Coaching Carousel | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

upload_2015-12-3_22-26-51.png

A frequent complaint against the young coaches that have been mentioned on our board is that they'll probably leave us for a bigger name in a couple of years. Most all of us respond, "So what. That would mean he has us playing really well that an elite school would want him."

Brohm would bring instant excitement to the program. Calhoun would be hiring another steady hand who would remind us of the Good Old Days under George Welsh. The names that were mentioned after Richt went to Da U, were all good in my mind and I don't envy the person who had to make the final decision. An embarrassment of semi-riches.
Everyone here worries about the same thing but the way I see it both programs are pretty low. If a coach gets a better gig in 2-3 years it means he was successful and the program is in better shape. Another quality coach will see that the program can succeed and something will stick. Gotta keep positive momentum.

He's really all in on that. I hope he's right for our sake and his credibility going forward.

And I agree with him. All of my chips are in the Babers pot. Babers or bust.

Lenoir-Rhyne (D-II – NC): Head coach Ian Shields abruptly resigned today. The University announced that he plans accept “an undisclosed division 1 opportunity”.

He may be Card red now but if he spends a good chunk of time in Charlottesville and makes that team exciting and a contender, why leave for LVille? I would think UVA has more potential and they don't have to play Clemson and FSU every year.
In the Coastal, he would have to play annually: UNC (now in the Top 10 with a young team), VT (with the young and potentially excellent Fuente replacing the over the hill Beamer), Miami (with Richt as HC), GT (with that smary punk PJ and his hard to prepare for offense), and Pitt (with Narduzzi the best Pitt HC since Sherrill).

The Coastal is a deeper, better division now and will be much better in the near future unless Syracuse gets rolling, or maybe BC, and Louisville gets his stride back.

Lenoir-Rhyne (D-II – NC): Head coach Ian Shields abruptly resigned today. The University announced that he plans accept “an undisclosed division 1 opportunity”.
I see what you did there.

WoadBlue said:
In the Coastal, he would have to play annually: UNC (now in the Top 10 with a young team), VT (with the young and potentially excellent Fuente replacing the over the hill Beamer), Miami (with Richt as HC), GT (with that smary punk PJ and his hard to prepare for offense), and Pitt (with Narduzzi the best Pitt HC since Sherrill). The Coastal is a deeper, better division now and will be much better in the near future unless Syracuse gets rolling, or maybe BC, and Louisville gets his stride back.

I'll give you deeper, but until that side wins the conf champ again - better resides on our side.

My POV. With a salary under 3.0M, the window for success is small. Cuse can't buy a savior, thus no FBS head coaches need apply! Now I look to top assistants. East Coast, Character recruiter, Successful track record at a top school. Last but not least, outside ACC. I'm left with assistant coaches from Ohio State and Penn State. Then I read, FOX Sports' Bruce Feldman says "Two other potential options for the Tulane coaching vacancy are...and Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop, who was instrumental to James Franklin's success when they got Vandy turned around." Per his bio, "He has coordinated units that have finished in the Top 25 nationally in total defense in each of the last four years."

Even when you add assistants from BC, Wisconsin, and Northwestern, Shoop looks like a great candidate! Yet none of my Orange brethren regurgitate anything outside the box and inside reality. its either blah blah blah, what he said or chuckle chuckle funny haha.

As I step off my soap box, I wonder who will rise to my challenge. Who among the Orange faithful will find the next great head coach that Cuse woulda coulda shoulda hired?

mk75 said:
My POV. With a salary under 3.0M, the window for success is small. Cuse can't buy a savior, thus no FBS head coaches need apply! Now I look to top assistants. East Coast, Character recruiter, Successful track record at a top school. Last but not least, outside ACC. I'm left with assistant coaches from Ohio State and Penn State. Then I read, FOX Sports' Bruce Feldman says "Two other potential options for the Tulane coaching vacancy are...and Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop, who was instrumental to James Franklin's success when they got Vandy turned around." Per his bio, "He has coordinated units that have finished in the Top 25 nationally in total defense in each of the last four years."

Even when you add assistants from BC, Wisconsin, and Northwestern, Shoop looks like a great candidate! Yet none of my Orange brethren regurgitate anything outside the box and inside reality. its either blah blah blah, what he said or chuckle chuckle funny haha.

As I step off my soap box, I wonder who will rise to my challenge. Who among the Orange faithful will find the next great head coach that Cuse woulda coulda shoulda hired?

Nice of you to stop by the board, Bob. But I think our fan base would revolt if we hired you to be our head coach. There will probably be some non P5 schools you could start out at as a head coach though.

My POV. With a salary under 3.0M, the window for success is small... thus no FBS head coaches need apply!
Recent hires in the marketplace have shown otherwise.

Yet none of my Orange brethren regurgitate anything outside the box and inside reality.
What you call "outside the box", namely a ("meathead") DC, is virtually all that SU has hired ... ever.

Most here would like to try something different. Someone from the offensive side with previous head coaching experience. Let's try it... at least once.

Pay attention after tomorrow night and you will see the guy who is going to turn this program around with exciting football.

BTW Ohio is not on the East Coast last time I checked.

mk75 said:
My POV. With a salary under 3.0M, the window for success is small. Cuse can't buy a savior, thus no FBS head coaches need apply! Now I look to top assistants. East Coast, Character recruiter, Successful track record at a top school. Last but not least, outside ACC. I'm left with assistant coaches from Ohio State and Penn State. Then I read, FOX Sports' Bruce Feldman says "Two other potential options for the Tulane coaching vacancy are...and Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop, who was instrumental to James Franklin's success when they got Vandy turned around." Per his bio, "He has coordinated units that have finished in the Top 25 nationally in total defense in each of the last four years." Even when you add assistants from BC, Wisconsin, and Northwestern, Shoop looks like a great candidate! Yet none of my Orange brethren regurgitate anything outside the box and inside reality. its either blah blah blah, what he said or chuckle chuckle funny haha. As I step off my soap box, I wonder who will rise to my challenge. Who among the Orange faithful will find the next great head coach that Cuse woulda coulda shoulda hired?

He's been with Franklin and psu? He must be a POS.

Sounds likely to be the new HC at Jacksonville. Or maybe Rutgers.

Right, no one here has thought outside the box at all. Like, for example, that multi-page thread about Beau Baldwin. He's a completely inside the box choice.

I can't see all these links on my work computer

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom