Coach says recruiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coach says recruiting

I agree... I may have been late to realize that Marrone will not work out here but I am still light years ahead of many... Not saying much I know, but if 7-5 in the worst conference ever created is what people aspire to be then so be it. We may not even get there this year. Last time I checked there is a reason guy is getting paid 7 figures to coach a game.. WIns bring in money!!!! I don't see what is hard to understand here, lets pay a guy $1,000,000 a year and then not hold him up to the same standards that most business owners would hold the average joe up against for far less pay. Here is the standard, meet it or we will hire someone that can. If Marrone worked for me, he would be shown the door, company men are a thing of the past..

The University also needs to invest on the program, they have to stop Mickey Mousing around, raise the money, go find it, If Gross can't find somebody that can. The complacency is unreal.

Syracuse needs a coach that can recruit, coach and excite the fan base, and a coach that can score points.. Year 3 people, Year 3. Company man or not he is failing. He may be average but who wants that when you can find great

^^^^ This gets my vote as worst post of the year.

Year 3...and we got into a bowl year 2.

Year 3...and the season isn't over; we might still qualify for a bowl.

But what the hell--let's declare it a failure and shitcan the guy based upon game-to-game ebbs and flows of emotion.

Weren't we literally the worst team from a BCS conference when he took over three seasons from now? What did you expect in year 3? BCS bowl berths? 5-star recruits? Where the F is the perspective?

Dumb ass post from a normally very good poster.

I agree... I may have been late to realize that Marrone will not work out here but I am still light years ahead of many... Not saying much I know, but if 7-5 in the worst conference ever created is what people aspire to be then so be it. We may not even get there this year. Last time I checked there is a reason guy is getting paid 7 figures to coach a game.. WIns bring in money!!!! I don't see what is hard to understand here, lets pay a guy $1,000,000 a year and then not hold him up to the same standards that most business owners would hold the average joe up against for far less pay. Here is the standard, meet it or we will hire someone that can. If Marrone worked for me, he would be shown the door, company men are a thing of the past..

The University also needs to invest on the program, they have to stop Mickey Mousing around, raise the money, go find it, If Gross can't find somebody that can. The complacency is unreal.

Syracuse needs a coach that can recruit, coach and excite the fan base, and a coach that can score points.. Year 3 people, Year 3. Company man or not he is failing. He may be average but who wants that when you can find great
You have lost your mind.

If Marrone worked for me, he would be shown the door, company men are a thing of the past..

IB's response to a question from one week ago:

I like Marrone as the HC not the OC and he needs to be given every opportunity to improve recruiting with facilities upgardes as I maintain they are almost the worst in the BCS but he also needs to find guys that can recruit when we start beating 2-3 other BCS schools for the majority of our recruits and bring in the NYC rwa talent that seems to be coming in we should see an upgarde.

That is what I would do.. I would implement the system from DAY ONE. no BS. The sooner you do the sooner you start winning and winning consistently and big. Use the dome, looked like WVU still scored a lot versus Rutgers in bad weather last week.

Note- I did not every say FIRE MARRONE people, please, please please. If he cant get it done after year 5 maybe 6 then he needs to go because we will get ass raped week by the better teams in the ACC if we run this product out there but you cant run a BCS program on a shoestring budget, I realize we need to get creative on the fund raising but it needs to get done somehow

I really respect the consistency in opinion. I admit the UConn game was hideous, but it's pretty amazing one game (albeit one awful game) can have that type of change. Your answer to my question from a week ago showed logic and thought. Your post above, and quite a few of your posts on this topic, just seem to incite reactions. I personally prefer intelligent, well thought-out posts. You're not light years ahead of anyone, and you'd be doing everyone on this board a favor if you kept your very high opinion of yourself, to yourself.

exactly,the work is not done there and coach seems to be happy on has all ready taken place.more needs to done,he didn't get into that part
What else is anticipated at Manley? New locker room? Meeting rooms?

A.) Can we afford him?
B.) Will you take a chance on whatever skeletons may be in his closet?
I was just having fun with the post that talked about locksley gill and the others. back then i was hyperventilating about leach

my answer to both is yes but i know that no one else's is. i don't want marrone gone. i just want a new qb next year and a new OC. if i can only have one of those, gimme the new qb

I think as recently as this offseason, hell perhaps even for the first couple games of this season, IB was always screaming about how people have no idea how bad things were under GRob, how long it'll take to undo that damage, etc.

Now Marrone's a definite failure.

IB, you really have lost it.

Marrone should get one more year to prove he is anything other than an average coach who can't recruit... That is my point.. I honestly believe that. 7-5 in the big east blows. Yes, that post was from last week, I stated Sunday that I was done with Marrone, he lost me after the latest performance,he will never be great... Slightly above average at best. If that is what you aspire too, then so be it..

People here will come back at me pounding their chest in a few weeks after we win 6 or 7 games further proving my point... Accepting mediocrity

Marrone should get one more year to prove he is anything other than an average coach who can't recruit... That is my point.. I honestly believe that. 7-5 in the big east blows. Yes, that post was from last week, I stated Sunday that I was done with Marrone, he lost me after the latest performance,he will never be great... Slightly above average at best. If that is what you aspire too, then so be it..

People here will come back at me pounding their chest in a few weeks after we win 6 or 7 games further proving my point... Accepting mediocrity

7 wins is a step in the right direction. A few pieces (guys that were actually enrolled here) around and maybe we'd do a bit better.

If you expect your local school to compete for BCS championships you might have to move.

We need a new OC, a special teams coach, and for the administration to pull the trigger on the practice facility upgrade which i have heard they are doing. Doug is a good program builder but i really dont think he is a good OC or game day coach. Move Hack to specials if you want to keep him on staff and let him work with the qb's if he is capable.

It's not about !@#$ accepting mediocrity--it's about recognizing that you don't go from zero to 60 overnight. Getting to bowls / 7 wins isn't failure--it's a step in the right direction from where we were, en route to better recruiting, more successful seasons, and better bowls.

Looking at it otherwise lacks perspective.

7 wins is a step in the right direction. A few pieces (guys that were actually enrolled here) around and maybe we'd do a bit better.

If you expect your local school to compete for BCS championships you might have to move.

I expect the athletic department to find a HC that has potential to be GREAT, not average at best and below average most days. Again, my opinion which I am entitled to have. Oh but wait, would if that coach leaves after 4 years for greener pastures? Oh the horror, so lets lock up mediocre for 20 years!!!!

It's not about !@#$ accepting mediocrity--it's about recognizing that you don't go from zero to 60 overnight. Getting to bowls / 7 wins isn't failure--it's a step in the right direction from where we were, en route to better recruiting, more successful seasons, and better bowls.

RF2044, if we were so bad off why is Marrone still using all of GUMP's skill guys? Yes GROB was a horrible coach but his recruiting seems to be on par with Marrone's. Syracuse teams have always been decent when we have strong seniors as we did last year. That said, there was still some tremendously horribly games last year as well.. I don't see anyone who can compete with Carter, Williams, or Hogue. Those guys were all really good college players. Holmes, Merk were great last year as well. We had some beef at O Line. Remember we beat VT out for Tribbey as well. GROB's problem wasn't recruiting, he recruited as well as Marrone with a horrid track record on the field

Only game where talent should have been an issue this year was USC and covering WVU and Rutgers wide receivers. Year 3 in this conference, 7-5 should be the ABSOLUTE minimum expectation and we aren't there yet. 8-4 would be a solid to decent season. People act as if the Big East is loaded with talent and great coaches only when Syracuse plays them. It's complete and utter nonsense and excuse after excuse. Marrone has flat out sucked this year, I mean flat out sucked. This team has played 8 or 9 good quarters of football out of 36. I don't see any disputing that.

GROB set the bar so low that people have grown to accept mediocrity and feel that it is actually good. My point is that IN this conference it should be easy to rebuild, not like you are in a decent conference. This is year 3, not year 1. I see the same excuses that I saw two years ago.

In this conference you need to go to 0-30 in three years to compete for the crown, people need to watch more college football. 10 mph year one, 20 mph year two and this year we are back at 15mph. This year so far has been a real set back. Look at the defense and offense and special teams as units, they all stink. Is it the physical play, the smart approach, we don't make mistakes or penalties? That must be it. What's the strength on this team, the identity? I beg you to find one. Is it the anemic offense that people feel is just fine, the horrid pass defense and tackling or the miserable special teams play? Casullo isn't here to kick in the gut every game and I admit Bob had his issues as well. Take your pick, I really wonder what people are watching out there, I really do. Like I said, year 3 not year 1. We just lose to UCONN who lost a lot of guys from last year and has a brand new coach in place, which is playing a running back and a walk on at QB. I didn't mine the offense as much as I did how poorly the D played in the 2nd half. UCONN actually has had a decent overall defense besides giving up large passing numbers. The special teams? good lord. Casullo would have been lynched for that performance and rightfully so. He's not here for the gut punches though. This board has the coaches that they determine can be abused and those that can't.

Marrones recruiting is getting better and this team was a huge mess before he got there. I like to see more success on the field and 5-4 is ok but SU is on the right track.

I think we can all agree we are passionate about our program no matter how each of us feels about the direction of the team. I don't really know what to think of coach Marrone yet, all I know is im not liking what I see on the field, and not from a wins standpoint, but moreso from a discipline and apparent lack of focus point of view. I question is this something we will continue to see, and why after three years are we still seeing things like this? But I will remain patient, I actually think we need him to succeed because going after a new coach will just set us back another few years to get the new coaches systems and schemes in place.

I expect the athletic department to find a HC that has potential to be GREAT, not average at best and below average most days. Again, my opinion which I am entitled to have. Oh but wait, would if that coach leaves after 4 years for greener pastures? Oh the horror, so lets lock up mediocre for 20 years!!!!

Frank Beamer is a great coach. He didn't build VT in a day. Mack Brown is a great coach. IT took a while for him to get UNC up and going.

You're all over a guy who has 55 kids that are sophs or less in the program.

im not liking what I see on the field, and not from a wins standpoint, but moreso from a discipline and apparent lack of focus point of view.

This is what's really troubling to me.If they go out and play smart,tough football and lose to a better team, I'm fine with that.Imo,7 of the 9 games so far,that hasn't been the case.The inconsistent effort,the stupid penalties/lack of discipline have been brutal to watch most of the year.These are things I really never expected to see from a DM team.We're not where we need to be in terms of talent yet,but the teams we're handing games to aren't much better or even as good,imo.I'm going to shut up and try to remain patient for the rest of the season.If next year is more of the same,it will be a different story.No excuses in year 4.

Frank Beamer is a great coach. He didn't build VT in a day. Mack Brown is a great coach. IT took a while for him to get UNC up and going.

You're all over a guy who has 55 kids that are sophs or less in the program.

After year 3, I would imagine you could tell what Beamer's program was being built on beyond past success.. Tell me what the great vision is? Getting old, hearing about the old days.. the program is surrounded by guys looking to recpature past glory instead of trying to move forward and build their own path.. Do you think a great HC would care about what happened 20 years ago? That is my point.. We have sucked for 10 years now. Yeah but we beat Penn ST back in 87, jesus people still talking about McNabb who is all but retired at this point...

3 years ago we were told about this great vision that Marrone had, I just see a poorly coached team, yeah that surely needs more talent to be beyond good, but we still suck in the worst conference known to man. How is that Good? Yeah we need new facilities awful hard to open up the check book when you see the product on the field this year. I am am committed trust me but I am tired of this crap. marrone just will never be GREAT, average maybe but me personally, I want better. People can pile on me all they want, like I said the body of work this year speaks for itself. We have sucked week in week out, minus WVU. One great game, 2 average games and that is a reach (Wake, Toledo) and 5 horrible performances

Randy Shannon was average to below average, where did that get them?

Sucked is what SU was when robinson was there, semantics maybe but SU is a little above average right now.

Regarding the OC, I'd venture a guess that that is a position that Marrone has a guy in place that he could control and Hackett is a perfect match for that. DM's fine with Shafer being in charge with the d but I don't see Marrone letting someone else being in charge of the offense that he can't pretty much control what he does. I understand that all hc's control this aspect but yielding some control is different than just handing over the keys and regarding the offense I don't believe Marrone will ever do this like he did the d.

After year 3, I would imagine you could tell what Beamer's program was being built on beyond past success.. Tell me what the great vision is? Getting old, hearing about the old days.. the program is surrounded by guys looking to recpature past glory instead of trying to move forward and build their own path.. Do you think a great HC would care about what happened 20 years ago? That is my point.. We have sucked for 10 years now. Yeah but we beat Penn ST back in 87, jesus people still talking about McNabb who is all but retired at this point...

3 years ago we were told about this great vision that Marrone had, I just see a poorly coached team, yeah that surely needs more talent to be beyond good, but we still suck in the worst conference known to man. How is that Good? Yeah we need new facilities awful hard to open up the check book when you see the product on the field this year. I am am committed trust me but I am tired of this crap. marrone just will never be GREAT, average maybe but me personally, I want better. People can pile on me all they want, like I said the body of work this year speaks for itself. We have sucked week in week out, minus WVU. One great game, 2 average games and that is a reach (Wake, Toledo) and 5 horrible performances

Beemer went:

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1

Before he went to a bowl game in 1993...so yep by year 3 I bet they could see that bowl game right around the corner...

I don't know too much about the early Beamer years, I'll assume he always stressed having top special teams, using starters there, etc. But I remember back when they had their coming out party in 1993, that it seemed that Beamer let Phil Elmassian, as DC, reinvent their entire defensive 8 man front attack style that they've lived off of all these years. I seem to remember that wasn't their idea of defense in Beamer's first few years, but I could be wrong.

We already have our defensive style set, I doubt that's changing unless Shafer is promoted somewhere and we have trouble finding a new guy with the same principles. But you can't help but wonder if that day is coming for our offense. Some have suggested that it's been the plan all along, let's hope they are right. We certainly haven't recruited like a team that plans to use fullbacks or drop back passers.

Beemer went:

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1

Before he went to a bowl game in 1993...so yep by year 3 I bet they could see that bowl game right around the corner...

If all people do is find comparisons to other coaches and tams to justify our own play then we will never get to where we want. I just hope 10 years from now we are pointing to Schiano and rutgers.

Randy Shannon was average to below average, where did that get them?

Beamer took over in 87. He did no better than 6 wins til 1993.

For one I see a defense (outside of the 2nd half Sat that generally plays like a college defense should. Which I haven't seen at SU in ages.Unlike the Air Coryell guys here it's far easier and logical to get a bunch of athletic college kids on a field and tell them to run at and hit dudes than it is to sustain an air raid year in and out.

We threw away a victory at Rutgers and we have a QB will accuracy issues. And a true frosh and RS frosh to back him up. And our best WR decided to do something very dumb.

Beemer went:

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1

I didn't bring Beamer up, I am dealing with the Marrone era and what I have seen on the field this year.. I have seen one big step backwards in almsot every area on the field. Spin it however you want and I am sure people will, I know I have lost my mind, etc etc. I have watched one good performance all year, but that good performance happened to be great which is great. The fact is we don't need to play great to pick up a couple wins versus Ville, UConn and Rutgers.. or at least 1 or two wins.. we are evenly matched for the most part. People talk about no margin for error, talent, etc and ignore what is going on out there. Again, we don't need to play great to beat USF, we beat them last year and they seem to be worse this year but then people will spin that as well to support Marrone if they lose. Like I said, I was more pissed about the 2nd half defense then anything in the UCONN game, the tackling and the lack of adjustments.

If all people do is find comparisons to other coaches and tams to justify our own play then we will never get to where we want. I just hope 10 years from now we are pointing to Schiano and rutgers.

Not trying to justify our own play...my eyes are still burning from what I saw watching the UConn game (I missed the Louisville game so I can't comment on that one)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom