Chance Amie... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Amie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boykin is basically a RB playing QB. No future as a NFL QB. Anyone can see that. Bad expample. My point is that NFL arm and slighty atheltic are common and dont mean NFL success.
I understand that, that’s why a guy like Jay Cutler could never be elite in the nfl even though he had all the tools to be. But just being able to run doesn’t guarantee ‘NFL success’ either. And also I never said anything about the NFL.

I understand that, that’s why a guy like Jay Cutler could never be elite in the nfl even though he had all the tools to be. But just being able to run doesn’t guarantee ‘NFL success’ either. And also I never said anything about the NFL.
When you say elite you have to be talking NFL. Elite is a special word. You are speaking of Devito like he has this magic arm that no one else has. So I guess I have to compare him to NFL guys. lol

I wouldn’t call TD elite but he has a pretty good chance to catch you in stride on a deep ball thrown with zip. He needs more experience.

When you say elite you have to be talking NFL. Elite is a special word. You are speaking of Devito like he has this magic arm than no one else has. So I guess I have to compare him to NFL guys. lol
He does have an NFL arm. And I believe he will definitely have a chance to play on Sunday’s if he can put it all together during his time up here. He can make any throw on the field, but there’s a lot more that goes into being a QB than that.

I wouldn’t call TD elite but he has a pretty good chance to catch you in stride on a deep ball thrown with zip. He needs more experience.
I agree he’s not an elite QB yet. That’s not the argument, he does however have an elite arm.

He does have an NFL arm. And I believe he will definitely have a chance to play on Sunday’s if he can put it all together during his time up here. He can make any throw on the field, but there’s a lot more that goes into being a QB than that.
We will see, bottom line is we know what TD can do, but we havent seen Chance yet. If you can get a guy that makes great decsions, can throw as well as he can run. Its a no brainer. Devito has more experience which makes him the front runner. Im exited for both.

I agree he’s not an elite QB yet. That’s not the argument, he does however have an elite arm.
He has a nice arm, I see nothing elite about it. There is not one throw he makes that other college QB's can't

He has a nice arm, I see nothing elite about it. There is not one throw he makes that other college QB's can't
Check your specs then sir. You’re wrong and that’s fine, but I really don’t have the will power to talk to you anymore. Deuces✌

Been following Tommy since 11 grade. Stood next to him while he threw at SU camp. He has a great arm but you are assuming Chance doesnt.
Exactly. As I have heard he throws the same darts as Td. He just isn’t as accurate yet but neither was Td at this point. I want who is gonna win games. If Td needs to run a bit more then get him a run in. If chance is the one ok. But no one should discount anyone yet. As I stated before I think Td starts but chance being on his ass will make them both better. I haven’t seen Chance other than at camp when I was there and the ball jumps out of his hand effortlessly like Td. We need both to be good. Not that Td could be a Dungey with the running thing but maybe practice getting better at it if it adds an element and gives his arm more room.

Exactly. As I have heard he throws the same darts as Td. He just isn’t as accurate yet but neither was Td at this point. I want who is gonna win games. If Td needs to run a bit more then get him a run in. If chance is the one ok. But no one should discount anyone yet. As I stated before I think Td starts but chance being on his ass will make them both better. I haven’t seen Chance other than at camp when I was there and the ball jumps out of his hand effortlessly like Td. We need both to be good. Not that Td could be a Dungey with the running thing but maybe practice getting better at it if it adds an element and gives his arm more room.
If that’s your evaluation then you don’t know what you’re looking at when it comes to QBs. If you’re talking about the spring practice where you saw chance throw, yeah I was there too and no the ball doesn’t come off the same as TD.. In that very practice Chance threw a ball into the stands while his receiver was running a route vs air. Obviously he’s improved since then but if you saw that and said “yeah that looks the same as TD” then I’m sorry but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Last edited:
If that’s your evaluation then you don’t know what you’re looking at when it comes to QBs. If you’re talking about the spring practice where you saw chance throw, yeah I was there too and no the ball doesn’t come off the same as TD.. In that very practice Chance threw a ball into the stands while his receiver was running a route vs air. Obviously he’s improved since then but if you saw that and said “yeah that looks the same as TD” then I’m sorry but you don’t know what you’re talking about.
I agree with u as in my other post I said he doesn’t have the consistency that Td has. Doesn’t mean he won’t get it though and as u say did u not watch the ball jump out of his arm. Yeah he didn’t know where it was going but still. He has a great arm. Needs refinement and purpose but he can still throw really well. I just think whoever starts is fine by me and I know we will have a capable backup. Not too mention we have 15 more practices roughly to get both of these guys better. Ur reference to that camp could hold true to a game where Td threw the ball 5 ft over Johnson’s head on I think an out not sure. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a great arm. Means he just overthrew it move on to the next play. I’m glad we are where we are in terms of this argument or discussion. As a few have said, backups are one play away from winning a game.

And no I am not a qb guru. Never said I was.

I agree with u as in my other post I said he doesn’t have the consistency that Td has. Doesn’t mean he won’t get it though and as u say did u not watch the ball jump out of his arm. Yeah he didn’t know where it was going but still. He has a great arm. Needs refinement and purpose but he can still throw really well. I just think whoever starts is fine by me and I know we will have a capable backup. Not too mention we have 15 more practices roughly to get both of these guys better. Ur reference to that camp could hold true to a game where Td threw the ball 5 ft over Johnson’s head on I think an out not sure. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a great arm. Means he just overthrew it move on to the next play. I’m glad we are where we are in terms of this argument or discussion. As a few have said, backups are one play away from winning a game.
I’m not sure what you just said, but yes I agree it’s a good thing we’re in this position and having these discussions. LGO sir.

In this offense you have to be able to put the ball where it belongs. In front of a running receiver, long passes with touch, get outs/screens and at the chains to move the chains. TD does this. The extra curricular stuff like mobility in the pocket and making something happen along with being an extra RB, CA offers a lot in that but we still don't know how he'll do with any type of real pressure. I'm excited to see this battle for QB1 and in a good way and I agree with those who said however the game is flowing and who is hot is the one taking snaps. Have to win the game.

You might want to dial it back a bit.

And that’s where we differ, like I’ve said multiple times I prefer an elite passer.
There is sooooo much more to playing the QB position than simply "arm talent". Besides, as much as I like TD, he has yet to prove he possesses "elite arm talent". He stats are pedestrian at best.

There is sooooo much more to playing the QB position than simply "arm talent". Besides, as much as I like TD, he has yet to prove he possesses "elite arm talent". He stats are pedestrian at best.

I wouldn’t judge his arm on freshman stats. With a freshman, you look at the best throws and set a ceiling above that. That’s why I think Tommy is the guy.

If Chance takes him, it will mean he’s Lamar Jackson 2.0.

It’s DeVito’s job to lose heading into his third year in Dino’s system.

Being fantastic vs FSU and UNC aside (how quickly some forget), he has a full year over Chance in Dino’s system.

Don’t stir up QB controvercy where it’s unfounded. Tommy’s shown plenty more than many would like to give him credit for.

It’s DeVito’s job to lose heading into his third year in Dino’s system.

Being fantastic vs FSU and UNC aside (how quickly some forget), he has a full year over Chance in Dino’s system.

Don’t stir up QB controvercy where it’s unfounded. Tommy’s show plenty more than many would like to give him credit for.
Yes, it is Devito's job to lose. What worries me is the fact that a pure pocket passer (Devito really hasn't proven that he is much of a running threat) will require a significant OL upgrade. Maybe that happens, and maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't, then Amie may be a better fit.

Yes, it is Devito's job to lose. What worries me is the fact that a pure pocket passer (Devito really hasn't proven that he is much of a running threat) will require a significant OL upgrade. Maybe that happens, and maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't, then Amie may be a better fit.
If an air raid offense can’t adjust to protect an arm like Devito’s then we have bigger issues

However, I believe DeVito will make more use of check downs and other safety valves to avoid pressure rather than having to use his legs like Dungey. Remains to be seen though. He has another offseason of conditioning and developing in Dino’s system ahead of him.

Just a reminder that a team that runs a similar offense as we do, though at a little slower pace, has done well with a mobile QB and a traditional drop back passer. Clemson seems to have survived with Deshaun Watson and is doing well with Sunshine.

First world CFB problems. I love them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors