can dungey make the leap next year (crazy talk bear with me) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

can dungey make the leap next year (crazy talk bear with me)

I don’t have the time to look it up - but what’s the definitive proof? What metric? Do we count jump passes from the 1?

Honestly curious. (But not enough to look it up lol)

upload_2017-11-28_14-15-51.png

upload_2017-11-28_14-16-5.png

Just because Tebow wasn’t a great NFL QB doesn’t make his accomplishments at this level any less...kid was a great collegiate QB.

and though i realize your pt was made to counter a protest about ED's passing, I just want to offer this assessment, when we compare the two. TT had an additional 57 tds running the football. Dungey has 20 and just broke the school record for perspective. Tebow was all world in college. Not to mention a genuine winner and good man.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 2.46.56 PM.png

Look at ED’s stats as a true Frosh because those are truly impressive.

Of course, in Babers’ system ED throws the ball downfiled as much or more than anyone in the country. This season SU threw the screen pass much less which also took away the easy completion. So this year ED was running for his life, rarely throwing easy screen passes and more often than not throwing a pass downfiled which is a low percntage pass to begin with. Duh!

Stats have become the opium of the diehard football fan. They numb the mind and critical thinking takes a nap much of the time. Dont trust the stats salesman, or at the very least keep track of how many times stats have misled you.

Of course, in Babers’ system ED throws the ball downfiled as much or more than anyone in the country. This season SU threw the screen pass much less which also took away the easy completion. So this year ED was running for his life, rarely throwing easy screen passes and more often than not throwing a pass downfiled which is a low percntage pass to begin with. Duh!

Stats have become the opium of the diehard football fan. They numb the mind and critical thinking takes a nap much of the time. Dont trust the stats salesman, or at the very least keep track of how many times stats have misled you.

So Dungey's 6.6 YPA tell you that Cuse throws less short passes and more down the field than last year?

This year Dungy played behind a lousy OL, we ran 5 WR sets where only two of them could actually hold onto a ball, and our running game (subtracting Eric's rushes) totaled only around 100 ypg.

I don't spend 3 seconds out of the year worrying about Eric or what he could do more of next year. His health, sure, but if all of the above took care of itself, we likely wouldn't even have to worry about him getting injured either.

Last edited:
Timmy T one of the best college football players ever and a Better person
I did say poor man’s Tebow as I don’t think he can be first team all-American good.

I think he can be all conference. Dungey is a college QB as I don’t see his passing right now being NFL good.

Can he make the leap to clear those defenders who are standing upright? That's where I thought this was going.

so much of the game now is the QBs mind making all the checks and reads

the world is your oyster in this offense

i might be nuts but i don't think mayfield is that gifted, he's just really smart when it comes to playing (really stupid in non-playing ways)

wolford is nothing special talent wise and it showed his first three years. now look at him - 1,000 more yards, way more efficient.

if dungey has the senior year light bulb moment along with his other talents, what does this offense do if he has a 150 qb rating? is a 15% improvement in yards per play reasonable? I think so

if so, at this years number of plays, that equal 524 yards per game

that's 6th in the country.

What if the defense gets only 5% better per play? that's only 94th in the country. It's not unreasonable to expect that. at the same number of plays, that gets you giving up 420 yards per game

If you average 104 more yards than your opponents, you're going to be really good

Now the defense might face more plays by not giving up so many long TDs... raining on the parade

But still, this shows what is possible when you crank up the pace and get extra plays by not punting as much

it wouldn't surprise me if babers does this sort of math when he projects out when his teams make the leap. crank up the number of plays takes some time to get there but he eventually thinks his offense will be better than theirs and you amplify it with way more plays from pace and non-punts

Agree, thing is, some guys have a knack of avoiding big hits. Some just do, its a skill, a talent. That said EDs injury this year is non contact related. Also, all of the leaps and drop kicks are fun for sports center, but most of the time result in a few more yards instead of scores, thus, risk outweighs benefit by far.

Skill wise, size wise, arm wise...he has what it takes. Smarts and feel for the game are over 50% of playing qb. Ya think ED is better right now and has more skillz than Ryan Fitzpatrick??? Hell ya. That Harvard mind has kept him a viable option for about 8 years now!

ED with a better Oline and our line WILL improve next year, and a downshift with the running could be huge. The best qbs , the athletic mobile ones like rogers and ben and Brady and carr use mobility to slide and find another throwing lane to make big plays with their arm. ED could be that.

Finally, what scares me is I think he is a year off. If he and erv and ish were the same year, next year, that could be something special with our Oline talent starting to gel next year. Of course, hope I am wrong;)

I feel like Nassib had a big jump too. I mean he was good as a junior, but his last year was lights out.

Yes, it was. That offense in the second half of the season was humming and definitely a top 15-20 offense. It all came together and hackett finding his stride was also part of it. The timing was there with the Oline and skilled positions growing together.

Just because Tebow wasn’t a great NFL QB doesn’t make his accomplishments at this level any less...kid was a great collegiate QB.

He was, in the perfect system, stud oline and coach.

I did say poor man’s Tebow as I don’t think he can be first team all-American good.

I think he can be all conference. Dungey is a college QB as I don’t see his passing right now being NFL good.
My comment way purely about Timmy nothing to do w ED

Timmy T one of the best college football players ever and a Better person
He was first to take knee in football games... it was just that the national anthem was not playing at the time

if dungey rarely throws screens and throws downfield more than anyone in the country, would you expect his yards per completion to be high? you're probably going to be reluctant to look at stats about that, aren't you. critical thinking!

This year Dungy played behind a lousy OL, we ran 5 WR sets where only two of them could actually hold onto a ball, and our running game (subtracting Eric's rushes) totaled only around 100 ypg.

I don't spend 3 seconds out of the year worrying about Eric or what he could do more of next year. His health, sure, but if all of the above took care of itself, we likely wouldn't even have to worry about him getting injured either.
if you're throwing to philips and ishmael, you should be better than 86th in the country in efficiency

if you're throwing to philips and ishmael, you should be better than 86th in the country in efficiency

I’m going to be in the minority here, but I’m not so sure those two even have a career at the next level. I don’t think those two make the QB that much better.

Solid collegiate WR’s, but not necessarily guys you really gameplan around.

I’m going to be in the minority here, but I’m not so sure those two even have a career at the next level. I don’t think those two make the QB that much better.

Solid collegiate WR’s, but not necessarily guys you really gameplan around.
How many teams have a better duo? Even if it's thirty teams, you should be better than 86th

there is no way we can be better unless dungey grows up and runs less, or at least runs more opportunistically. compare to the garoppolo years which I think were the heyday of babers offense. he ran like 6-7 times a game against dungey running nearly 15+ times. there is still room for him to run and exploit matchups, but he has to be a pass first QB if we have any chance to improve next year.

so much of the game now is the QBs mind making all the checks and reads

the world is your oyster in this offense

i might be nuts but i don't think mayfield is that gifted, he's just really smart when it comes to playing (really stupid in non-playing ways)

wolford is nothing special talent wise and it showed his first three years. now look at him - 1,000 more yards, way more efficient.

if dungey has the senior year light bulb moment along with his other talents, what does this offense do if he has a 150 qb rating? is a 15% improvement in yards per play reasonable? I think so

if so, at this years number of plays, that equal 524 yards per game

that's 6th in the country.

What if the defense gets only 5% better per play? that's only 94th in the country. It's not unreasonable to expect that. at the same number of plays, that gets you giving up 420 yards per game

If you average 104 more yards than your opponents, you're going to be really good

Now the defense might face more plays by not giving up so many long TDs... raining on the parade

But still, this shows what is possible when you crank up the pace and get extra plays by not punting as much

it wouldn't surprise me if babers does this sort of math when he projects out when his teams make the leap. crank up the number of plays takes some time to get there but he eventually thinks his offense will be better than theirs and you amplify it with way more plays from pace and non-punts
If he makes too big of a leap, he'll get hurt and miss 5 games.

Please don't leave us again!!!

How many teams have a better duo? Even if it's thirty teams, you should be better than 86th

Better talent or better statistically? Two vastly different ways to quantify better.

Statistically the two are absolutely off the charts in terms of receptions. That being said, we were 4th or 5th in pass attempts per game - someone has to to catch all those balls. At he end of last season we were wondering who was going to replace AET’s production.

In my opinion, this system inflates the perceived talent level of the WR’s if one were to just look at things like receptions, etc. It’s the nature of having 10-15 balls thrown your way every game.

If you were to look at their PFF grades, they wouldn’t be in the top 30 or 40 of their position (although I want to say Ish was borderline last update I saw).

Physical athletes were able to take them out of the games relatively well (FSU and Miami). Part of the reason Baylor’s offense thrived under Briles was due to the quality of receivers they were able to bring into that system as well: Kendall Wright, Terrence Williams, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and his dope, Tevin Reese, etc).

I think we get there - this thing will get really exciting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom