CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the love of god, it’s two starters of note since all of this open transfer stuff started. Almost every team in the country is losing guys they want to keep.

If all you lose is two out of your top 10 to the portal every year, you are doing great. And SU has added more through the portal than it has lost.
I'm actually curious how many ACC starters per team have transferred

I get it. Its not great, but it's reality of the situation, have to make the best out of it and I think we can if we change our strategy (and I think Dino has). No we're not gonna be Alabama, but we never were.

This is why I'm not losing my mind over any of this.

Alabama is and has been playing in a different plane of CFB than we have for a while. Same with other big time programs. We can't compete with them whether it's BCS, CFP, NIL, Portal, or whatever big time change is coming that we don't know. Bama, OSU, etc... they are going to spend money that we can't dream of.

And I'm fine with that.

Give me a team that is well-coached, uses the portal well and wins more than loses and give me a fun run at the CFP once a decade. I'm good.

Again, our QB room, in terms of pure talent, hasn't been this stacked since McNabb maybe in his early years?

Good for Duce, make your money in football now because it could all be gone tomorrow

The point is that the power programs are using NIL to induce all conference level players to transfer to their schools - Syracuse recruiting a Grad Transfer from Richmond isn't even on the same level. And I really doubt we had to offer NIL $$'s before the kid even transferred to do that.

That's one example. Another is SU going after the Bowling Green WR. That said, I agree if $ is offered before the transfer it does lead to some interesting situations but on the flip side may help a players family as well...depending on how they of course allocate their "NIL" funds.

Agreed.

Reminds me of my experience at a mediocre law school. There were a couple dozen first-year students who achieved well and promptly transferred to top-tier (ish) schools for their last two years. Good for them? Yeah. But I knew that some of them had had very limited options coming in (one in particular due to a criminal matter); my school had taken a flyer on these borderline cases, let a spot be occupied for a year, and then gotten a "see ya" as thanks for the opportunity when a rosier opportunity presented itself.

Maybe not apples-to-apples, but it's not what I'd consider an admirable way to carry myself.
Uh what? Are you saying it was wrong for those at the top of their class to transfer to a more prestigious program? I mean not for anything but (as you know) law schools fall into very distinct tiers, and you want to go into anything other than public defending or ambulance chasing, you best graduate from the best program you can. Many of the school ranked outside the top 100 and those that are unaccredited are largely diploma factories and don’t carry much weight in the greater legal field. It’s just like going to get your MBA, it’s really only worth going to a top 15-20 program full time or else you might as well just get one from your local school at night.

I highly doubt a single employer looks at a resume and goes “hmmm… he left FAU Law for Yale… seems like a guy who won’t commit”

If he’s asked to video tape the first practice then he’s in trouble.
Not even going to go there or make light of that. What happened that day is tragic and will forever paint my opinion of both Brian Kelly and Notre Dame as a whole.

if I dated a girl in HS who ended up being a model -- I'd 100 percent claim her as a prior GF and tell that story at the bar lol
I turned down a girl in HS that later went on to be a model because she was friends with an exgf, and though I'm a happily married man with a wonderful wife... I do regret the decision made by highschool OiG on that one.

Not even going to go there or make light of that. What happened that day is tragic and will forever paint my opinion of both Brian Kelly and Notre Dame as a whole.

That’s why they’re only a notch below Ped state.

The business can be viewed two ways. There is the individual school side and the more macro college football as a whole side. Certainly the bigger schools will benefit, which is why the macro could suffer. If people view their school as not having a chance, they may not care about the whole thing. It's at least one reason why NFL and NBA are more popular than MLB.

Agreed. That said, SU being in the ACC can be a better stepping stone than the SEC or Big 10 record wise and being competitive with like schools and give them a chance to be in a 12 team playoff.

The pundits have pushed the SEC and Big 10 because they are schools with enormous followings in most cases. Ad dollars as well with more eyes.

Have any of the NFL players said a school that wasn’t the last one they played in?

Ut oh.. just thought of something; next in the world of NIL will be buying the right to be listed as the players school once they reach the NFL. Think Wade Boggs’ bust in the HOF being Tampa rather than Boston.

I think what people are failing to grasp in some cases is that there has been a fundamental shift here - the power programs have figured out how to exploit the NIL/Open transfer portal system and the NCAA has done and probably will do nothing to stop it. Open recruitment of players on mid P5 and G5 schools will just continue to get worse and what was a system that was already stacked against schools like Syracuse will just get harder and harder to compete for talent in. It will require exceptional scouting, constant attention to the roster and reclamation projects. The part where I get most concerned is that you are probably now putting more expectations on player locating and development on lesser equipped programs than ever before.
Do you think SU would have a better roster today relying on hs recruits and restricted transfers?

"I really think it’s time to start finding something else to do with our collective time."

Why not just start now? Why bother getting upset about a slightly above average DB going to a mid SEC school. If we can't handle that...its time to start another hobby.
How long are we allowed to mourn before we move on. Sone of us have invested the better part of 6 decades following and being emotionally invested in college football. Are we supposed to just stop on a dime? Or are we allowed sone time to mourns the loss of what we felt was a worthwhile endeavor? And perhaps we are just in the anger stage, while others are in the denial stage. Time will tell.

1. Teams are still capped at 85

2 This assumes unlimited resources

SU has and I expect will continue to improve the roster through the portal.

There are 16 players on next years roster that that had 247 grades of .87 or higher. 12 are transfers. The non transfers are ECJ,Nolton, LQA, and Daniels.

SU today has a better roster than it would have otherwise because of the current scheme. It has to keep building its retention program for its top talent, but so far there hasn’t been close to a mass exodus of kids Babers wanted to keep. The successes have far outweighed the losses.
I think we’ve already seen that walk-ones can get NIL monies. Effectively obliterating the 85 scholarship limit.

How long are we allowed to mourn before we move on. Sone of us have invested the better part of 6 decades following and being emotionally invested in college football. Are we supposed to just stop on a dime? Or are we allowed sone time to mourns the loss of what we felt was a worthwhile endeavor? And perhaps we are just in the anger stage, while others are in the denial stage. Time will tell.
Really up to you. I'd argue though you've been living in a fantasy world if you thought college football was on an even playing field for the past whatever decades. So the idea that NOW you are angry is...well...interesting, if not, expected.

Please don’t think this is directed at you personally (it’s totally not) but I’ve always thought it was misguided when we refer to these players as kids; they are not kids they are young men.
Sorry but an 18, 19, 20 year old is a kid. Some even into their twenties.

Really up to you. I'd argue though you've been living in a fantasy world if you thought college football was on an even playing field for the past whatever decades. So the idea that NOW you are angry is...well...interesting, if not, expected.
I think the situation is that a number of us were used to mid level programs going through cycles, for example Syracuse 50's/60's vs 70's vs 80's/90's and then the 2000's with a hope of a return to the 80's/90's level. Most of the programs at our level have cycles. It's always been the factories that generally maintain that top 25 level consistently, but even some of them have had cyclical fall offs as well.

With this change it advantages the factories even more in preventing fall-offs and makes it even harder than ever for programs like Syracuse to have cyclical 10 year periods of being a consistent ranked program. I think that's the realization that's happening for some of us now.

Newer fans of the program post 90's probably don't see the big deal because it's more of the same.

Sorry but an 18, 19, 20 year old is a kid. Some even into their twenties.
No they’re not, they’re adults. What does kid mean anyway? It’s another word for child. These young men are old enough to be married and some even have children of their own. They can also bench, row, squat, run faster and longer than most if not all of us. Almost certainly all of us as they are D1 athletes.

Immature still, sure. But they’re not kids as both legally and biologically they are adults.

That's one example. Another is SU going after the Bowling Green WR. That said, I agree if $ is offered before the transfer it does lead to some interesting situations but on the flip side may help a players family as well...depending on how they of course allocate their "NIL" funds.
He’s probably going to Pitt.

Some of us have been trying to point out the bad direct college sports have been taking for a long time. Sorry, I don’t buy the “it’s always been crooked excuse.
No they’re not, they’re adults. What does kid mean anyway? It’s another word for child. These young men are old enough to be married and some even have children of their own. They can also bench, row, squat, run faster and longer than most if not all of us. Almost certainly all of us as they are D1 athletes.

Immature still, sure. But they’re not kids as both legally and biologically they are adults.
Frontal cortex still developing until around age 25. Their size does not make them adults.

Do you think SU would have a better roster today relying on hs recruits and restricted transfers?
We've not really been in a position where we are losing starters to factory schools and having to replace them with kids that were high level recruits that didn't really progress at their school of choice for whatever the reason. So the question will be more relevant 3-5 years down the road. If we consistently lose 2-3 starters every year and have to replace them with undeveloped kids from other programs, yes I think we will be worse off. Because you're trading a sure thing for an unknown. And that's where these programs will need to be exceptional at identifying and developing talent with less resources. Think Minnesota Twins.

I think the situation is that a number of us were used to mid level programs going through cycles, for example Syracuse 50's/60's vs 70's vs 80's/90's and then the 2000's with a hope of a return to the 80's/90's level. Most of the programs at our level have cycles. It's always been the factories that generally maintain that top 25 level consistently, but even some of them have had cyclical fall offs as well.

With this change it advantages the factories even more in preventing fall-offs and makes it even harder than ever for programs like Syracuse to have cyclical 10 year periods of being a consistent ranked program. I think that's the realization that's happening for some of us now.

Newer fans of the program post 90's probably don't see the big deal because it's more of the same.
Ok...so we haven't been at that level for 30!! years now. 30.

BTW, TCU is playing for a championship tonight.

Should add, I get your point. I just don't think it's impossible.

Many people did not have an issue with it until the players got some of the power and pie.
Don't think most have an issue with the players getting some power and a piece of the pie. At least I don't. It is the fact that the lack of any control mechanism to protect any semblance of competitive balance has been ignored. Even the pro leagues have salary caps, competitive balance taxes and contract provisions to protect the organizations and its fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.