Chukwu? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu?

All of the above comments considered, I think it's obvious we will have all the ingredients for what might be the best Orange team in the past decade or so. Barring any early departures, keeping everyone healthy and eligible, we will be deep, talented, and poised to rise to the top of the ACC and the Nation.

It will mark the first time in a long time that we will have a good frontcourt and a good backcourt. It's been surprising that nobody has mentioned Craig Forth (the mummy) and the value he provided as a 7 footer anchoring the zone. He could be absolutely frustrating on offense at times but was a good passer and his presence was a much under appreciated component in our only National Championship.

It's no accident that JB established his 3 year timetable for retirement. To think he isn't anticipating being able to make a run at another title with the mix he will have next year would be foolish.

I'm not so preoccupied with how good his post game is . Historically were not very good at getting the ball into the post anyway

I'm more interested in his garbage man factor .. His ability to corral a board and finish. We won't be needing him to show us some refined post moves

I hear he is an elite shot blocker. Not so elite on offense. He needs to get stronger and is making progress on that front.

Think of a skinnier, slightly more athletic, less angry, more academically oriented Fab Melo.

I would say that Chukwu is going to be a cross between Baye Keita and Amida Brimah of UConn. I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman back for a semblance of a post up game, next year.

What Chukwu does offer us offensively is a guy who can throw down an alley pop, but I'm not so sure we'll have the type of guards to throw too many of them for him next year.

Wish we had him this year. I think we could be a Final Four-type team with a defender in the paint of his quality. Yes, even after the last two rock fights. Our perimeter defense will win in the tournament - Lydon is just too weak down low and Coleman can't move well enough. Chukwu would allow Lydon to play his natural wing position, would also allow Richardson to move to guard at times.

But can't wait for next year. Think we have a chance to be really good.

He's only gained 9 pounds from the summer until Feb? Was hoping for more than that.

It's tough for some people to gain weight at that age, especially when you're 7'2".

He's only gained 9 pounds from the summer until Feb? Was hoping for more than that.
That's 9 pounds in 6+ months. You can't be too disappointed. ;)

Also, I really hope the staff spends time working on post-entry passes next fall. With Chukwu eligible and DC (and Lydon if he plays 5) returning, I think our guys are capable of more low-block scoring IF our guards can feed the post.

In the last 3 games, I've seen both Lydon and DC set up perfectly for low-block passes only to get skunked. It's not that our guards are inexperienced, they're just too high to deliver low-block passes, which have to come from the side ..to the lower outside corner of the back board.

Last edited:

Think of the amount of running he does in practice every day. 9 pounds of good weight is quite a bit in 6 months. If he duplicates that between now and the start of practice in October [8 months or so], he'll weigh 235 at the start of the season and be trending in the right direction.

I have a few pounds he can borrow. I was initially a little disappointed to hear only 9 pounds but RF does have a good point about running every day. Just needs to keep moving in the right direction. At least it's not like he's Bill Celuck - not that Bill wasn't awesome especially sporting the orange jersey, white shorts look.

CTYyHKxUkAAF4wj.jpg:large

Interesting contrast between this year's and next year's teams ... almost an inverse with the back court/front court rotations. Great back court and equally limited front court this season. We knew this going in, as 2 of the 3 front court starters haven't played extended minutes recently ... we have a freshmen SF and our starting center hasn't balled in 2 years. There's also no shot-blocker and the tallest guy is 6-9. Obviously, Roberson's emerged as a force on the glass and his offense is better. Lydon has provided depth and some scoring. But overall, our interior defense has been our achilles heal and (except for Lydon) bench scoring is non-existent. The back court is the bright spot ... with two senior/5th year veterans providing consistent scoring and excellent decision-making, ball-handling and defense.

Next year it switches. Our back court becomes the less experienced unit, with limited depth and only one returning starter. Obviously, Battle and Richardson (and Howard providing depth) may be one of the tallest and most talented back courts we've had since Dion and MCW were here. But the biggest upgrade will be on the front line, which suddenly becomes much deeper and longer. At 7'2, Chukwu brings elite size and shot-blocking. DC (assuming he returns) adds experience and some post offense. We also have very capable returning forwards in Roberson and Lydon, and depth with Moyer and possibly Thompson (who can back up either center or PF). That's a loaded front court that will help on offense but be able to defend anyone in conference, and maybe the country.

All that said, I'm expecting that early on (until late January), we will struggle to score against better teams. On offense, we'll have to replace 30 points we're getting from our back court this year. I'm hoping we can get 10 ppg out of Battle, and that Richardson's 13.4 ppg will go up to 16-17. The rest will have to come from Lydon (going from 8.7 to 10-12) and Roberson (going from 9.7 to 12-15). Our TO's may jump with less experience up top, and we won't have that veteran presence on D. We may see occasional offensive flashes from Chukwu and Battle, but clearly there's going to be an adjustment with MR, Lydon and Roberson having to shoulder the scoring load.

Once we reach mid-late January, I'm expecting a little more offense inside, great defense (especially on the interior) and look for the Battle/Richardson duo to explode. With better interior defense and shot-blocking, I'm anticipating the return of our lethal transition game.

You had me up to the part "we will struggle to score". I think once teams realize they can't guard Battle driving to the basket it's going to cause enough havoc to open up other scorers. At that point we will keep opposing defenses off balance. This is what is happening this year with Malachi driving to the basket. As soon as he does it then our outside shooting opens up. I think Battle is going to be much better driving to the basket. And Malachi is going to be better at it. We will have a one-two punch plus kick outs to Lydon making 3s. I think next year's team is going to be really good. Plus MR and TB making steals to fast breaks to lightning bolt transition points. I think next year's team is going to be amazing and so much fun to watch.

Whats needed from Chukwu is for him to become the "Sultan of swat"!

And more importantly good at running the court and getting into position on defense. His ability just to threaten and alter shots will also be just as important as blocks.

All of the above comments considered, I think it's obvious we will have all the ingredients for what might be the best Orange team in the past decade or so. Barring any early departures, keeping everyone healthy and eligible, we will be deep, talented, and poised to rise to the top of the ACC and the Nation.

It will mark the first time in a long time that we will have a good frontcourt and a good backcourt. It's been surprising that nobody has mentioned Craig Forth (the mummy) and the value he provided as a 7 footer anchoring the zone. He could be absolutely frustrating on offense at times but was a good passer and his presence was a much under appreciated component in our only National Championship.

It's no accident that JB established his 3 year timetable for retirement. To think he isn't anticipating being able to make a run at another title with the mix he will have next year would be foolish.

Best team in a decade? We had two legit NC favorites and a team who went to the final four. Baring injury and some academic issues we possibly have 2 championships this past decade. I'm a big fan of next years squad, but best team we've had in a decade is crazy talk.

And more importantly good at running the court and getting into position on defense. His ability just to threaten and alter shots will also be just as important as blocks.

I think having the specter of ,"the big guy looming (inside)" (copyright: Bill Raftery) will make our zone very intimidating. We will have tremendous size up front and down low and can extend the zone. Enter the paint at your own risk. Good luck shooting over 7'2". As long as Chewie is serviceable on offense and can learn to contest without fouling, our d could be filthy. And our d will feed our o.

Last edited:
I think having the specter of ,"the big guy looming (inside)" will make our zone very intimidating. We will have tremendous size up front and down low and can extend the zone. Entef the paint at your own risk. Good luck shooting over 7'2". As long as Chewie is serviceable on offense and can learn to contest without fouling, our d could be filthy. And our d will feed our o.

Are you kidding! It's like the first day driving around in a new car! I can't wait to see how he looks in the zone!

My favorite parts: Cereberal while learning the zone assignments, wants to become an offensive force, good foul shooter, doesn't have to practice shot blocking because it comes naturally to him. Bring on Chewbacca!!!

Great article about Raf watching the game and reminiscing about Pearl at the bottom of that page too.

I think having the specter of ,"the big guy looming (inside)" (copyright: Bill Raftery) will make our zone very intimidating. We will have tremendous size up front and down low and can extend the zone. Enter the paint at your own risk. Good luck shooting over 7'2". As long as Chewie is serviceable on offense and can learn to contest without fouling, our d could be filthy. And our d will feed our o.

not to mention, if used correctly, he could probably set one hell of a pick...just not sure about the roll

You had me up to the part "we will struggle to score". I think once teams realize they can't guard Battle driving to the basket it's going to cause enough havoc to open up other scorers. At that point we will keep opposing defenses off balance. This is what is happening this year with Malachi driving to the basket. As soon as he does it then our outside shooting opens up. I think Battle is going to be much better driving to the basket. And Malachi is going to be better at it. We will have a one-two punch plus kick outs to Lydon making 3s. I think next year's team is going to be really good. Plus MR and TB making steals to fast breaks to lightning bolt transition points. I think next year's team is going to be amazing and so much fun to watch.
I think all those things will happen .. just think we may struggle to score against better OOC and ACC teams until mid-to late January. It's not the 2, 3 or 4 I'm concerned about. If Lydon starts at SF, he'll be fine there bookended with Robi at the 4. Mali will be fine at the 2, really his natural position. But Chukwu's got to learn all the responsibilities of anchoring the zone and defending ACC level bigs. We'll have some inexperienced bench players that will take time. Even the talented Battle will be a freshman learning the zone and defending ACC level guards. I don't know if it'll take a month, or two. But it's only a matter of time before there's thunder and lightening with that back court. We'll be dangerous defensively, and hopefully our inside scoring will come around. DC coming back will help, as will Thompson if he comes in. Moyer also figures to add depth at PF.

Last edited:
He's 4 Star in all the services. Odd he no interest in us before. Congrats to the staff in changing this.

https://n./content/prospects/maple/142364

Think of the amount of running he does in practice every day. 9 pounds of good weight is quite a bit in 6 months.
Yeah, it's really tough for basketball players to gain good weight because of their practice regiment. MMA fighters are the same way, which is why tons of them get popped for PEDs (and now a bunch are looking a little less ripped since UFC went to much much stricter testing). There's no easy way to gain/keep 25lbs of lean body mass while burning 2,000 calories a practice session without some pharmaceutical help.

I think all those things will happen .. just think we may struggle to score against better OOC and ACC teams until mid-to late January. It's not the 2, 3 or 4 I'm concerned about. If Lydon starts at SF, he'll be fine there bookended with Robi at the 4. Mali will be fine at the 2, really his natural position. But Chukwu's got to learn all the responsibilities of anchoring the zone and defending ACC level bigs. We'll have some inexperienced bench players that will take time. Even the talented Battle will be a freshman learning the zone and defending ACC level guards. I don't know if it'll take a month, or two. But it's only a matter of time before there's thunder and lightening with that back court. We'll be dangerous defensively, and hopefully our inside scoring will come around. DC coming back will help, as will Thompson if he comes in. Moyer also figures to add depth at PF.

I think we both agree PC is not going to be Fred Kaminsky drop stepping to the basket from the foul line. But all he has to is rebound, keep the ball high, and do put backs. Which is really not an easy shot and requires a lot of practice. When PC holds the ball high it will require someone to jump just to touch it! With his height I would think shooting high off the glass put backs would be money. But again, these rebound put back shots are really hard shots and require a lot of practice.

Best team in a decade? We had two legit NC favorites and a team who went to the final four. Baring injury and some academic issues we possibly have 2 championships this past decade. I'm a big fan of next years squad, but best team we've had in a decade is crazy talk.
I agree. Next year will definitely be a Top 25/Sweet 16/maybe Elite Eight type season, but 2017-18 (as long as Mal and Lydon don't decide to jump as sophs) could be our next shot at a #1 seed/Final Four favorite. We will be stacked.

Yeah, it's really tough for basketball players to gain good weight because of their practice regiment. MMA fighters are the same way, which is why tons of them get popped for PEDs (and now a bunch are looking a little less ripped since UFC went to much much stricter testing). There's no easy way to gain/keep 25lbs of lean body mass while burning 2,000 calories a practice session without some pharmaceutical help.
Yet somehow they go from 215 at weigh-in to 235 2-3 days later.

I think we both agree PC is not going to be Fred Kaminsky drop stepping to the basket from the foul line. But all he has to is rebound, keep the ball high, and do put backs. Which is really not an easy shot and requires a lot of practice. When PC holds the ball high it will require someone to jump just to touch it! With his height I would think shooting high off the glass put backs would be money. But again, these rebound put back shots are really hard shots and require a lot of practice.

What would really be cool would be to have a 18 foot high or adjustable ball shoot. What this will do is someone could drop a ball and it drops straight down to some spot on the rim hopefully creating a similar bounce each time. This way someone could practice rebounding or put back shots in relatively the same bounce pattern each time. Maybe it would not work. But it would be great to somehow position the ball to the same spot every time after bouncing off the rim. Rebounding and put backs are very tough to practice because you almost have to just learn during game conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom