a guy who's given 50 years of his life to the athletic program. Still, I wish he'd see that it's time, and choose to go out on his own.

I kinda agree with you on TT, but i wouldn't have wanted to state it so bluntly : )
He has a really nice touch from the perimeter. I think he will be a very nice, dependable offensive player for us next year and the year after. I hope he will work on his physicality. He's going to need to be- and play much stronger. Defensively... pretty awful. I put a lot of the responsibility for that on him playing center and being completely physically overmatched at the college level. I hope he can be a power forward next year—really hoping Chukwu recovers and does so in time to get him some very valuable summer game experience. Somewhere. Wish he could join some kind of international/traveling team... And Sidibe should be a more effective center next year. Sucked having Lydon and Thompson at the 5.

Battle looks fantastic. When he was struggling earlier in the season and people were writing him off, i said i expected he had the physical talents and the intellect to take the summer and work on his game and that he would come back and be a great player for us. Next year. I had no idea he would be able to develop so quickly. Pretty cool, that he's got the complete package as a freshman. And still has room for improvement.

Fingers crossed for next year:
PG: 5th Year/Transfer -- FHoward (had a nice five minutes today) -- HDub
2G: Battle -- ?
SF: Lydon -- Foreign Dude
PF: TT -- Moyer -- Brissett
C: Chukwu -- Sidibe -- TT

That team, if we get just serviceable play from Chukwu, should be a top half of the ACC team. A win or two better than this year? I hope better/more consistent guard play, and some actual rim protection will balance the loss of White's scoring.

I love his shooting touch, his hands, ability to use both hands around the hoop, nice footwork,etc. I think his athleticism limits him as an NBA prospect.

Fair weather may be the appropriate word.
i do not think so---maybe disgusted and frustrated. why is it fair weather?-because he had enough??? the fair weather stuff is way over done. better description is not a zealot.

I don't think anyone upset about the way we lost an NIT game could ever be considered fair weather. It's the NIT. Fair weather fans don't watch NIT games.

I had to coach a soccer game this morning and recorded 'Cuse.

Now that I know SU lost, must I watch it to avoid the "fair weather" label?

Please say no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom