Coaching Carousel | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

What's the top four? 1. Miami 2. USC (although both are pretty damn close) 3. South Carolina 4. Va Tech?

Can I just ask why a few folks are so sure that SU will not spend the requisite money to hire an appropriate new HC and staff? If the answer is "we never have!" then I reject that. We have never had ACC revenue before, and we have a Chancellor and AD who have never hired a football coach at SU before. I need an answer that specifies current conditions that lead you to be sure that we won't pony up.

I'll hang up and listen.

We've also never had the opportunity to hire a coach worthy of being paid market rate. In 08 we offered a market rate salary for coaches who turned us down. In light of how many here swore that we were going after the Bucknell AD rather than being attractive enough to poach a fairly high profile AD, I have confidence that we will swing for the fences.

What's the top four? 1. Miami 2. USC (although both are pretty damn close) 3. South Carolina 4. Va Tech?
Miami is NOT the top job. Terrible stadium situation, no IPF, in a stadium they don't want to be in.

USC and South Carolina are BOTH better jobs. VT is as well. Missouri probably being an SEC job is better too

Miami is not even in the same league at Southern Cal.

I hesitated before my post, thinking USC was the best but wasn't sure. Forgot (how could I) about the s*it stadium for the U.

I hesitated before my post, thinking USC was the best but wasn't sure. Forgot (how could I) about the s*it stadium for the U.
And USC could buy and sell Miami several times over.

I would rank them:

Southern Cal
South Carolina
Mizzou
VT
Miami
Maryland (because of Plank, ugh)

Can I just ask why a few folks are so sure that SU will not spend the requisite money to hire an appropriate new HC and staff? If the answer is "we never have!" then I reject that. We have never had ACC revenue before, and we have a Chancellor and AD who have never hired a football coach at SU before. I need an answer that specifies current conditions that lead you to be sure that we won't pony up.

I'll hang up and listen.

when Gross leaves to become the new USC AD and he hires GERG out west, we can roll his salary into the new HC. same with Lael

I would rank them:

Southern Cal
South Carolina
Mizzou
VT
Miami
Maryland (because of Plank, ugh)

Mine would be:
  1. Southern Cal
  2. Mizzou
  3. VT
  4. South Carolina
  5. Miami
  6. Maryland
  7. Syracuse

I think people are underrating Miami's recruiting territory and cache (which a few wins would help with). They're also in a very winnable division

I think people are underrating Miami's recruiting territory and cache (which a few wins would help with). They're also in a very winnable division
What cache?

Biggest question on Miami is whether or not they are going to build a stadium on, or near, campus. If they are, and commit to it, job becomes much more attractive.

Also, I wouldn't worry about them intersecting with too many others on a coaching hire. They're hiring someone with significant U ties.

You have got to be kidding. That works for their former players on espn and just about nobody else. It is as old and worn as ours.
It's definitely not the same as it was, but I disagree and think a few wins combined with their NFL star power, could bring it back on some level.

Biggest question on Miami is whether or not they are going to build a stadium on, or near, campus. If they are, and commit to it, job becomes much more attractive.

Also, I wouldn't worry about them intersecting with too many others on a coaching hire. They're hiring someone with significant U ties.
From what I understand they are restricted by zoning in Coral Gables and neighboring communities. They can't build on campus or even nearby.

It's definitely not the same as it was, but I disagree and think a few wins combined with their NFL star power, could bring it back on some level.
Who, them or us?

djorange1989 said:
Hmmm. McMurphy listed 12 including Rhodes. I wonder if number 13 is... Or they just can't count

I think it's the old way of thinking to to separate it by FBS jobs open. Clear division at P5 and non-P5.

Think the ax is gong to drop on ole boy Chip Kelly. How did you get destroyed at home by TB??? See you soon back on Saturday's.