Coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches

Well,to be clear I knew Kiffin would never come to SU. he is an elite coach and I dont think we can land someone at that level. Kiffin is kicking arse at USC (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-11-21/lane-kiffin-in-la-a-star-is-reborn). I said we needed someone like him. and we do.

The rest of your post is wrong. There were plenty of guys that were bantered about that I was neutral or positive on. But from the beginning I said marrone would be a flop and that he was basically one of the worst hires of the past decade in any college sport.

You and some of the other munchkins on this board exclaim the virtues of "stability." Stability means "continuance without change; permanence." And I agree that stability is great - but only when the "permanence" means permanently good. Marrone offers stability - he guarantees that we will be permanently not good.

I dont fault you for being wrong, SWC. You see JB and the little mouse in your brain starts running on the wheel and you think, hire alum = 30+ yrs of excellence. but JB is one in a trillion.

[by the way, I guess when you talk about stability it doesnt include assistant coaches? I wonder if we should hire someone to help marrone with his assistant coach hiring?]

Well, he finally has had a good year after losing or being mediocre everywhere he went. No coach "like him" would help us because he would be here only until he could get a job he likes better. Whoever succeeds here next will do so because he wanted to suceed HERE. And that's the point.

SWC: "I recall hearing that Turner Gil was only considering Syracuse as Plan B in case he didn't get the Auburn job."

That was probably true, Gil was given a chance for a final interview, it was between he & Doug. A call from TGD at 11 PM on the Thursday night before the Friday that Marrone was hired was met by, "Isn't it a bit late to be calling?" That statement sealed the deal.

SWC: "Skip Holtz supposedly just wanted to know how much we were going to pay him."

The truth is Skip was very interested in the SU job, it was his wife who kiboshed the deal when she said didn't like the weather here.

ST: "We are here in yr three under Dougie and we were last place in the BE, got crushed by UCONN and Rutgers, our regional rivals"

Our feelings may have been crushed by the double overtime loss to Rutgers but 19-16 is hardly crushed. SU dominated most of that game but failed to cash in on several golden opportunities.

UConn beat us 28-21 again not a crush. You must be thinking of November 20, 2010 when the Huskies throttled us 23-6 and in Rutgers case it was over three years ago under Greg Robinson when they last crushed us, that was by a score of 35-17.

We crushed Rutgers 31-13 two years ago and squeaked out a road win last year 13-10

ST: "This is a horrible post" "Horrible post. Typically at this point I would explain to you that there is an edit button and you should try again. But your post is so bad that I dont even think you can edit it. It is like a car that is so damaged in an accident it has to be scrapped - I think insurance companies call it a "total loss.""Thats what your post is - a "total loss"

Why the vitriol against one of the best posters on this board, did you have some bad wine at 1 AM? Remember CTO's forum guideline, "You can disagree without being disagreeable."

The only explanation for your poor manners must be the Night Train you had last night! Watch out for the return trip, they say it's pretty nasty;)

OE, this is one of the best responses to a post that I've ever seen on this board. Happy holidays to you.

There have been a lot of familiar coaching names in the news lately. Turner Gil got fired, as Mike Locksley did before him. Todd Graham jumped ship as Lane Kiffin did before him. All were mentioned at one time as potential head coaches for Syracuse. So was Skip Holtz who has had his problems at South Florida.

<snip>

Doug may not be the answer for us but we need to give him every chance to succeed. I don't want to take our chances with a Kiffin, a Graham, a Holtz, a Gil or a Locksley. That wouldn't give us much of a chance at all.

Quite often, it seems that some of the best assistant coaches are former head coaches who have been fired because they are not quite head coach material. After all, they got their chance to be a head coach because they excelled in their roles as coordinators, associate head coaches or something similar. I wonder if any of the fired coaches who are out there would be willing to come to take on a similar role if Marrone decides to (or is told he has to) shake up his staff.

ST should be banned for personal attacks that offer little value if any. Should be warned and banned cause I will stop reading the board if it turns into a Syracuse.com lookalike.

ST should be banned for personal attacks that offer little value if any. Should be warned and banned cause I will stop reading the board if it turns into a Syracuse.com lookalike.

You don't have to worry about that. He essentially bans himself when he can't afford to pay his dial-up internet bill and we don't hear from him for a couple of months.

Personal attacks on other posters or extravagant estimates of your own intelligence don't do your point of view any good because they are not substantive arguments in the debate.

The issue here is: are we better off with a coach who may be talented but has no real committment to the school or a coach for whom the jury is very much out but whose committment to our shool is unquestioned. Id' rather stick with a guy who wants not only to be a success but to be a success here until I'm sure he's not capable of producing it, and I'm far short of coming to such a conclusion.

I agree Mr. SWC75, my goodness can we show some reason and allow for some continuity in this world. I trust that this city and university will allow for it, we so desperately need it. Here is to the ever increasing goodness and character of our team as they strive to be good men of society and leaders of families. We certainly have to win but there is alot more to it. And yes we can learn on the job sir Tristan, I do everyday, mostly from those around me who have allowed me to benefit from them, for that I am so grateful. I ask for something special to be created here, a place where there is room to grow in every sphere of life. Syracuse truly is an awesome, blessed home. I am so thankful to live here. I know, I could essentially choose just about anywhere and have but my heart is home in this city. Good stuff, peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom