Carey needs to start | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Carey needs to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe G better be ready. I say this spot is his to loose...I know he's a scorer not a true point . But what are our (good) options???? We don't seem to want (or succeed) at landing top level PGs anymore. And don't bring up joseph. He's just another combo that didn't pan... And that seems like ages ago. HW may be ok..but not the elite we need to compete at highest level.
JB is going to keep trying combos until one of them pans out. Then he’ll say I told you so.

I thought the OP was joking, a sarcastic thread in done as a rebuttal to the posters who had been clamoring for more JC time. But no?

JC just gave the worst two minute performance of a guard in years. JC had 2 turnovers, drove aimlessly (but fast), and the second time lost the ball giving FSU numbers the other way. Bayer, our walk-on, did better last year. Got to know your role. A fourth option pg has to take care of the ball, just has to.

And yet, somehow, we go from there to starting JC? Unbelievable.

The only way that skill is a valuable one is if you don't get your pocket picked/dribble off your foot while doing this. Right now, he does not have even a semblance of that ability. His handle is awful, and it has been this entire season.

Yep, thats why i said he was not ready. Its too bad because that ability is desperately needed

No way. Carey looked even more lost than Frank. During the season there maybe were chances for Carey to get more minutes. That did not happen and now is not the time. Each game is critical from here on out. Jimmy tried to give Carey time last night. In one and half minutes he twice dribbled out of control. I guess only one turnover was assigned to him but if you watch it was two obvious and out of control mistakes. His problem at the moment is he is going 100+ miles an hour when he doesn't need to. It's a shame because minutes are there for the taking but he has not earned the starting nod. I think the best chance is for the coaches to sit down with Frank and plead with him and emphasize he is the most important factor to any success we will have. Shooting gets priortized so Buddy is next in line if Frank falters.

Cuse

Nailed it.

To date, Carey has played a total of three fewer minutes than Boeheim in two fewer games. If only Carey had been given a chance, you know?

View attachment 152555

That's crazy. It doesn't seem like it, but Buddy didn't play for a long stretch of games in late November/December.

Carey was the third guard for a pretty decent amount of time before Buddy got back in the lineup by hitting 3s in conference play while Carey couldn't hold on to the ball against pressure.

It's almost like it's a different season ago.

some here are of the mind that playing a 4 star recruit doesn't help him next year. i'll agree to disagree.

The problem is that we're at that point in the season where every win matters again. We're not blowing people out in conference to give him more opportunities. We're on the bubble again.

He had an easier time earlier in the season against OOC competition, but he's discovered that opposing defenders are much better for P5 teams than G5 teams.

And people saw film of all his turnovers even when he played "well" at the Garden and probably game planned to attack Carey when he has the ball. It has rattled him a bit, and as a result he is trying too hard.

jalen carey's been doghoused . for whatever reason HC deems appropriate. its his call in the end.

Don't you agree that JB has become WAY more about possessions in the last 10 years or so? If you do, then you probably know that Carey is currently committing 3 turnovers for every two assists on the full season, and obviously his play has deteriorated recently, so the numbers are trending worse. That's his "doghouse". Just hold on to the damn ball, and make the easy play until everything slows down for you.

But yet he’s still shooting 50 points higher than Buddy.
But lately they've gone in very different directions. And if you look at Effective Field Goal Percentage (which factors in the value of made 3-point shots), Buddy still has an edge for the season after a very slow start.
2019-02-07 03.08.33.png

If Carey played within himself and focused on defense, he'd be getting more PT. However, he's trying to be a superstar and do to much. He is a TO machine.

Carey turns the ball over and can't shoot recipe for disaster. Atleast Howard can shoot a little

If Carey played within himself and focused on defense, he'd be getting more PT. However, he's trying to be a superstar and do to much. He is a TO machine.

Disagree. He's a slasher. That's his playing style and that's what he has to do. He's not trying to be a superstar, he's trying to play the way that got him a shot at D1 basketball.

Carey turns the ball over and can't shoot recipe for disaster. Atleast Howard can shoot a little

Why is everybody hung up on 3 point shooting? His sample size is incredibly small. By this logic, Demetris Nichols was a horrendous shooter who never should have tried a 3 in his whole entire life. Not one.

Carey scores efficiently inside the arc and that's where he takes most of his shots.

Critiquing the turnovers is warranted. The shooting angle is an odd one, imo.

But lately they've gone in very different directions. And if you look at Effective Field Goal Percentage (which factors in the value of made 3-point shots), Buddy still has an edge for the season after a very slow start.
View attachment 152570
your logical, reasoned response has no place in this thread. please add massive doses of emotion and hyperbole - and perhaps a pinch of conspiracy theory to your opinion. Carey is the solution to all of our woes - and the only reason he's not playing more is because of nepotism and because the game has passed Jimmy by...

your logical, reasoned response has no place in this thread. please add massive doses of emotion and hyperbole - and perhaps a pinch of conspiracy theory to your opinion. Carey is the solution to all of our woes - and the only reason he's not playing more is because of nepotism and because the game has passed Jimmy by...
I'm actually a big fan of Carey and am excited about what he can bring to this program at some point. I don't want to bury him or run him off, nor do I want to see him handed the keys in the middle of a still promising season when better options are available. His time to shine will come, and there still may be opportunities for him to do so this season.

View attachment 152570

But yet Jalen has a better true shooting %. Come on man. You can use statistics to make any argument.

And true shooting % is arguably THE stat to use because it takes into account 2PT, 3PT and FTs. So even with his recent hot streak, Carey’s true shooting % is still higher than Buddy’s.

he doesn't currently possess point guard skills. He has a sub par handle and he cannot set up his teammates. Unless we want to give up on the season and try again next year. The other option is play Tyus at point and let Carey be the off guard. He is a liability handling the ball.
Without reading the rest of the thread I would just like to point out that Frank has been here almost 4 years now and everything you said about Carey is true of Frank also. And there is much less room/time to grow for Frank.

Carey won’t start with the gauntlet of games we have left, but where Boeheim erred, IMO is not establishing a firm timeshare at PG when it became immediately clear upon his return that FH would be lucky to play the ROS as 75% physically of the player he was before the injury.

That was still early enough in the season where that decision would have paid dividends we’d be seeing right now.

Without reading the rest of the thread I would just like to point out that Frank has been here almost 4 years now and everything you said about Carey is true of Frank also. And there is much less room/time to grow for Frank.

BINGO!!

Carey won’t start with the gauntlet of games we have left, but where Boeheim erred, IMO is not establishing a firm timeshare at PG when it became immediately clear upon his return that FH would be lucky to play the ROS as 75% physically of the player he was before the injury.

That was still early enough in the season where that decision would have paid dividends we’d be seeing right now.
Of course Carey won't start, he's the 4th guard for crying out loud. Don't give this lunatic fringe the legitimacy of thinking this is an actual consideration.

As for making the PG a time share, the backup pg position is being won by Battle. The Battle/Buddy combo beats out any JC combo. Giving more time to JC would have stunted the chemistry growth between Battle and Buddy.

JC (as 4th guard) had a rare late season (last 3rd) opportunity to earn more PT. He failed miserably (again).

So the question shouldn't be does JC start, it should be does JC warrant any more time this season? When does JB pull the plug?

Of course Carey won't start, he's the 4th guard for crying out loud. Don't give this lunatic fringe the legitimacy of thinking this is an actual consideration.

As for making the PG a time share, the backup pg position is being won by Battle. The Battle/Buddy combo beats out any JC combo. Giving more time to JC would have stunted the chemistry growth between Battle and Buddy.

JC (as 4th guard) had a rare late season (last 3rd) opportunity to earn more PT. He failed miserably (again).

So the question shouldn't be does JC start, it should be does JC warrant any more time this season? When does JB pull the plug?
My only true defense of more time for Carey is defensively. We face a lot of teams with smaller guards that they bring in waves. Perhaps a few minutes here and there for Carey as a defensive replacement might give our offensive players a little rest so that they can be more aggressive when they get back in. This in turn could help Carey get a little more up to "game speed" which seems to be his problem. He has the speed but right now the "game" part is not keeping up. When I got most irritated about this was a couple games ago when JB put Frank back in for the last 2 minutes of the first half with 2 fouls. I know JB has his own philosophy regarding playing with fouls (even in the 1st half), drives me nuts, but for the most part it works out for SU and we get extra minutes with our best players on the court that other teams sit. But you can't tell me bringing Carey in and sitting on it for 2 minutes is worse than bringing Frank in for the last 2 minutes and take the chance he picks one up late.

If we don’t play Jalen decent consistent minutes, we don’t have a point guard next year either
We have to sow the seed, take our licks if need be, and get this kid experience and a chance to blossom.

Everyone else is a 2. If one thing I know is that players that have to look over their shoulders after every mishap can’t relax and play with any rhythm. You have to put some faith in the kid
ummm...Jalen is a 2...his play has shown that thus far.

No way. Frank is averaging 10 points per game in ACC play, even after he played awful on Tuesday. 44% from the floor and 36% from 3 in ACC play. Against Pitt, Frank had 15 points, on 3-7 from 3. He also had 4 steals and was 4-4 from the free throw line. If the goal is to win games, we go with Frank. Everyone has a bad game here and there, but Frank has been pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom