Coach P | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach P

View attachment 76449

107 wins. 64% winning percentage. 7 AP post top 25 rankings in 14 years. 9 bowls in 14 seasons, 4 BE titles. 6-3 in bowls. 3 10 win seasons.

Now, the case can be made that his high point was with Mac's recruits and that he underachieved during the McNabb years and I think there is some validity in both those points. It is also worth noting that based on pre-season AP ranking, his teams overachieved as much as underachieved when compared to post season ranking (4 seasons show improvement, 4 show regression).

I think that overall, he does deserve to join Coach Mac. IMO it's almost ridiculous not to have him honored.

Ah a good ol Coach P debate but this one making a surprise in season appearance. I thought we usually reserved these for the off-season. But I agree pretty much with this entire post.

If Babers reaches P's success, they'll build a shrine for him at SU.
I don't necessarily disagree that P should be honored, but if Babers was given the players that P inherited, there's a good chance we're in the playoff next year.

I don't necessarily disagree that P should be honored, but if Babers was given the players that P inherited, there's a good chance we're in the playoff next year.

He didn't inherit anything, he was an integral part of the program in 87 and onward. He helped recruit those guys, he didn't come in from the outside.

Last edited:
But how many 1-AA games did P win?

Just one. Rhode Island in 2002. I guess I'm missing your point or why that question even came up. Did you think he had a lot of them?

iStock_000042260616Small.jpg

Things tailing off at the end were the direct result of a very myopic administration with absolutely no foresight.

P was too much of a good soldier while that was going on. Maybe he was pounding desks and kicking chairs behind the scenes, but at some point you need to go public with those grievances.

I don't think anyone should be honored until this program gets back on its winning ways. That would be a thank you to the honoree and the right timing for the program.

Should be a major event when the program is back and has a big game

Shelve the agendas, good person who won and did his best with results

I'd be there and I was critical at the time. But that's not the totality of it all

That was a part of it. But I think the college game started to pass him by a little too.
His HC tenure at uconn is proof of that.

Nevertheless, it doesn't take away what Syracuse Football accomplished under his watch during his 14 years here. I fell in love with SU Football while he was coach. I really, really miss the days when wins against Pitt and BC could be taken for granted.

He should be honored when he's retired from coaching and the program is in a healthy state (if that ever happens).

It would be interesting to see if he would agree to be feted. And his tenure did not end well, or comfortably. Some people have long memories, no matter how good a person they are. I have no idea if P is one of those people.

Sounds like an incredibly stupid idea to me.

SU has to search around in it's attic to find the last FB coach they can say something good about?

It smacks of desperation. Like something Rutgers would do because they don't have any tradition.

And it's not like P covered himself in glory after he left and SU would want to associate themselves with this coaching icon.

Why would the school want to do this? That is other than to appease the few P-apologists on this board who still feel he got a rotten deal.

SU has to search around in it's attic to find the last FB coach they can say something good about?

It smacks of desperation. Like something Rutgers would do because they don't have any tradition.

And it's not like P covered himself in glory after he left and SU would want to associate themselves with this coaching icon.

Why would the school want to do this? That is other than to appease the few P-apologists on this board who still feel he got a rotten deal.

MacPherson failed miserably when he left Syracuse too. He was completely overmatched with the Patriots. Laughably so.

I don't know why we're so embarassed by P's success. He fizzled out at the end but to fizzle out you need to have been successful.

Not sure it's desperation. I think it's appreciation of a wonderful era for Syracuse football.

View attachment 76449

107 wins. 64% winning percentage. 7 AP post top 25 rankings in 14 years. 9 bowls in 14 seasons, 4 BE titles. 6-3 in bowls. 3 10 win seasons.

Now, the case can be made that his high point was with Mac's recruits and that he underachieved during the McNabb years and I think there is some validity in both those points. It is also worth noting that based on pre-season AP ranking, his teams overachieved as much as underachieved when compared to post season ranking (4 seasons show improvement, 4 show regression).

I think that overall, he does deserve to join Coach Mac. IMO it's almost ridiculous not to have him honored.

You can argue his teams were bowl eligible for 12 of 14 seasons if we're grading P on the same scale as Marrone. Marrone would have been bowl-less if his record was in the mid 90s.

You're framing is all wrong. He's either worthy based on what he did while he was here or he's not. The rest is garbage and worry about perception.

When he retires, he should be honored IMO.

I'm still waiting for them to honor Tom Coughlin.

Exactly!

Coughlin is an SU alum from the Ole Ben glory days and an SU ex-coach (who was turned out when Mac came in), who went on to have a tremendous career in the Pros.

He's way more deserving of an SU honor than is P, a Penn State grad who went on to ???? (Nothing much)

You're framing is all wrong. He's either worthy based on what he did while he was here or he's not. The rest is garbage and worry about perception.

When he retires, he should be honored IMO.

No, my framing is exactly right.

Let P and his tenure sink into the sunset. No reason for SU to draw attention to it. Given the division of opinion on P, this would be as divisive as it would be helpful.

Not everyone who does a reasonable job somewhere needs to have special recognition.

Or is this part of the "Trophies and Juice Boxes for everyone" revolution?

By the way, I don't think you'll see SU honor Coughlin because his response would be "stuff it".

He was not a happy camper when he was fired at the end of the Maloney-era.

Not trying to be smart, but why? We had some above average years, had some average years, and had some below average years during his tenure. Not sure he's worthy of being honored? Sorry, just my opinion.
major bowl appearances = average. 14 years without a losing record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom