Coaches boxes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches boxes

It’s just amazing to me that prior to Phase 1 being anywhere even close to finished, people are passing judgement on the entire project.

There’s been a lot of time and research that’s gone into doing this. The people that make those decisions for Syracuse, have made them. What’s feasible is feasible. If you’re upset about what they’ve selected before you’ve actually seen it or without a sound understanding of what went into it, I’m not of the same mentality. And that’s ok.

But, I do understand that we’ll never be Oregon or Alabama. And I’m ok with that too.

I have to agree, at first I was excited cause they are doing something and with them anything Is better then nothing. This seems like the cheapest option they could do. The dome is antiquated beyond repair. Changing the roof and adding a scoreboard deals with one issue and that’s roof failure. For the fans; parking, bathrooms, seating, concourse and food aren’t being addressed. The people that spend their hard earned money get nothing but a scoreboard and being able to open a vent to let a small amount a fresh air into an incubator. All this is a makeover to get a cheap university a lot more time without spending the big money on a replacement that will ultimately just be another half assed stadium. Without new exterior walls creating much needed room and options this will ultimately be viewed as another cheap out the university has done. This will be the grob of building remodeling
The school would love to do more, but they are the beneficiaries of new steel tariffs that will make an already complicated and expensive process more costly than anticipated. It is simply a matter of money. Syracuse just doesn’t get the donations that other schools do. The roof will be a huge expense. Get that done and then figure out what’s next. I’ll say this, the lack of big changes will not be because the school is cheap.

The school would love to do more, but they are the beneficiaries of new steel tariffs that will make an already complicated and expensive process more costly than anticipated. It is simply a matter of money. Syracuse just doesn’t get the donations that other schools do. The roof will be a huge expense. Get that done and then figure out what’s next. I’ll say this, the lack of big changes will not be because the school is cheap.
Looking at the big picture, I think the university is making an unprecedented investment in athletics with this project. Yes, there are going to be things that could be done better, it is going to take time to get to where we want things and the final product is not going to be perfect.

But SU is stepping up and committing to be a major player in athletics for the next 40 or 50 years. Hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent. This is a great time to be a Syracuse fan and support of the athletic department. I am still kind of shocked at the level of investment that is being made.

Bravo SU. Bravo John Wildhack. Let's do this!

I posted that a year ago. that end of the dome was going to be connected to the arch. there would be escalators and the arch would provide healthy food options for dome patrons to partake in. but I believe that's been pushed out as tbd for now. not anytime soon.

Yep, but if you look at the west side of Archbold (it's really taking shape now), it seems likely that there's a provision for this in the future. No inside knowledge, just my perception.

Looking at the big picture, I think the university is making an unprecedented investment in athletics with this project. ...

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but this roof project alone will cost more than the entire Dome construction would cost in 2019 dollars.

Unfortunately because the new roof is basically anchored to the same ring truss, space for adding sky box seating is limited to the end zones where the seating doesn't go all the way to the top. That would still require blowing out the walls on those sides to create enough room. But it certainly sounds a lot more appealing than trying to displace 200-level STHs which is the other place they are considering boxes.

Blowing out the walls should be 1 and 1a on the list of things they want to do next. Just as the new roof enables certain things to happen, moving the walls out opens up so many other possibilities. It worries me that air conditioning and removing pee troughs seems to be getting all the attention. Priorities!
Here’s what I don’t understand. AC is going to be very expensive and we all agree that something needs to be done to control the temperature during those September games. With a hard roof, why can’t it be built with the ability to let in outside air so that the temperature outside matches the temperature inside the stadium? Not saying it needs to be a retractable roof but even if it could ajar 10% it would make a significant difference to the temperature inside the stadium.

2nd point, those end zone walls are such a waste of unused space. I never understood why the architects designed the stadium that way. Was it to give the University a future option to expand if they wanted? If so, they should blow those out and add end zone boxes. I realize it’s easier said than done but from a business standpoint, you need to maximize the efficiency of the real estate that you have and those should be a priority for future revenue.

Here’s what I don’t understand. AC is going to be very expensive and we all agree that something needs to be done to control the temperature during those September games. With a hard roof, why can’t it be built with the ability to let in outside air so that the temperature outside matches the temperature inside the stadium? Not saying it needs to be a retractable roof but even if it could ajar 10% it would make a significant difference to the temperature inside the stadium.

2nd point, those end zone walls are such a waste of unused space. I never understood why the architects designed the stadium that way. Was it to give the University a future option to expand if they wanted? If so, they should blow those out and add end zone boxes. I realize it’s easier said than done but from a business standpoint, you need to maximize the efficiency of the real estate that you have and those should be a priority for future revenue.
I think the fans get it. The walls need to move. Unfortunately the university doesn’t feel they have enough ACC money to do this. Otherwise they’d be mentioning it as part of the next phase. I’ll be livid if they make other improvements which collectively could have waited while they figure out the most cost-effective way to expand the footprint.

Last edited:

No one has toldme this, but I suspect that we have a sponsor in place to handle most or all of the costs of installing AC and that is what is moving it up on the priority list.

The university is doing the right thing making the new roof the top priority. Until it gets replaced, many other important enhancements can't be started.

These include expanding the footprint of the facility and making substantive improvements to concessions.

I think the fans get it. The walls need to move. Unfortunately the university doesn’t feel they have enough ACC money to do this. Otherwise they’d be mentioning it as part of the next phase. I’ll be livid if they make other improvements which collectively could have waited while they figure out the most cost-effective way to expand the footprint.

Bleed the taxpayers dry for all I care. Just do this right for once. Louisville residents are not suffering because of papa johns. The impact on the individual taxpayer is overblown.

Again, the school made the decision to keep the stadium where it is. They now need to live within their means. Why should there be any public financing?

AC may not be as expensive as you think.

Bleed the taxpayers dry for all I care. Just do this right for once. Louisville residents are not suffering because of papa johns. The impact on the individual taxpayer is overblown.

If you’re going to be livid, I would never step foot in the facility again.

It's not going to be a "hard" roof.

The Dome already has existing air handlers for heat. Integrating AC into the system would be less expensive than you think.

If you’re going to be livid, I would never step foot in the facility again.
If you agree that the footprint is the next most important thing besides the roof, it's boosters like yourself that need to sit down with Sala to express your concerns. Little people like me don't count. I found that out quickly enough when I wanted to make a donation for a bench on the quad to honor a family member.

You’re minimizing or ignoring everything that will be done. Half the things you say aren’t being addressed, are. And there’s 3 phases. This is just the first phase which is $118m.

are these three phases iron clad or is there a Congel like option to bail after Phase 1?

Looking at the big picture, I think the university is making an unprecedented investment in athletics with this project. Yes, there are going to be things that could be done better, it is going to take time to get to where we want things and the final product is not going to be perfect.

But SU is stepping up and committing to be a major player in athletics for the next 40 or 50 years. Hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent. This is a great time to be a Syracuse fan and support of the athletic department. I am still kind of shocked at the level of investment that is being made.

Bravo SU. Bravo John Wildhack. Let's do this!
If additional phases come to fruition and they use common sense planning then yes, bravo. But that’s a big IF.

The super efficient, well loved stainless steel urinal troughs will be replaced by inefficient, inferior single urinals. Pee time will be doubled or tripled.

You are 100% wrong here on the Urinal/Trough discussion. Troughs take longer than urinals because it's easier for people to have "stage fright" and then either have to stand there for a while before they can pee or just go wait in another line until they can use a regular toilet.

You are 100% wrong here on the Urinal/Trough discussion. Troughs take longer than urinals because it's easier for people to have "stage fright" and then either have to stand there for a while before they can pee or just go wait in another line until they can use a regular toilet.
I can't believe I'm commenting on the pee trough dilemma but I think I have solved the urinal issue. In theory the pee trough is the most efficient way to get the most men in and out of a bathroom but due to a few issues they are less efficient. The stage fright issue caused by possible wee wee glance and the issue that you don't want to squeeze in too close to a fellow pee'er and touch their elbow. And those who take an inordinately wide stance to clear more space than needed. Design and use are two different things and the pee trough now becomes a very inefficient use of space.
The key is either spacing the individual urinals at the correct distance but either way you need a anti-glance wall so people can relax without someone trying to compare theirs to yours. Even with a trough there needs to be a 2 foot privacy wall that fits an average sized person who stands to pee to allow that privacy and show people where to stand. The wall also eliminates elbow touching. And of course you have to have a few super wide spaces for those big dudes too obese for the normal sized urinal spaces. Case solved. You're Welcome.

Is this seriously an issue?

I’ve never heard of this.

Assuming that's the case (and I'm skeptical without some citation), that only inconveniences this minority of people. They're the ones waiting in stall lines while the rest of us are hustling up to the trough and getting out of there.

Based on personal experience, troughs are a more efficient use of space and offer the opportunity to move users through more quickly. Whether they're effective for 100% of users is a different question entirely, but it seems to me that they provide the greatest good for the greatest number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom