can dungey make the leap next year (crazy talk bear with me) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

can dungey make the leap next year (crazy talk bear with me)

Accurate ;)
Yah, I'd say so. Let's get this kid in the mix asap. As talented a prospect as he is, there'll be a learning curve -- perfect opportunity to spell Dungey in his last season without being thrown the wolves. DeVito's a prime example of why I think SUFB's future is bright.

I too find this accuracy troubling. It's probably unsettling for players to have the ball hit them in stride.

(No one is crowning him. He was a 4* for a reason, the players all report that he'll be good, and the coaches love him. Those are facts. He's got *a ton* to prove on the field vs everyone... but it's ok to get amped)

Want to get amped? Fine, get amped for Dungey. He's a 4 year starter who will be in his third year in Dino's system. I'm not sure the point to your other comment, go see the clips on McEntee, based on his videos you'd think he be besting Cousins out there. Not crowning him? Your definition differs from mine. Guess maybe I've just had enough Catalina/Robinson/Allen/Long/etc/etc/etc/ and want something more kinetic, not potential.

Want to get amped? Fine, get amped for Dungey. He's a 4 year starter who will be in his third year in Dino's system. I'm not sure the point to your other comment, go see the clips on McEntee, based on his videos you'd think he be besting Cousins out there. Not crowning him? Your definition differs from mine. Guess maybe I've just had enough Catalina/Robinson/Allen/Long/etc/etc/etc/ and want something more kinetic, not potential.
It's the holiday season...in that spirit, how about find something positive to post? I, for one, am getting sick of all the Pyle-ing on.

It's the holiday season...in that spirit, how about find something positive to post? I, for one, am getting sick of all the Pyle-ing on.

Hold my beer, I can do positive..... I think Dungey is going to be the 2nd coming of Nassib next year which is why I'm telling people to get off TD's jock for at least another season. How can we not be excited about a 4 year starter who turned our heads as a frosh. Dungey has become a man before our eyes and I can't wait to see him take command next year. The OL should be improved next year with Roberts coming back and Dino's recruits growing up a bit. I have little concern about replacing Ish/Erv since Dino seems to have a knack for developing above average talent into NFL talent at that position. I'm super excited to see what else Elmore can do with some more S&C as well. I guess it's the meathead in me but I'm always looking for the next Csonka/Johnston type of bruising back. The running game should also see improvement this year given the improvements to the OL. So yeah, on offense I see alot of opportunity for greatness next year. If we can fix the defense then Dino should get his breakout year, we just really need to fix that defense. Now gimmie back my beer.

- I'm amped for both TD and ED. Didn't know you had to pick one.

- I liked that we got to see TD showing something. Also liked that his teammates were amped. It's a net positive. Can't we just be excited to see something good without asterisks and qualifiers?

- But since we need to be 100% clear eyed on this board, here's my official take: I'm amped about TD's ability based on his HS tape, camps/events, what people have said, how high he was ranked, reports about how he works, how his teammates take about him, etc. He also hasn't done anything in college yet. He can be a bust. He can be the best QB we've ever had. No one knows the answer to that. I'm simply excited to see what happens when he gets the chance.

- Being jaded is fine. I just find it tiring.

Georgia didn't have that problem this past season with a freshman taking the helm and running with the job. DeVito will have his shot next season.
They only put Fromm in after Eason went down. Tommy will get his turn, but Dungey will start if healthy.

Yah, I'd say so. Let's get this kid in the mix asap. As talented a prospect as he is, there'll be a learning curve -- perfect opportunity to spell Dungey in his last season without being thrown the wolves. DeVito's a prime example of why I think SUFB's future is bright.

Absolutely, TD only if ED goes down. Its set up perfect for TD as a RS SOPH to take the reigns in 2019 and excel after 2018 receivers get their feet wet next year.

Hold my beer, I can do positive... I think Dungey is going to be the 2nd coming of Nassib next year which is why I'm telling people to get off TD's jock for at least another season. How can we not be excited about a 4 year starter who turned our heads as a frosh. Dungey has become a man before our eyes and I can't wait to see him take command next year. The OL should be improved next year with Roberts coming back and Dino's recruits growing up a bit. I have little concern about replacing Ish/Erv since Dino seems to have a knack for developing above average talent into NFL talent at that position. I'm super excited to see what else Elmore can do with some more S&C as well. I guess it's the meathead in me but I'm always looking for the next Csonka/Johnston type of bruising back. The running game should also see improvement this year given the improvements to the OL. So yeah, on offense I see alot of opportunity for greatness next year. If we can fix the defense then Dino should get his breakout year, we just really need to fix that defense. Now gimmie back my beer.
Well done...I'm literally laughing out loud.

Thankfully, you're not making those decisions.

I'm sure the staff will have a few series built into game plans and that TD will see action in nearly every game. I don't think he starts unless Dungey is injured.

If the OL doesn't improve it would be crazy to throw TD to the wolves. ED's improvisation ability was the most important reason the offense had success last year. One of the main reasons Marrone named Paulus the starter was to protect Nassib's confidence. I can see this staff having a similar mind set.
Yeah, you have to improvise when you miss wide open receives because you routinely lock on to one. He's won us as many games as he's lost in making bad decisions. Hopefully he can get it together... next year! Seems to be the going slogan around here.

Yeah, you have to improvise when you miss wide open receives because you routinely lock on to one. He's won us as many games as he's lost in making bad decisions. Hopefully he can get it together... next year! Seems to be the going slogan around here.
You haven't a clue.

You haven't a clue.
I don't have a clue about what? Having a 3 year starter that has shown flashes of being a good but inconsistent QB? I have more than a clue. But hey next year will be the year. You have an opinion as do I. I'd like to see the young guy get some burn. There's all the clue I need.

Hold my beer, I can do positive... I think Dungey is going to be the 2nd coming of Nassib next year which is why I'm telling people to get off TD's jock for at least another season. How can we not be excited about a 4 year starter who turned our heads as a frosh. Dungey has become a man before our eyes and I can't wait to see him take command next year. The OL should be improved next year with Roberts coming back and Dino's recruits growing up a bit. I have little concern about replacing Ish/Erv since Dino seems to have a knack for developing above average talent into NFL talent at that position. I'm super excited to see what else Elmore can do with some more S&C as well. I guess it's the meathead in me but I'm always looking for the next Csonka/Johnston type of bruising back. The running game should also see improvement this year given the improvements to the OL. So yeah, on offense I see alot of opportunity for greatness next year. If we can fix the defense then Dino should get his breakout year, we just really need to fix that defense. Now gimmie back my beer.

Dungey is better than Nassib - in my opinion.

Love your enthusiasm!

Dungey is who he is- i dont see some kind of exponential improvement. Unfortunately, i think we still have run game issues next season, especially if a true freshman starts at center.

Dungey is better than Nassib - in my opinion.

Love your enthusiasm!
fwiw, dungey was 32nd in the espn qbr that i don't really understand , 47th last year, and 55th the year before

nassib as 38th his senior year, 72nd his junior year, 95th his soph year

hopefully dungey keeps getting better.

a small increase in his passing efficiency will make this offense explode

just a small jump in YAK would add up in this offense. we may drop more balls this year, but i think we see huge jump in plays getting made. we will way more athletic next yr. across the board at the WR spots

I don't have a clue about what? Having a 3 year starter that has shown flashes of being a good but inconsistent QB? I have more than a clue. But hey next year will be the year. You have an opinion as do I. I'd like to see the young guy get some burn. There's all the clue I need.

I just can't describe Eric Dungey as "flashes of being good but inconsistent"

That is not even close to being accurate in my opinion.

He has been great and at times all by himself out there.

It has been a privilege to watch him play - I hope the fans of this program appreciate what he has done and what he is.

You haven't a clue.

I agree.

Dungey sees the field very well.

He has had no running game and a fairly mediocre OL the last two years.

He has also faced defenses that have both keyed on him and have been directed to take his head off.

We have seen what we are when he is on the sideline.

Last edited:
I love watching Dungey play but I think it is absolutely fair to critique that he doesn’t see the field well. I don’t think he goes through his reads well and bolts too soon. As Dino has said before, he plays “wrecklessly.”

True his protection at times was awful and the running game often was very subpar. Still, I think he can improve a LOT in between the ears.

No question he’s a gamer and maybe the toughest kid I can remember play QB on any level.

I love watching Dungey play but I think it is absolutely fair to critique that he doesn’t see the field well. I don’t think he goes through his reads well and bolts too soon. As Dino has said before, he plays “wrecklessly.”

True his protection at times was awful and the running game often was very subpar. Still, I think he can improve a LOT in between the ears.

No question he’s a gamer and maybe the toughest kid I can remember play QB on any level.
Thank you!

If we can run the ball, Dungey (or TD) will be much, much better. That's the key - OL/RB.

I think it all clicks.

It is very hard to play the QB when you are getting hammered on every play and when you have no running game.

Dungey has a bull's-eye on his back - and that has been the case since CMU his frosh season.

I am not sure I have ever seen defenses go after a guy like they go after Eric.

They do that for one reason - they know that without him we cannot win.

I will never forget the video of the Miami DC walking off the field with Dungey while clearly conveying his respect.

That does not happen all that much.

It said it all to me.

Last edited:
It is very hard to play the QB when you are getting hammered on every play and when you have no running game.

Dungey has a bull's-eye on his back - and that has been the case since CMU is frosh season.

I am not sure I have ever seen defenses go after a guy like they go after Eric.

They do that for one reason - they know that without him we cannot win.

I will never forget the video of the Miami DC walking off the field with Dungey while clearly conveying his respect.

That does not happen all that much.

It said it all to me.

Look I agree with all that. Still, Dungey needs to improve in the area I mentioned, IMO. He makes some Russell Wilson plays occasionally (without his vision) and is under duress like he has been this season. He’s a gamer and I’m not trashing the kid for christ’s sake.

Its pretty simple. Eric is the heart and soul of this team. When he is healthy we can hang with the best. Without him we fall apart.

Mediocre line play is putting lipstick and glitter and a thong on that pig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom