Coaching Staff and Potential Changes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff and Potential Changes

Petro as DC is a pipe dream, but IF we were to move on from Lelan then Bill Dwan would make more sense. Been a career-long assistant and a move to Central New York would come with the opportunity to coach his son for four years and settle in the area. Another benefit would be his MIAA ties for recruiting.

Wasn't his recent jhu defenses a big part of their problems ? dont think its a good idea to coach a unit that your kid is part of

Can I ask where the Petro to Cuse rumor started? Is the idea that he’ll join the new staff (if there is one) or that he’ll replace Rogers? If a new coach came in he would probably bring in the staff he’s currently working with. I know this didn’t happen with Milliman but that was due to the fact his assistants were Cornell guys and of course one was chosen to replace him as head coach. But when Tiffany went to Virginia, he brought both assistants with him. So is it as a replacement for Rogers? According to Jeremy if the whole staff isn’t resolved then none would be. Guess I should just be patient to see how it all plays out.

Petro on the Syracuse sidelines would be very strange, but since Bobby Benson is an assistant at Maryland then I guess anything is possible.

The composition of a coaching staff in lacrosse is really interesting to me, given that you can only have two main assistants. A lot are made up of one young up and coming assistant and another seasoned vet. That’s how Syracuse is set up now along with Duke and UNC. But Maryland, Denver, Georgetown, Yale and Notre Dame however each have two youngish guys on staff. Virginia and Cornel each have two very young assistants. Loyola is the only school who has what I would consider “veteran” assistant coaches. Anyway not sure what is all means but it does feel like the good teams tend to have younger coaches. Not saying this is a reason Petro shouldn’t be brought on, just something to consider. It’s hard to find that right balance - you want some one with experience and knowledge, but also the stamina and the doggedness to teach and recruit. And a lot of times age really doesn’t hinder you from any of those qualities, but sometimes it does.

Having had some time to recover from this past season's frustration and huge disappointment, and watching other games, I have no clue what really happened to Cuse. I think if we are all honest on here, we just don't know how much poor coaching, poor play, off-field problems and injuries contributed to the bad results. It seems very strange to me that, on paper, only Rehfuss played up to expectations among the returning seniors. Was that because he had fun playing with Hiltz who seemed to have great chemistry with him? Are we to believe that Trimboli, Dearth, Porter etc. all underachieved because of their own problems?

Watching Georgetown yesterday was an eye-opener. Without their starting fogo (and no solid backup), they seemed to wilt. Their defense looked vulnerable and McElroy looked very ordinary against quality shooters. Carraway seemed unable to do anything when the going got tough - something I enjoyed given his over-the-top celebrations against us. In other words, they looked like Cuse in our blowout games.

UNC looked surprisingly average yesterday - couldn't get their offense going, poor shot making etc. If Rutgers had been able to avoid a couple of turnovers late in the game, they would have won. Are the Rutgers coaches geniuses for having a great defensive scheme against UNC? I don't think UNC looked that bad all year. Maybe Rutgers success was due to great coaching.

Watching Loyola against Denver was also surprising. With mid-level talent by top D1 standards, they have played with poise, discipline and energy. It will be interesting to see how they do against Duke.

My best guess at what went wrong is that the Cuse coaching staff did not know how to handle all the adversity and challenges. When adjustments were required, either none was made or they were made later in the game. One of the most critical losses IMO was the loss to Duke - the team played a great second half and we got contributions from just about everybody. Adjustments however, were either made at half time or not at all. The defense played much better in the 2nd half. You simply can't make adjustments after the first half against elite teams. Where was the analysis and game strategy? Where was plan B and C? Why was Savage brought in to play (losing his redshirt) against ND and then not used any more when we were struggling?

If sweeping changes were to be made, when might they occur? I can appreciate waiting until the tournament is over, but so much is affected by coaching changes, I can’t see the hiring process going beyond mid-June. There are just too many summer recruiting events to not have a staff in place by Flag Day.

If sweeping changes were to be made, when might they occur? I can appreciate waiting until the tournament is over, but so much is affected by coaching changes, I can’t see the hiring process going beyond mid-June. There are just too many summer recruiting events to not have a staff in place by Flag Day.
If big changes, they should happen pretty quickly after championship weekend.

Having had some time to recover from this past season's frustration and huge disappointment, and watching other games, I have no clue what really happened to Cuse. I think if we are all honest on here, we just don't know how much poor coaching, poor play, off-field problems and injuries contributed to the bad results. It seems very strange to me that, on paper, only Rehfuss played up to expectations among the returning seniors. Was that because he had fun playing with Hiltz who seemed to have great chemistry with him? Are we to believe that Trimboli, Dearth, Porter etc. all underachieved because of their own problems?

Watching Georgetown yesterday was an eye-opener. Without their starting fogo (and no solid backup), they seemed to wilt. Their defense looked vulnerable and McElroy looked very ordinary against quality shooters. Carraway seemed unable to do anything when the going got tough - something I enjoyed given his over-the-top celebrations against us. In other words, they looked like Cuse in our blowout games.

UNC looked surprisingly average yesterday - couldn't get their offense going, poor shot making etc. If Rutgers had been able to avoid a couple of turnovers late in the game, they would have won. Are the Rutgers coaches geniuses for having a great defensive scheme against UNC? I don't think UNC looked that bad all year. Maybe Rutgers success was due to great coaching.

Watching Loyola against Denver was also surprising. With mid-level talent by top D1 standards, they have played with poise, discipline and energy. It will be interesting to see how they do against Duke.

My best guess at what went wrong is that the Cuse coaching staff did not know how to handle all the adversity and challenges. When adjustments were required, either none was made or they were made later in the game. One of the most critical losses IMO was the loss to Duke - the team played a great second half and we got contributions from just about everybody. Adjustments however, were either made at half time or not at all. The defense played much better in the 2nd half. You simply can't make adjustments after the first half against elite teams. Where was the analysis and game strategy? Where was plan B and C? Why was Savage brought in to play (losing his redshirt) against ND and then not used any more when we were struggling?
One other thought. I think the players' confidence level was severely shaken - maybe the coaches as well. I don't know if the defense ever recovered their mojo after the demolitions by UNC and ND. It was as if everyone was waiting for the next shoe to drop with the puzzling exception of our late season victory over UVA.

Let's hope that changes are made by the NCAA to diminish the impact of face-offs.

The team never recovered from its off field issue. Too many distractions for all involved. Players coaches parents friends. Situations like ours have crushed many teams.We simply didn't have the talent to overcome the distractions.

What I have heard from sources is that Dordevic and other returners are VERY excited and optimistic about next year ..

.I was not given further details so it’s either a) major shake up b) major transfer c) both d) lack of team chemistry /leadership from graduating seniors and happy to see gone

What I have heard from sources is that Dordevic and other returners are VERY excited and optimistic about next year ..

.I was not given further details so it’s either a) major shake up b) major transfer c) both d) lack of team chemistry /leadership from graduating seniors and happy to see gone

To me point D is the most interesting thing you said. Now plenty of blame goes to the coaches this past season but I also questioned the leadership of the Captains/Seniors whether that's fair or not. So if multiple players are happy to see some of these guys gone that's a bit of an eye opener.

Last edited:
The team never recovered from its off field issue. Too many distractions for all involved. Players coaches parents friends. Situations like ours have crushed many teams.We simply didn't have the talent to overcome the distractions.
We were getting crushed before the Scanlon incident...

To me point D is the most interesting you think you said. Now plenty of blame goes to the coaches this past season but I also questioned the leadership of the Captains/Seniors whether that's fair or not. So if multiple players are happy to see some of these guys gone that's a bit of an eye opener.
This is a bit like asking what really happened with Harry, Meghan and the Royals. No way of knowing unless you were an insider on the team day in and day out. Always finger pointing after losses.

I don't personally subscribe to this theory of off field excuses.
I agree that it is much deeper than that but having played i know for sure that off field stuff doesnt help. Especially in todays social media circus

It doesn't help especially in a year where interactions are restricted already hindering interpersonal communication and team bonding. Winning helps, losing tends not to

I agree that it is much deeper than that but having played i know for sure that off field stuff doesnt help. Especially in todays social media circus

having also played I can assure you I didn’t give a sht what anybody did off the field. I laced them up everyday to win whether it was practice or a game.

These are rumblings coming from outside of SU, there is no obsession this what other people claim they are hearing. Could it all be conjecture and bad information of course, but its not coming from this board and no one is grasping at straws. Second those reasons were as I noted provided by a Yale fan not from me.

Was at a Memorial Day party in CT today, where an Ivy League alum (Penn, not Yale) said rumors were Shay was talking to Syracuse.

I had no idea until I did a search in this forum just now.

Major part of the rationale - as explained to me - is that “any decent” Ivy head coach is not happy with the idea of rebuilding a program that took an off year as a league and then has to deal with portal mayhem.

Before today, I had (lightly) heard Desko was coming back with an ultimatum of “vast improvement.” Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong with that.

Was at a Memorial Day party in CT today, where an Ivy League alum (Penn, not Yale) said rumors were Shay was talking to Syracuse.

Before today, I had (lightly) heard Desko was coming back with an ultimatum of “vast improvement.” Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong with that.
Wouldn’t surprise me at this point if both things were true.

I had no idea until I did a search in this forum just now.

Major part of the rationale - as explained to me - is that “any decent” Ivy head coach is not happy with the idea of rebuilding a program that took an off year as a league and then has to deal with portal mayhem.

Definitely a lot of rumblings, I believe there is some validity to them but this week and next week will tell how serious those talks via direct or back channel were. As Naz posted right after you, I certainly believe that both things you heard could be true. Based on Deskos history here it's plausible if not likely the admin would give him one final chance to turn things around. Still there has been to much smoke to dismiss the Shay info as hearsay and simply rumor. The silence from the ADs office speaks volumes.

It's a very tough situation for the AD. There have only been 4 head coaches at Cuse etc. You hate to be the guy to fire Desko and not let him leave with at least the appearance of it being his decision. He has had great success at Cuse and has carried himself with integrity and an "old school" stoicism not seen much anymore. He has never showed the emotion of many coaches and his comments on players have been very understated - both when they play well and poorly. His loyalty to starters and seniors who earned their positions was admirable in a winning tradition but tough to defend when the team is struggling.

The fact that Cuse was about the only team I can think of that under-achieved with a strong returning senior class is a powerful indictment of the coaches. I tend to believe that the Curry-Trimbo-Dordevic midfield was exceptionally talented and Porter and Dearth's talents were wasted in poor systems. And let's face it...the blowouts were just plain embarrassing and should never have happened with the talent. If you take away the Desko legacy and the classy way he presented himself, firing the entire staff would be a no-brainer IMO.

If Desko is to be kept on, I think the best solution is to replace both March and Rogers but that will be tricky to pull off. Some will argue that March should be given more time - I strongly disagree given the mediocre results he had in 20 and 21.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom