Coaching Carousel | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

If Frost is the guy, we should have no trouble bringing him in unless there's serious market competition. He currently makes $400,000. Slap 2M on the table and watch how fast contracts get signed.

I think that is what it will take. That has not been our style in the past. We are more likely to try and pay based on experience, which is not the market for these top guys.

No, but one of the schools thought to be a contender just hired Matt Campbell, and the other big one, Maryland, seems on the verge of hiring the Michigan DC.

Ill have to remember to visit the Maryland board when that goes down...that place should be fun.

Crusty said:
I think that is what it will take. That has not been our style in the past. We are more likely to try and pay based on experience, which is not the market for these top guys.

We were prepared to pay Edsall and Holtz $2.5 million in 2008, reportedly. What isn't our style?

We were prepared to pay Edsall and Holtz $2.5 million in 2008, reportedly. What isn't our style?
I seem to remember it was $2 million, but I could be wrong. No matter, they both waned more. We never seem to be wiling to pay for our first choices.

Our style has clearly been to go cheap which is why we are last in the ACC in staff compensation. Syracuse footbll program's decline has clearly been on an admin and BOT that has not chosen to be competitive money-wise. Hopefully, that is changing, but until it actually happens it remains in doubt.

I've heard this many times before, I just have such a hard time believing it, especially then. USF only paid him 2M/YR with 1.5 for his assistant's pool. I know South Florida was really enticing then, but, a 500K discrepancy?

Finwad32 said:
I've heard this many times before, I just have such a hard time believing it, especially then. USF only paid him 2M/YR with 1.5 for his assistant's pool. I know South Florida was really enticing then, but, a 500K discrepancy?

I'm just repeating what a couple of posters here have adamantly said. What did we end up paying Marrone? I'm blanking.

I'm just repeating what a couple of posters here have adamantly said. What did we end up paying Marrone? I'm blanking.
I think it was like $1.8M post raise and pre-bonus.

Just looked it up the other day, and the number I found for Doug was about 1.3 million/year.

Crusty said:
I seem to remember it was $2 million, but I could be wrong. No matter, they both waned more. We never seem to be wiling to pay for our first choices. Our style has clearly been to go cheap which is why we are last in the ACC in staff compensation. Syracuse footbll program's decline has clearly been on an admin and BOT that has not chosen to be competitive money-wise. Hopefully, that is changing, but until it actually happens it remains in doubt.

I completely agree that our indifference to competing in the obscene college football arms race has hastened the program's demise. But we've sunk real money into upgrades recently, with the biggest one yet soon to be announced. And I just don't believe that Coyle comes here without assurances that he would be given a competitive budget.

I mean, staffing, resource and budget questions are among the first thing I ask when I've been approached about taking on a new job, so I can't imagine Coyle didn't get satisfactory answers on that front.

jekelish said:
Just looked it up the other day, and the number I found for Doug was about 1.3 million/year.

Was that straight salary or including the IMG money too? IIRC Shafer got more from that than his actual salary, although I'm pretty sure that's just accounting.

I thin 1.4 and raised to 1.7??

Was that straight salary or including the IMG money too? IIRC Shafer got more from that than his actual salary, although I'm pretty sure that's just accounting.
"Football coach Doug Marrone was SU’s second-highest earner. He received a base salary of nearly $1.1 million — with $800,000 coming from IMG Worldwide and $11,986 from his summer football camp — and a $100,000 bonus. His total compensation added up to $1,259,576."

Perhaps people within the CFB world didn't completely trust Gross' accounting. I mean in 2008, he had been in that world for long enough to have his reputation known amongst agents and people in the field.

mLlD2x.gif

PAcuse said:
"Football coach Doug Marrone was SU’s second-highest earner. He received a base salary of nearly $1.1 million — with $800,000 coming from IMG Worldwide and $11,986 from his summer football camp — and a $100,000 bonus. His total compensation added up to $1,259,576."

Yeesh, that sucks.

I think Kirby Smart will be the favorite for this job. He's an alum. One of the better jobs in the country with all the talent down in Georgia.

Whitey23 said:
671014838366248960 Kirby Smart?

9-3 season. Wow.

Richt to South Carolina, Smart to Georgia?

I think Kirby Smart will be the favorite for this job. He's an alum. One of the better jobs in the country with all the talent down in Georgia.
Wow... lots of talk about it on local radio for the last 2 months. I thought he'd only be fired if they lost yesterday.
Kirby has to be the favorite.

Richt played QB at Miami. Would be a great fit