Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

social media was all over the place.
If social media was right he would've been facing about 5 felonies not a misdemeanor, what he did was simply wrong but what I'd read and heard and then reading the charges they didn't match up at all which is a good thing for all parties. The best thing for chase would be to get the help he needs and once that happens then focus on getting a 4 year college degree. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up at a D2 school similar to hayes mcginley who committed a similar offense.

Everyone knows Chase has done wrong and needs to pay for what he has done, but there must be concern over Chase’s mental well being. This media circus could end with disaster and I don’t think anyone wants that.

I wish the victim and their family all the best and stand with the bravery that the team have shown.
Agree with everything you said, he was wrong and screwed up big time but I don't think his life needs to be ruined and be thrown away like trash. If he can get some help for whatever his demons are then hopefully he can turn it around. I personally couldn't care less if he ever plays again, he is an extremely talented young man but some things are just more important than sports and getting well and having a future is definitely one of them.

This all seems a littl over excessive for breaking someones phone and then buying a new one for them during an argument...

If the womans ribs were really hurt and she went to doctors then they would have charged him with assault... but only thing he is charged with with is damaging someones property. Being arrested and suspended twice over a broken phone. One he replaced is ridiculous.

This all seems a littl over excessive for breaking someones phone and then buying a new one for them during an argument...

If the womans ribs were really hurt and she went to doctors then they would have charged him with assault... but only thing he is charged with with is damaging someones property. Being arrested and suspended twice over a broken phone. One he replaced is ridiculous.

he should be suspended based on what has been described. There shouldn’t be a lot of tolerance for this type of behavior because things can escalate terribly and end up worse. But, also, based on what is public, he shouldn’t go to jail or have his life ruined like some have suggested.

So - domestic violence is ok in your book, if the victim isn’t hurt too badly?

Al Capone was “only” charged with tax evasion.

Without the victim themselves pressing charges (which doesn’t look to have happened, or like it will) this is the charge that the DA can make stick, because there’s more than adequate evidence of the property damages.

Not according to NY State law. Broken ribs are assault, bruised ribs aren't...

Scanlan’s charges stem from two separate incidents during the night: misdemeanor criminal mischief, accusing him of breaking her iPhone by dropping it in a toilet and throwing it to the ground two times, and a non-criminal violation of harassment, accusing him of hitting her with a bathroom door and pushing her to the ground on her back after entering.

He could not be charged with assault under state law: She would have had to suffer an injury that caused physical impairment and/or “substantial pain” to rise to the level of a misdemeanor assault charge. Being physically attacked -- even resulting in bruising -- is not enough.

Chase was made into Ike Turner. She threw a punch after he broke her phone. What’s her punishment? Don’t even know her name (SAY HER NAME like the back of NBA bubble jerseys) and he’s getting dragged like Ray Rice’s Mrs. Photo of a hole in the wall and everyone assumes he put her threw it although not the case according to DA but the damage is already done literally and figuratively.
Dude. Wth?

Way to pick out the main points of the story.

No but if the players knew the details then the coaches knew the details and the coaches could have taken their own action. If there were university lawyers guiding the process, Desko could have politely said "nah I'm good this is my team, I call the shots here about who gets to practice and who doesn't and if you don't like that then tough." Maybe they'd have fired him. Maybe the Scanlan family would have sued him. Maybe absolutely nothing would have happened. Who knows. But he'd have done the right thing.
From a legal standpoint, a university employee willfully disregarding Title IX laws would put SU in a very bad position. It would likely be a termination level offense for Desko.

Have we heard his version of this situation? Haven’t been following this too closely and was just wondering if he had a different story to tell.

I certainly don’t have any concrete information on what happened, but for discussion let’s assume he broke her phone, bruised her ribs, and threatened to do more.

If someone did that to my daughter, I’d want him removed from the college and charged. And I wouldn’t think that would be excessive at all. He would be a danger to the campus community.

That being said, there is a process for this situation and trial by social media is never ok.

Have we heard his version of this situation? Haven’t been following this too closely and was just wondering if he had a different story to tell.
I think just his dad, saying it was all a nothingburger.

I certainly don’t have any concrete information on what happened, but for discussion let’s assume he broke her phone, bruised her ribs, and threatened to do more.

If someone did that to my daughter, I’d want him removed from the college and charged. And I wouldn’t think that would be excessive at all. He would be a danger to the campus community.

That being said, there is a process for this situation and trial by social media is never ok.
Not to mention, downplaying the situation because the victim wasn't more seriously hurt sends a bad signal to young men that it's ok to get physical as long as you don't break any bones and to young women that it's acceptable to be treated this way. It's no wonder so many women stay in abusive relationships.

I haven’t gone through the whole thread and not sure if it was mentioned or not. If anyone follows Rehfuss on Instagram, his story post a couple days ago says all you need to about the situation.

The players know what happened, coaches know what happened. Do you really think the team was ready to walk out of practice over a broken phone?

Not to mention, downplaying the situation because the victim wasn't more seriously hurt sends a bad signal to young men that it's ok to get physical as long as you don't break any bones and to young women that it's acceptable to be treated this way. It's no wonder so many women stay in abusive relationships.

I'm not sure or convinced that "so many" of today's women stay in these abusive relationships. Women, certainly young women, today have options and in many cases have just as much opportunity as men, as well as making equal/more money than their spouses or significant others. It's the women of yesteryear, the "housewife" types that had no/limited skills, options, etc. faced with the harsh reality of where would I go, what would I do, how do I live on my own, etc. It's the most significant reason in why so many stayed in such abusive relationships.

Today's young(er) modern women IMO would be "get the F out of here" and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. Not only has our culture evolved from "it's acceptable to be treated that way," but it's more like, why in the hell are you even with him, and/or you are frigging crazy to stay with him, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure or convinced that "so many" of today's women stay in these abusive relationships. Women, certainly young women, today have options and in many cases have just as much opportunity as men, as well as making equal/more money than their spouses or significant others. It's the women of yesteryear, the "housewife" types that had no/limited skills, options, etc. faced with the harsh reality of where would I go, what would I do, how do I live on my own, etc. and why so many stayed in such abusive relationships.

Today's young(er) modern women IMO would be "get the F out of here" and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. Not only has our culture evolved from "it's acceptable to be treated that way," but it's more like, why in the hell are you with him, and you are frigging crazy to stay with him, etc.

This whole post is so ignorant that I don't even know where to start.

Sounds like a young man with some serious demons - hope he can get the help he needs and get his life back on track. Thankfully the young woman wasn't seriously injured, certainly appears things could have ended up much worse.

I'm proud of the team and the way they've handled what has to be a very difficult situation.

I'm not sure or convinced that "so many" of today's women stay in these abusive relationships. Women, certainly young women, today have options and in many cases have just as much opportunity as men, as well as making equal/more money than their spouses or significant others. It's the women of yesteryear, the "housewife" types that had no/limited skills, options, etc. faced with the harsh reality of where would I go, what would I do, how do I live on my own, etc. It's the most significant reason in why so many stayed in such abusive relationships.

Today's young(er) modern women IMO would be "get the F out of here" and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. Not only has our culture evolved from "it's acceptable to be treated that way," but it's more like, why in the hell are you even with him, and/or you are frigging crazy to stay with him, etc.
I had an employee who was in a same sex relationship that was emotionally I and financially controlling, if not abusive. She was in her mid-to-late 20s. Staying is about the person. Abusers aren’t always men.

This whole post is so ignorant that I don't even know where to start.

Please enlighten me.

Do you think it was far more common that women of yesteryear stayed in abusive relationships, etc. than of young(er) women today? Do you disagree with the points I mentioned playing a large role in why so many women stay?

Chase was made into Ike Turner. She threw a punch after he broke her phone. What’s her punishment? Don’t even know her name (SAY HER NAME like the back of NBA bubble jerseys) and he’s getting dragged like Ray Rice’s Mrs. Photo of a hole in the wall and everyone assumes he put her threw it although not the case according to DA but the damage is already done literally and figuratively.
Worst post of the year?

1. An estimated 2 to 4 million women in the United States are abused each year.
2. Louisiana ranks as the second highest state in the United States for homicides related to domestic violence.
3. Half of women that are homeless with children are victims fleeing from domestic violence.
4. 1 in every 3 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
5. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women who are between the ages of 15 and 44.
Women between the ages of 16 and 24 are at the highest risk for domestic violence and sexual assault.
28% of students in high school and college experience some form of dating violence.
3.3 million children are exposed to family members committing violence against their mothers or female caretakers.
9. Male children that witness or experience violence in their home are three times more likely to become batterers.
10. Fathers who batter children mothers are twice as likely to seek sole physical custody of children than non violent fathers.

I had an employee who was in a same s e x relationship that was emotionally I and financially controlling, if not abusive. She was in her mid-to-late 20s. Staying is about the person. Abusers aren’t always men.

No they are not. However, the main premise of the topic at hand being discussed here is relative to the man vs. woman relationship and its related behavioral history. And, I'm not implying that young(er) women are still not still somewhat susceptible to it or still experience it, but more along the lines of being far less tolerable to it, therefore, they don't stick around as they once did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom