can dungey make the leap next year (crazy talk bear with me) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

can dungey make the leap next year (crazy talk bear with me)

he'll get there, with a zillion reps, he'll have no choice. guy with no hands will be a 90 catch guy in a year or two

A former QB, there is no reason why Devin Butler should not become a very solid WR.

Better talent or better statistically? Two vastly different ways to quantify better.

Statistically the two are absolutely off the charts in terms of receptions. That being said, we were 4th or 5th in pass attempts per game - someone has to to catch all those balls. At he end of last season we were wondering who was going to replace AET’s production.

In my opinion, this system inflates the perceived talent level of the WR’s if one were to just look at things like receptions, etc. It’s the nature of having 10-15 balls thrown your way every game.

If you were to look at their PFF grades, they wouldn’t be in the top 30 or 40 of their position (although I want to say Ish was borderline last update I saw).

Physical athletes were able to take them out of the games relatively well (FSU and Miami). Part of the reason Baylor’s offense thrived under Briles was due to the quality of receivers they were able to bring into that system as well: Kendall Wright, Terrence Williams, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and his dope, Tevin Reese, etc).

I think we get there - this thing will get really exciting.

This is the stuff we cant over look.. We got max we could expect out of Ish and Phillips but if we want to take it up a level you need 2 more guys and and or some better talent. We could throw to thos guys all day but some drives we caught 3 passes and didnt get a first down..

Better talent or better statistically? Two vastly different ways to quantify better.

Statistically the two are absolutely off the charts in terms of receptions. That being said, we were 4th or 5th in pass attempts per game - someone has to to catch all those balls. At he end of last season we were wondering who was going to replace AET’s production.

In my opinion, this system inflates the perceived talent level of the WR’s if one were to just look at things like receptions, etc. It’s the nature of having 10-15 balls thrown your way every game.

If you were to look at their PFF grades, they wouldn’t be in the top 30 or 40 of their position (although I want to say Ish was borderline last update I saw).

Physical athletes were able to take them out of the games relatively well (FSU and Miami). Part of the reason Baylor’s offense thrived under Briles was due to the quality of receivers they were able to bring into that system as well: Kendall Wright, Terrence Williams, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and his dope, Tevin Reese, etc).

I think we get there - this thing will get really exciting.
call them top 50. how many teams have two top 40-50 guys? 30?

that's still way better than the passing efficiency

if dungey rarely throws screens and throws downfield more than anyone in the country, would you expect his yards per completion to be high? you're probably going to be reluctant to look at stats about that, aren't you. critical thinking!
Yards per completion includes yards after catch. So I say YAC to your response. If the receivers’ YAC is low then that affects yards per completion. You already know that. I would expect you to comment on YAC either way if you are going to go on and on in hundreds of posts about ED’s yards per completion. The fundamental point, however, is that any stat that you refer to I can point out its limitations. Every stat you refer to has limitations.

call them top 50. how many teams have two top 40-50 guys? 30?

that's still way better than the passing efficiency

I'm going to say no more than 20-25 teams have more than two top 40-50 guys. :)

But I completely agree with what you're saying throughout this entire thread. Ish & Erv were very good, but not elite college WR's. I think Ish has the ability to play a little on Sundays.

so much of the game now is the QBs mind making all the checks and reads

the world is your oyster in this offense

i might be nuts but i don't think mayfield is that gifted, he's just really smart when it comes to playing (really stupid in non-playing ways)

wolford is nothing special talent wise and it showed his first three years. now look at him - 1,000 more yards, way more efficient.

if dungey has the senior year light bulb moment along with his other talents, what does this offense do if he has a 150 qb rating? is a 15% improvement in yards per play reasonable? I think so

if so, at this years number of plays, that equal 524 yards per game

that's 6th in the country.

What if the defense gets only 5% better per play? that's only 94th in the country. It's not unreasonable to expect that. at the same number of plays, that gets you giving up 420 yards per game

If you average 104 more yards than your opponents, you're going to be really good

Now the defense might face more plays by not giving up so many long TDs... raining on the parade

But still, this shows what is possible when you crank up the pace and get extra plays by not punting as much

it wouldn't surprise me if babers does this sort of math when he projects out when his teams make the leap. crank up the number of plays takes some time to get there but he eventually thinks his offense will be better than theirs and you amplify it with way more plays from pace and non-punts
He will definitely make the leap, he is one hell of a leaper.

He also throws one hell of an airborne knee and a pretty good airborne teep kick to the solar plexus.

Losing your two best receivers and a QB that can't make it through a season without injury doesn't trend towards "better".

I think it's time to get Devito going. He can't finish a season and he puts himself in situations that get him hurt.

What makes optimistic is that now we have lots of really good competition this spring and that ultimately is what is going to elevate the team.

WR: Butler, Riley, Jordan, RTB, Custis, the Johnsons. Of course a nice trio of WR's coming in the summer as well.

I think it's time to get Devito going. He can't finish a season and he puts himself in situations that get him hurt.
Sorry but this isn't Xbox. Dungey has 3 more years in the weight room, 2 years of running Dino's offense against real ACC competition. Dungey will be a man in the fall, Devito is still a boy. Is it possible Dungey won't last the season? Sure it is, so yeah Devito/Culpepper better be ready. I'm so convinced of Dungey as the #1 next year that barring injury if he isn't #1 at the start of the season then I'll drink light american adjunct lagers at my tailgate next year. For those who pay attention to the beer threads, that's the equivalent of asking Gwyneth Paltrow to eat cheese wiz.

Sorry but this isn't Xbox. Dungey has 3 more years in the weight room, 2 years of running Dino's offense against real ACC competition. Dungey will be a man in the fall, Devito is still a boy. Is it possible Dungey won't last the season? Sure it is, so yeah Devito/Culpepper better be ready. I'm so convinced of Dungey as the #1 next year that barring injury if he isn't #1 at the start of the season then I'll drink light american adjunct lagers at my tailgate next year. For those who pay attention to the beer threads, that's the equivalent of asking Gwyneth Paltrow to eat cheese wiz.
Did you mean DeVito?

More of a PS4 guy and he won't finish the season; it's almost guaranteed. I'm all for having the best player play but I'm not sure he's the best player. I'd rather see DeVito get in there and get acclimated to the speed of the game.

More of a PS4 guy and he won't finish the season; it's almost guaranteed. I'm all for having the best player play but I'm not sure he's the best player. I'd rather see DeVito get in there and get acclimated to the speed of the game.
Thankfully, you're not making those decisions.

I'm sure the staff will have a few series built into game plans and that TD will see action in nearly every game. I don't think he starts unless Dungey is injured.

If the OL doesn't improve it would be crazy to throw TD to the wolves. ED's improvisation ability was the most important reason the offense had success last year. One of the main reasons Marrone named Paulus the starter was to protect Nassib's confidence. I can see this staff having a similar mind set.

Did you mean DeVito?
No, I meant Dungey, as in Dungey has more years in the S&C program. But I guess it's really 2, not 3. I was bad at math when I posted that apparently.

Some of you guys realize Dungeys injury this year was a fractured toe and not a concussion from a big hit right?
And most of them are wrong about the actual number of concussions that ED has sustained.

Some of you guys realize Dungeys injury this year was a fractured toe and not a concussion from a big hit right?

Injury this year was fluky. Could have happened to anyone. Does Eric put himself in more situations where injury is possible than others? Probably. But this was just one of those things that happens in sports.

I thought he was 100% better at not taking big hits until just about after the Clemson game. He was smarter when running until Miami/FSU stretch.

Has a little Wentz in him.

I thought he was 100% better at not taking big hits until just about after the Clemson game. He was smarter when running until Miami/FSU stretch.

Has a little Wentz in him.
Not necessarily a bad thing (Wentz has one of the highest QB ratings in the NFL), unless he's being reckless. I'd love to see him avoid hits. But the kid wants to win and I don't think any of us wants to take away his competitive spirit. The best formula for Dungey's health is more talent at the skill positions and better depth. The recruiting uptick can't arrive soon enough.

Last edited:

Georgia didn't have that problem this past season with a freshman taking the helm and running with the job. DeVito will have his shot next season.

Georgia didn't have that problem this past season with a freshman taking the helm and running with the job. DeVito will have his shot next season.
And I don't get the anxiety over this. I mean, Dino will probably be tickled to have a talented, veteran QB and a quality backup learning the ropes. We've all been crying for this kind of depth, and it's finally on the horizon. By most accounts, DeVito is athletic, his arm is strong and he's potentially more accurate than Dungey. So I'm excited to see him play, and start making reads, avoiding pressure ... all the things you can learn only in a game.

And I don't get the anxiety over this. I mean, Dino will probably be tickled to have a talented, veteran QB and a quality backup learning the ropes. We've all been crying for this kind of depth, and it's finally on the horizon. By most accounts, DeVito is athletic, his arm is strong and he's potentially more accurate than Dungey. So I'm excited to see him play, and start making reads, avoiding pressure ... all the things you can learn only in a game.

Accurate ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom