Coach Boeheim | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know why he got 40 yesterday. Jim got fed up with Joe, so once he permanently parked him on the bench Buddy was never coming out again. Because Buddy is playing 2 in this “rotation” and only when a Kadary/Joe combo happens is when he sits.

Of course, he *could* play Griffin at the 2 for a stretch. Which would open up some minutes for Braswell/Newton at the 3. Or he could go Griff at 2, with one of the skinny tall guys at Center, and have Marek/Q at their natural 4/3. But I’m not a coach and I’m sure that’s just crazy talk.
Griffin would be a good fit at the 2 which is actually his natural position. He and Kadary at the top would be a nice, long backcourt which would also allow for Sidibe to get inserted back in at Center and Marek moved to his more natural position.

Players are being forced to play out of position, so Buddy can play the 2. I guarantee we would be a lot better defensively with this lineup. The lack of offense theory no longer applies either, because neither Joe nor Buddy are scoring now anyway. Heck, even putting Woody or Braswell in at forward and moving Griffin to SG still makes us a better team.

It's time for a change, but we know we will not see that lineup.

Just did some research. The highest this team has been ranked in last 7 years (including this season) is 14th. This tells me a few things - ACC teams are much better. Recruiting has dropped insanely. And the entire year is based on if they make the tournament and do well and that’s all JB cares about. I can’t imagine how mediocre they would be if you take out the cupcake games. But 14th in 7 years? Cmon man make some adjustments
That 14th ranking was after we won the Battle for Atlantis and beat UConn and Texas A&M.

We went from unranked to 14th.
Then lost to Wisconsin at home and at St. John’s and fell out the next week.
That team made the Final Four though.

That 14th ranking was after we won the Battle for Atlantis and beat UConn and Texas A&M.

The post you made recently in another thread where we have not been ranked come conference play (so basically come January till season's end) the past 7 seasons is simply staggering. And, IMO, speaks volumes/ for itself as to the state of the program. Ugh!

And I guess that’s the thing. What’s important for fans or what do we want more ? Sustained success throughout the season or a fluke team that wins a few games in the tourney and say oh that’s a final four team so it was a great year ? Even though those teams have upwards of 14 losses

And I guess that’s the thing. What’s important for fans or what do we want more ? Sustained success throughout the season or a fluke team that wins a few games in the tourney and say oh that’s a final four team so it was a great year ? Even though those teams have upwards of 14 losses

In my view, the fans clearly want more. Sustained success during the season (which we had been accustomed to for years) along with general success in the tourney with that occasional great run. The FF run in '16 was sweet, and I was there in Houston in all its glory at the team hotel, etc. But, it clearly masked what was already happening relative to our slide, etc. The difference now is that instead of looking back just a year or so to that amazing and miraculous run, it has now been 5 consecutive seasons of wash, rinse-repeat sandwiched between the couple that preceded that FF.

Fun fact... in SU’s six NCAA Tournament games in 2003, Carmelo played 40 minutes exactly one time. The most important games of the season, and arguably the greatest player in SU history maxed out on minutes once. But Buddy played 40, while having an off night, in an early conference game in January. The mind boggles.
Buddy only guy yesterday to play 40 while going 0 for 8 from 3

For me it's regular season success. The older I've gotten the less I've worried about postseason success because crazy things can happen in a one game do or die scenario. Postseason success is still important, but I just want to watch a good basketball team during the winter.

For me it's regular season success. The older I've gotten the less I've worried about postseason success because crazy things can happen in a one game do or die scenario. Postseason success is still important, but I just want to watch a good basketball team during the winter.
Im the opposite.
For better or worse college bball is all about the postseason. If we have a mediocre year, make a run in the ACCT & get to an Elite8/Final4, that’s unquestionably a better season than winning 27 games, losing in the conference quarterfinals or 1st/2nd Rd NCAAT.
We’ve all experienced both scenarios and my preference is to play FOR the postseason, not wearing down my team by overplaying guys, w/out developing a bench, & then praying the whole thing doesn’t get derailed by injury, academic suspension, or worse. All i want to see is a team that’s getting better and peaking in February/March, rather than November/December.
I wish it wasn’t so, but that’s the Cbb game right now. JMHO

If we are good in the regular season then we can go on runs in March as well.
If I had to pick and you guaranteed me tournament success I would take that. However I don’t think medicore regular season will be sustained to lead to March success.

It's all packaged up in the responses so I wont pile on. To add a separate layer, there is now distance between JB's HOF dominance and the mediocrity of the past 5 yrs. What is the importance? Well even if it's another year, there is still an incredible brand, the largest On Campus Hoops venue in the country and a there would no doubt be a long line of coaches wanting all those behind him to take on a premier job without coming in behind someone who just handed over annual FF expectations. It would be best if it didn't fade much more but still there is so much you can do here weather and location be damned. Outside hire to bring new blood and energy. Keep the respect to the legacy alive but with new ideas.

Im the opposite.
For better or worse college bball is all about the postseason. If we have a mediocre year, make a run in the ACCT & get to an Elite8/Final4, that’s unquestionably a better season than winning 27 games, losing in the conference quarterfinals or 1st/2nd Rd NCAAT.
We’ve all experienced both scenarios and my preference is to play FOR the postseason, not wearing down my team by overplaying guys, w/out developing a bench, & then praying the whole thing doesn’t get derailed by injury, academic suspension, or worse. All i want to see is a team that’s getting better and peaking in February/March, rather than November/December.

I think that's subjective -- i.e., "all about the postseason."

I would much rather be consistently great -- top 15 for the full year, playing an exciting brand of basketball -- than lose 14 games every year and hope that the stars align for three weeks at the end of the season.

I'm tired of getting rolled by mediocre teams. I'm tired of being on the bubble. I'm tired of letting lesser opponents dictate game tempo to US because of the defensive style we play. I'm tired of watching scrubs dominate us on the glass. I would much rather have what we had between 2010 - 2012 than what's come afterwards.

It's all packaged up in the responses so I wont pile on. To add a separate layer, there is now distance between JB's HOF dominance and the mediocrity of the past 5 yrs. What is the importance? Well even if it's another year, there is still an incredible brand, the largest On Campus Hoops venue in the country and a there would no doubt be a long line of coaches wanting all those behind him to take on a premier job. It would be best if it didn't fade much more but still there is so much you can do here weather and location be damned. Outside hire to bring new blood and energy. Keep the respect to the legacy alive but with new ideas.

Not worried in the least about getting an up&coming top name to come to SU, plenty of candidates out there, IMO.
The real issue is that age-old question: “Do you wanna be the guy that replaced the legend, or the guy that replaced the replacement for the legend”?
Most coaches want to come in after the 1st replacement stumbles so they can do things their way. Which probably means this is just the beginning of some long seasons for this program.

Im the opposite.

That's fair, I have no issue if you feel the opposite. I just want to be able to flip on a game on a January/February afternoon and see SU ranked and playing well.

Not worried in the least about getting an up&coming top name to come to SU, plenty of candidates out there, IMO.
The real issue is that age-old question: “Do you wanna be the guy that replaced the legend, or the guy that replaced the replacement for the legend”?
Most coaches want to come in after the 1st replacement stumbles so they can do things their way. Which probably means this is just the beginning of some long seasons for this program.

That's one possible outcome.

Another would be that we hire a highly qualified candidate, and that person gets us back on track because the program is an institution with lots of advantages [i.e., biggest on campus sports facility in college hoops, a great practice facility, playing in an elite conference against several blue chip programs, etc.].

There will be no shortage of candidates lining up for the opportunity when the time comes, IMO.

This isn't directed at you Doctor Bombay, at all -- just making a general point here -- but I think that many people only view change through the lens of prospective bad outcomes / negative consequences. Change can also result in opportunity.

Last edited:

I would much rather be consistently great -- top 15 for the full year, playing an exciting brand of basketball -- than lose 14 games every year and hope that the stars align for three weeks at the end of the season.

I'm tired of getting rolled by mediocre teams. I'm tired of being on the bubble. I'm tired of letting lesser opponents dictate game tempo to US because of the defensive style we play. I'm tired of watching scrubs dominate us on the glass. I would much rather have what we had between 2010 - 2012 than what's come afterwards.
Yes, it’s most definitely subjective & for 30+ years we had the very scenario you described. Top20, top 4 in conference, 20+ wins w/ under double digit losses, & a Sweet16- THAT was a “typical” Syracuse season.
But w/ the quality of play & level of talent in recent years, I’ve resigned myself to perennially hope we can just catch fire & finish strong. But overall i still prefer a postseason run regardless of our regular season record, over anything else. JMHO

Last edited:

Agree. I think a 30 game regular season is more representative of where you are as a program, but yeah, the postseason is what people remember.

I think JB’s passion is for coaching his son. It’s the cherry on top of a long, successful career. Buddy will finish as one of the most prolific scorers in program history. I think that’s enough for him now.

Yeah, said it when we seemingly overnight transitioned into the type of team we played zone to beat - the "fool's gold" sharpshooting squad - it was pretty clear the program's entire existence was intended for Buddy to make the record books.....or not.

Strike a deal with the NCAA. If JB retires at the end of the year, he gets his wins back. Their only incentive to agree is they’ve wanted JB out all along, presumably. And, JB would be back over 1000 wins.

I have ben reading this forum for years but decided to join to weigh in on this topic. Like many have said it's time to retire. I like Buddy and he seems like a great kid. He should not be playing 35-40 minutes a game. How many minutes would he play on the teams in the span of 2008-2013? This really shows how recruiting has plummeted. It is even more frustrating when Buddy is off and JB still sticks with him and never gets on him for shooting when he shouldn't or his terrible defense. I never though when Buddy committed JB would favor him so badly. What shooting guard would ever come here while Buddy is still on the roster?

I'm not sure what to even say about Joe. He doesn't even look like a D1 guard this year. He is so frustrating when he jacks up 3's from so freaking deep. It's frustrating...this is not Glen's Falls anymore. It seems like Richmond's playing time has gone downhill which is also frustrating. He has not been great lately but neither have the other two guards. Great teams have great guard play. Maybe give Joe and Buddy a run and if they are off try Richmond and Griffin?

It also gets under my skin how JB says we don't have the guys to bang down low and will have to do what we can. He recruits the players!!! For once recruit a player who weighs more than 200 lbs. If I remember Buffalo had a couple big/solid guys down low. You have to offer these kids to get one.

The last thing is how predictable SU is. 100% zone. I know it's been beat to death but maybe mix in a little M2M (5-10%) just to confuse the other team. Try pressing once in a while after a make other than when behind 10 or more points. How about having guys rebound when we are shooting free throws?? And lastly treat the guys equally when they make mistakes. I can see why a 17 or 18 year old might not want to play here in fear of getting in that dog house. In the last few years we have missed out on numerous guys from Rochester and Albany. Why?

I'm a Yankees & Bills fan but my #1 team is SU Basketball and I am hopeful things can change on the hill soon or otherwise we will continue to be stuck in this bubble team rut that we have been for the last 6-7 years. I'm fearful the AD works for JB more than the other way around so I'm not optimistic but fingers crossed. Go SU!

assistants are all former players, theres no outside perspective and new ideas, just all group think= Stale program
I thought they needed to hire an outside voice who JB would actually respect after Hop left. Either a charismatic guy who could bring in top Recruits or what Beilein did at Michigan. Beilein’s last few years at UM, he hired an assailant coach known for his defensive acumen, which Beilein acknowledged was weakness and blind spot of his. Michigan subsequently improved its defensive efficiency in such a dramatic way that it was the strength of the team. But that would require JB to actually be humble and acknowledge he doesn’t know everything and that the game has changed. We know that would never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom