Class of 2020 - CB Tony Grimes (VA) Portal from Texas A&M to Mich St | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 CB Tony Grimes (VA) Portal from Texas A&M to Mich St

40% of 4 stars or 5 stars? The discussion was 5 stars until you tossed in two 4 star examples. Regardless, you’re stating that more than 60% do make the NFL. If I’m Cuse, I absolutely take those percentages.
5 stars

Well we have two 4 star SEC quarterbacks on the team. How has that worked out?
They are 4 stars, not 5. Not the same and you should know that.

40% of 4 stars or 5 stars? The discussion was 5 stars until you tossed in two 4 star examples. Regardless, you’re stating that more than 60% do make the NFL. If I’m Cuse, I absolutely take those percentages.
There is zero chance that 60%of SEC QBs "make the NFL". A guy getting a training camp isn't "making the NFL".

There is zero chance that 60%of SEC QBs "make the NFL". A guy getting a training camp isn't "making the NFL".
I have no idea. I was just asking for clarification of his post as he seemed to be conflating two things.

Last year the SEC put the following QBs in the league:

Bennett - UGA
Young - Bama
Hooker - UT
Corral - Ole Miss
Richardson - UF
Levis - UK

The following QBs were running teams last year as well as this season that will likely go pro as well.

Rogers - Miss St
Rattler - So Carolina

So 8 of 14 SEC teams were quarterbacked by players that either were drafted and made rosters or will be selected in an upcoming draft. 8 of 14 or roughly 57%. It’s not that big a reach.

Bennett - UGA
Young - Bama
Hooker - UT
Corral - Ole Miss
Richardson - UF
Levis - UK

The following QBs were running teams last year as well as this season that will likely go pro as well.

Rogers - Miss St
Rattler - So Carolina

So 8 of 14 SEC teams were quarterbacked by players that either were drafted and made rosters or will be selected in an upcoming draft. 8 of 14 or roughly 57%. It’s not that big a reach.
The question should be how many are still qbs after 3 years. A lot of sec guys get drafted but it doesn’t seem they stick long term.

Well…I mean…technically… if you make training camp you made it to the nfl.
True but not if you are out within 3 years. A lot of players get a cup of coffee but not stay in the league.

The question should be how many are still qbs after 3 years. A lot of sec guys get drafted but it doesn’t seem they stick long term.
Well seeing as how that was just last year not sure what you want me to do with this. Quite frankly it’s irrelevant to my response to the initial remark anyway.

Well…I mean…technically… if you make training camp you made it to the nfl.
I 100% endorse this. Even if you get an invite to camp and cut a week later so long as you wore the colors and logo of an nfl team and got a paycheck those guys deserve to say “made it to the nfl”

So out of curiosity do we have a chance with this guy cuz I keep clicking on this thread thinking there's an update on him and it's a not updates on him.
I don’t think so. He said to be visiting Michigan State now.

I 100% endorse this. Even if you get an invite to camp and cut a week later so long as you wore the colors and logo of an nfl team and got a paycheck those guys deserve to say “made it to the nfl”
That's a reasonable standard... I usually think "Made an active roster at least one game day" as my standard for making the NFL (or whatever league), but the paycheck is a great measuring stick.

So out of curiosity do we have a chance with this guy cuz I keep clicking on this thread thinking there's an update on him and it's a not updates on him.

Exactly! These boards go off the rails on every single little thing that has zero relevance to the thread.

And btw no one that got an invite to training camp would say they made the NFL. They would tell you they got the invite, which is better than 99% of ball players out there.

And 2nd if you say that players that make the league but don’t stick after 3yrs are basically garbage and don’t count than you are an idiot and need to see statistics on NFL timeframes. More than 80% of players “in the nfl don’t last past 3yrs of playing.”

Bennett - UGA
Young - Bama
Hooker - UT
Corral - Ole Miss
Richardson - UF
Levis - UK

Rogers - Miss St
Rattler - So Carolina

Details but Corral was drafted in 2022.

Exactly! These boards go off the rails on every single little thing that has zero relevance to the thread.

And btw no one that got an invite to training camp would say they made the NFL. They would tell you they got the invite, which is better than 99% of ball players out there.

And 2nd if you say that players that make the league but don’t stick after 3yrs are basically garbage and don’t count than you are an idiot and need to see statistics on NFL timeframes. More than 80% of players “in the nfl don’t last past 3yrs of playing.”
It's a thread on a player who has entered the portal with no offer from the current staff. It's basically going to be a thread of posts that have nothing to do with the player because there is no interest from the staff.
Hopefully, after this inaugural year, there won't be as much dragging up of old threads if there is no offer or real interest.

The three year window is to point out that most guys do not make significant money until after three years. First, second and third rounders do make decent signing bonuses.
The point is that every player thinks they are going to make the nfl stick and be rich. A lot do not focus on getting the best education or a degree and merely focus more on a school with the belief it is their ticket to the nfl and riches.
A degree from a good school with connections can be a lot more valuable than a couple of years in the nfl. However a lot of players no longer see the value in a degree and nil has diminished the value even more.
I’m sure telling people you played in the nfl is awesome but it does not mean you will be wealthy long term versus getting an education and using your degree.

The three year window is to point out that most guys do not make significant money until after three years. First, second and third rounders do make decent signing bonuses.
The point is that every player thinks they are going to make the nfl stick and be rich. A lot do not focus on getting the best education or a degree and merely focus more on a school with the belief it is their ticket to the nfl and riches.
A degree from a good school with connections can be a lot more valuable than a couple of years in the nfl. However a lot of players no longer see the value in a degree and nil has diminished the value even more.
I’m sure telling people you played in the nfl is awesome but it does not mean you will be wealthy long term versus getting an education and using your degree.
What you are saying is partially true. The league minimum is $750,000 per year. That’s pretty good money for someone in their early to mid 20’s.

Not sure I believe every player thinks they are going to be in the NFL long term. They know the odds and are told as much. They can have confidence and say things in interviews, but most know.

Well we have two 4 star SEC quarterbacks on the team. How has that worked out?

I hope the success of two players evaluated by a HC with a long leash, an overall losing record and bottom barrel recruiting…… isn’t your fall back.

Also you’re moving the goal posts. You said most 5 stars don’t make it, which is false.

We’re in a thread about a CB. The original comment was “Many 5 stars don’t pan out. High school is long over with for him”.

The post had nothing to do with QB’s or even the NFL. That’s just where other people have taken it.

Back to the original argument that most 5 star players aren’t successful in college is a ridiculous statement. Still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom