CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...so we haven't been at that level for 30!! years now. 30.

BTW, TCU is playing for a championship tonight.
20 years, 2001 was a top 15, 10 win team.

And it appeared with 2018 things were heading back in that direction but...yeah.

Some of us have been trying to point out the bad direct college sports have been taking for a long time. Sorry, I don’t buy the “it’s always been crooked excuse.

Frontal cortex still developing until around age 25. Their size does not make them adults.
I could have a field day with this but I won’t derail the thread. Imagine if the courts determined someone wasn’t criminally culpable until their frontal cortex was fully developed and can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that it has done so?

What is this improving your situation I keep seeing on this board? Are people living out of a hotel or going hungry? They're cashing out and that's fine, but stop using imaginary stories as a cover.
Not sure what "imaginary stories" you're referring to. I don't pretend to know that is any player's best interest. I presume the ones that are in the portal either "got the talk" or feel their situation can be improved elsewhere. Who am I to judge what's best for them? I was a college athlete, so I get it. But, the Cuse FB program invested in them and they are using that investment to their potential benefit with limited return to Cuse. That sucks, both as a fan and as a former athlete who believes in giving back to the school who invested in me.

On paper, Duce and Ja'had are transferring to perennial Top 10 programs, so it would seem they found attractive situations. Whether it improves their situation is up to them. I hope they are able to give back to Cuse in some fashion in the future if they felt the University helped them.

look, the portal is a give and take. We will lose some top guys and get guys we would never land out of college. Yes, I would prefer to not lose the proven guys but it is what it is.

I could have a field day with this but I won’t derail the thread. Imagine if the courts determined someone wasn’t criminally culpable until their frontal cortex was fully developed and can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that it has done so?
Conflating things. Legally? Sure. They’re responsible for their actions. But in terms of their maturity, and understanding of the world, these are kids. Doesn’t make them bad people.

Ok...so we haven't been at that level for 30!! years now. 30.

BTW, TCU is playing for a championship tonight.

Should add, I get your point. I just don't think it's impossible.
Yeah I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, I think I'm just coming to grips with the fact that our ceiling now is maybe being a 6-7 win program consistently and a year in 10 where we push for a "magical" top 10-15 season. That's a different expectation than a hope for the program to return to the 1987-2001 type success level.

Conflating things. Legally? Sure. They’re responsible for their actions. But in terms of their maturity, and understanding of the world, these are kids. Doesn’t make them bad people.
No it’s not conflating, it’s being logically consistent. We’re not doing young adults any favors by babying them. But that’s a much wider sociological discussion.

No it’s not conflating, it’s being logically consistent. We’re not doing young adults any favors by babying them. But that’s a much wider sociological discussion.
Believe me, I’m the last one babying any of them. But I recognize they are kids who do the dumb things kids do.

Believe me, I’m the last one babying any of them. But I recognize they are kids who do the dumb things kids do.
I’m sure that is true, and again this really isn’t meant to be directed at any particular poster. It’s just a pet peeve that I have that the word kid is now attributed to young adults, I don’t think that’s constructive for the generation that is coming up but I’ll shut up about it now (lol).

I can understand your line of reasoning. But, come on, it's not like your law school took that guy out of the goodness of their heart. School wanted tuition money for that slot, and they just took best possible candidate available.

Yeah, fair point, no sentimentality involved on either side there.

20 year olds aren't "kids". They are adults, or young adults if you prefer. Hell, I don't even like to call my 15 year old a kid. That language removes accountability.
They can’t even rent cars.

We've not really been in a position where we are losing starters to factory schools and having to replace them with kids that were high level recruits that didn't really progress at their school of choice for whatever the reason. So the question will be more relevant 3-5 years down the road. If we consistently lose 2-3 starters every year and have to replace them with undeveloped kids from other programs, yes I think we will be worse off. Because you're trading a sure thing for an unknown. And that's where these programs will need to be exceptional at identifying and developing talent with less resources. Think Minnesota Twins.
No, think Tampa Bay Rays. Twins still occasionally buy a player. Rays are rebuilder of MLB careers and masters of trading players who are at the top of their careers for prospects they then make better.

Walk around any college campus. Those are kids. The fact that the football players are super-sized, doesn’t change that.

Walk around any college campus. Those are kids. The fact that the football players are super-sized, doesn’t change that.
I have a college student standing 10 feet from me. She is a young adult and is treated as such by her father (me), her professors, her employer and her government.

Are you suggesting that if she wanted to transfer schools that she shouldn't be allowed, because she's a "kid"?

I have a college student standing 10 feet from me. She is a young adult and is treated as such by her father (me), her professors, her employer and her government.

Are you suggesting that if she wanted to transfer schools that she shouldn't be allowed, because she's a "kid"?
Like any average, some are more mature than others. Not sure how you got to point #2.

1. Teams are still capped at 85

2 This assumes unlimited resources

SU has and I expect will continue to improve the roster through the portal.

There are 16 players on next years roster that that had 247 grades of .87 or higher. 12 are transfers. The non transfers are ECJ,Nolton, LQA, and Daniels.

SU today has a better roster than it would have otherwise because of the current scheme. It has to keep building its retention program for its top talent, but so far there hasn’t been close to a mass exodus of kids Babers wanted to keep. The successes have far outweighed the losses.
Wrong. I am amazed how you can continually spin things for almost a decade now that everything is just fine. You are so wrong and you will eventually continue to find out.

I think what people are failing to grasp in some cases is that there has been a fundamental shift here - the power programs have figured out how to exploit the NIL/Open transfer portal system and the NCAA has done and probably will do nothing to stop it. Open recruitment of players on mid P5 and G5 schools will just continue to get worse and what was a system that was already stacked against schools like Syracuse will just get harder and harder to compete for talent in. It will require exceptional scouting, constant attention to the roster and reclamation projects. The part where I get most concerned is that you are probably now putting more expectations on player locating and development on lesser equipped programs than ever before.
Preach

Status
Not open for further replies.