Coach P | Syracusefan.com

Coach P

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Do you think the school will ever honor him?

I was not a big fan of Coach P but I respect what he did while here

I think to truly exorcise the Gerg demons, we should honor Coach P

Reactions: FAL
Do you think the school will ever honor him?

I was not a big fan of Coach P but I respect what he did while here

I think to truly exorcise the Gerg demons, we should honor Coach P

Not trying to be smart, but why? We had some above average years, had some average years, and had some below average years during his tenure. Not sure he's worthy of being honored? Sorry, just my opinion.

Given the revolving door of coaches we've had and the number of years he spent on the Hill, yes. Hopefully he would be willing to.

Not trying to be smart, but why? We had some above average years, had some average years, and had some below average years during his tenure. Not sure he's worthy of being honored? Sorry, just my opinion.

He took us to bowl games that we could only dream of going to now, did things end well?, no but he won a lot of games. A bad year for him was going to the Liberty bowl.

He took us to bowl games that we could only dream of going to now, did things end well?, no but he won a lot of games. A bad year for him was going to the Liberty bowl.

Ultimately I consider him (personal opinion, others can have different ones) a slightly above average head coach overall. We had years we should have won 10+ games with the talent we had and we ended up 7-8-9. I don't think we had a team that overachieved outside of the 10-3 season in 2001.

Are we honoring slightly above average these days, just because we have had so far below average lately? I'm not sure. I wouldn't.

(Again these are my opinions - others are able to have different ones.)

Well then why give so much love to Mac while we're at it? Old Ben had so so years too, although it clear why he deserves honor.

P was a class act, and is the all time winningest coach in big east history. Enuff for me.

With a Syracuse guy in place as the AD, I can see the school offering it up to him.

Ultimately I consider him (personal opinion, others can have different ones) a slightly above average head coach overall. We had years we should have won 10+ games with the talent we had and we ended up 7-8-9. I don't think we had a team that overachieved outside of the 10-3 season in 2001.

Are we honoring slightly above average these days, just because we have had so far below average lately? I'm not sure. I wouldn't.

(Again these are my opinions - others are able to have different ones.)

He did lose some games he should have won, is there anyone here that wouldn't sign up for a 10-3 season right now? I would sign up for a 7-5 year. Coach P is starting to look pretty good right now.

We would all sign up for 7-5 immediately. Everyone wants to get the program back to what P did consistently.

2nd most wins in school history, one losing year in 14 seasons. They should honor the guy and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

There should be a statue of him on campus after what has gone on since he left.

There should be a statue of him on campus after what has gone on since he left.

Who knows? Maybe it's the board member that demanded his firing at halftime of the GT game that is standing in the way of his return to campus?

LONG LONG OVERDUE. Simply put, his contributions to Syracuse football are top notch. He never embarrassed the school, he graduated kids and won a ton of bowl games and high octane college games.

I would expect, when his time with BC is done, that this is done correctly. He wasn't the best coach ever but certainly the right coach for Syracuse throughout the 90s. We could have done a helluva lot worse in that era.

He deserves to be honored by SU. A class act who gave us all many great memories of players we could only dream of getting today. Not only that, if he hadn't gotten the nod when Mac left it would have been Randy. Thank you Paul!

You're not serious? Really ?

Why?

He won over 100 games at Syracuse University.

He had three ten win seasons.

He had three nine win seasons.

He went to nine bowl games including two Fiesta Bowls, an Orange Bowl and Gator and Liberty Bowls.

He won four Big East Championships.

I presume that some will say that it was all Dick McPherson. That's argument that Dave Rahme has laid to rest many times over.

And by the way, have you noticed how hard it is to win at Syracuse University? Have you been watching what has happened over the past ten years?

Sometimes our fan base truly amazes me.

His not ending well was a Co-Big East Championship - and a bowl appearance with wins against BC, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers et al.

I would take that now in heartbeat.

You're not serious? Really ?

Why?

He won over 100 games at Syracuse University.

He had three ten win seasons.

He had three nine win seasons.

He went to nine bowl games including two Fiesta Bowls, an Orange Bowl and Gator and Liberty Bowls.

He won four Big East Championships.

I presume that some will say that it was all Dick McPherson. That's argument that Dave Rahme has laid to rest many times over.

And by the way, have you noticed how hard it is to win at Syracuse University? Have you been watching what has happened over the past ten years?

Sometimes our fan base truly amazes me.

Agenda, I'm pretty sure he was one of those anybody would be better than P guys.

Should it happen, absolutely.

Will it happen, doubt it.

If you look at his body of work, he's absolutely worthy of being honored. Things tailing off at the end left a bad taste in our mouths (and he's no Mac) - but he kept things at a nice clip for a good while and recruited some of the best players in our history.

His win % is pretty solid too.

upload_2016-9-20_16-33-42.png

107 wins. 64% winning percentage. 7 AP post top 25 rankings in 14 years. 9 bowls in 14 seasons, 4 BE titles. 6-3 in bowls. 3 10 win seasons.

Now, the case can be made that his high point was with Mac's recruits and that he underachieved during the McNabb years and I think there is some validity in both those points. It is also worth noting that based on pre-season AP ranking, his teams overachieved as much as underachieved when compared to post season ranking (4 seasons show improvement, 4 show regression).

I think that overall, he does deserve to join Coach Mac. IMO it's almost ridiculous not to have him honored.

107-59-1 Career record here.

That's pretty damn good. People can bash him, but the numbers are the numbers. Produced lots of pros. Won a lot of games. One of the reasons I moved back here was Syracuse football. That was 12 long years ago.

Sigh...

If you look at his body of work, he's absolutely worthy of being honored. Things tailing off at the end left a bad taste in our mouths (and he's no Mac) - but he kept things at a nice clip for a good while and recruited some of the best players in our history.

His win % is pretty solid too.

Things tailing off at the end were the direct result of a very myopic administration with absolutely no foresight.

Things tailing off at the end were the direct result of a very myopic administration with absolutely no foresight.

That was a part of it. But I think the college game started to pass him by a little too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom