Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

Thats true but a University can't make decisions or calls based off of what's on Social Media, that's insane. If we did that every institution would be inundated with lawsuits.

I agree the university's hands were somewhat tied, but I continue to maintain the biggest failings were in the area of PR. Do what you legally need to, and make it clear within the bounds of the law that you understand the discomfort of the situation.

If Desko didnt want to revoke the suspension but was forced to by Title IX, then thats one thing.

If Desko didn't want to play him or have him practice, but was ordered to by the administration as some were saying? Well...Desko is now bulletproof, at least for this offseason.

He's got a lot of PR leverage.

Desko's job was never in jeopardy over this situation, it was the W/L record that has him in trouble. This all came from above him.

Thats true but a University can't make decisions or calls based off of what's on Social Media, that's insane. If we did that every institution would be inundated with lawsuits.

No but if the players knew the details then the coaches knew the details and the coaches could have taken their own action. If there were university lawyers guiding the process, Desko could have politely said "nah I'm good this is my team, I call the shots here about who gets to practice and who doesn't and if you don't like that then tough." Maybe they'd have fired him. Maybe the Scanlan family would have sued him. Maybe absolutely nothing would have happened. Who knows. But he'd have done the right thing.

Desko's job was never in jeopardy over this situation, it was the W/L record that has him in trouble. This all came from above him.

My point is...if they told him to let him practice (not formally reinstate, I am talking about how he manages practices), and he didnt want to, he has a story to tell if the University fires him for ANY reason. Which I believe makes him bulletproof regardless of W-L record.

My point is...if they told him to let him practice (not formally reinstate, I am talking about how he manages practices), and he didnt want to, he has a story to tell if the University fires him for ANY reason

Exactly.

I agree the university's hands were somewhat tied, but I continue to maintain the biggest failings were in the area of PR. Do what you legally need to, and make it clear within the bounds of the law that you understand the discomfort of the situation.

PR could have been better for sure but your dealing with Title 9 issues, legal issues, Scanlan's heritage as a Native American bringing protected class into the picture, its a lot to unload. SU could have been better though, that PC was a disaster

PR could have been better for sure but your dealing with Title 9 issues, legal issues, Scanlan's heritage as a Native American bringing protected class into the picture, its a lot to unload. SU could have been better though, that PC was a disaster
That's all I am saying. Ive never called out the University for the reinstatement as distasteful as it was. Its how they handled the communications around the issue.

My point is...if they told him to let him practice (not formally reinstate, I am talking about how he manages practices), and he didnt want to, he has a story to tell if the University fires him for ANY reason. Which I believe makes him bulletproof regardless of W-L record.

That's a question only John Desko can answer and he's unlikely to tell us. This event should help SU draw up a better plan if a similar issue arises in the future.

No but if the players knew the details then the coaches knew the details and the coaches could have taken their own action. If there were university lawyers guiding the process, Desko could have politely said "nah I'm good this is my team, I call the shots here about who gets to practice and who doesn't and if you don't like that then tough." Maybe they'd have fired him. Maybe the Scanlan family would have sued him. Maybe absolutely nothing would have happened. Who knows. But he'd have done the right thing.

what did the players know? Did they actually witness it? If they didn’t it’s not “proof” of anything.

Yes. This.
I know we all love SU but can we finally let go the exercise of finding every excuse in the world to say The university DIDNT bungle this? They took the smoldering left behind by every mandate (legal mandates I don’t blame them for) and threw gasoline fueled stupidity all over it (this I do blame them for)

At the very least, they seem to (conveniently) interpret Title IX differently than I do.

At the very least, they seem to (conveniently) interpret Title IX differently than I do.

In all fairness you and SU almost always interpret things differently. ;)

One thing can be said with certainty - this has been an extremely difficult situation for the coaches and players. We need to remember that the players are very young and trying to deal with the pressure of playing for Cuse, recent ugly losses, injuries etc. with the Scanlan saga affecting every practice. Then the arrest just hours before the game.

I think we need to cut everyone some slack. A lot of seasoned corporate professionals would be seeking counselling and leaves of absence in a scenario like this has been.

My head is going to explode.

First, there is something to the point about the alleged victim coming forward. With few exceptions, under the new Title IX, only the victim can file a complaint.

Second, I'm not sure why Chase practicing, alone, matters at all? It was abundantly clear to anyone paying attention that his time on the team was coming to an end. I tend to agree with Capt. Tuttle that a removal from the team likely is not discipline as interpreted by Title IX. But why create an issue when the outcome here was always something of a foregone conclusion? Lacrosse PR? Like .5% of the population gives a crap about lacrosse. A smidge of patience goes a long way.

Last edited:

He could not be charged with assault under state law: she would have had to suffer an injury that caused physical impairment and/or “substantial pain” to rise to the level of a misdemeanor assault charge. Being physically attacked -- even resulting in bruising -- is not enough.

If he is guilty of these I am fine with him getting therapy while serving a not insignificant sentence in prison

i dont know all the details, and it seems he likely did something wrong, but im not sure i want society sending ppl to prison for misdemeanor criminal mischief charges.

i dont know all the details, and it seems he likely did something wrong, but im not sure i want society sending ppl to prison for misdemeanor criminal mischief charges.
I do want society sending people to prison for beating up their girlfriends.

I’m out tho...tired of the back and forth. Will watch from afar moving forward.

I hope that the girl gets the help she needs and he does too...but that he also is punished adequately for this. Seeing men abusing women makes me sick.

Last edited:
Reading the story about what's in the police reports, you gotta question Scanlan's father's "nothing happened, it was made up." Maybe he believed his son's lies?
Chase was made into Ike Turner. She threw a punch after he broke her phone. What’s her punishment? Don’t even know her name (SAY HER NAME like the back of NBA bubble jerseys) and he’s getting dragged like Ray Rice’s Mrs. Photo of a hole in the wall and everyone assumes he put her threw it although not the case according to DA but the damage is already done literally and figuratively.

Chase was made into Ike Turner. She threw a punch after he broke her phone. What’s her punishment? Don’t even know her name (SAY HER NAME like the back of NBA bubble jerseys) and he’s getting dragged like Ray Rice’s Mrs. Photo of a hole in the wall and everyone assumes he put her threw it although not the case according to DA but the damage is already done literally and figuratively.
Her punishment? The phk outta here with that.

Reading the story about what's in the police reports, you gotta question Scanlan's father's "nothing happened, it was made up." Maybe he believed his son's lies?
I’m with you on that and more concerned with his response that nothing had happened and it was blown out of proportion and nothing will come of it and it’ll go away.
Whatever it was he said has me confused though.

Everyone knows Chase has done wrong and needs to pay for what he has done, but there must be concern over Chase’s mental well being. This media circus could end with disaster and I don’t think anyone wants that.

I wish the victim and their family all the best and stand with the bravery that the team have shown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom