Coaching Staff and Potential Changes | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff and Potential Changes

One thing to keep in mind, because it's happened elsewhere, is Desko's being given an ultimatum to hire one or more new assistants (firing present ones) and he refuses. That would give the AD an excuse to clean house. This has happened elsewhere in other sports, which would make it a possibility of unknown probability = or > 0. Believe me when I tell you, I'm the last person on Earth who would claim to know what will happen.

It's a very tough situation for the AD. There have only been 4 head coaches at Cuse etc. You hate to be the guy to fire Desko and not let him leave with at least the appearance of it being his decision. He has had great success at Cuse and has carried himself with integrity and an "old school" stoicism not seen much anymore. He has never showed the emotion of many coaches and his comments on players have been very understated - both when they play well and poorly. His loyalty to starters and seniors who earned their positions was admirable in a winning tradition but tough to defend when the team is struggling.

The fact that Cuse was about the only team I can think of that under-achieved with a strong returning senior class is a powerful indictment of the coaches. I tend to believe that the Curry-Trimbo-Dordevic midfield was exceptionally talented and Porter and Dearth's talents were wasted in poor systems. And let's face it...the blowouts were just plain embarrassing and should never have happened with the talent. If you take away the Desko legacy and the classy way he presented himself, firing the entire staff would be a no-brainer IMO.

If Desko is to be kept on, I think the best solution is to replace both March and Rogers but that will be tricky to pull off. Some will argue that March should be given more time - I strongly disagree given the mediocre results he had in 20 and 21.

How is that the best solution? Desko is a short timer at this point, no matter what. Why get rid of the two guys who do all the recruiting to keep a short timer on board, particular when the Class of '22 looks like a long awaited return to form?

I think you ride or die with Desko and this group. The alternative is if you can nab a high calibre head coach, with a plug and play staff. What constitutes "high calibre" here is subjective, obviously.

Desko may very well get another year to turn things around. But without at least 3 high impact transfers — point attack and two defenders for starters — it’s simply not happening.

idk
A0B4DDE0-E606-4082-92BC-1C0D6F348EC3.png

Can't see any of that happening. Would be interesting though!

Desko was on the road recruiting earlier this week. (I guess it could be a forced retirement)
As far as i know, Gait has never given an indication that he's interested in switching to the men's side of the game.
Petro to Cuse just seems wrong.
Spallina just had a NYT feature story focused on how his mindset revolves around competing against the blue bloods, like Syracuse.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen. I have heard that the Chance and JW are furious over the Scanlan debacle.

Probably not for SU but Petro has indicated multiple times recently he wants to coach again and soon
Not saying Petro is coming, however I do not think he would not do it. I think being fired by Hopkins really galls him, and getting back at them might play into his thinking, Syracuse would be an opportunity for him to get back at Hopkins.

This would be something! On the surface a lot of it makes sense, though there is obviously a lot of factors that would make me skeptical.

Desko retiring: Reasons to beleive - not the best season, obviously a lot of fans are clamoring for change. Has said he wants to come back but after a trying season he may just need a break from it all. Reasons not to - I think this would have happened by now if it was his own accord. The fact that he's still out there recruiting makes it hard to beleive it would be his choice. Of course it might not really be up to him.

Gait to the men's team: Reasons to beleive - not hard, a lot of people have speculated he would move into this role at some point. Syracuse legend, one of the most well known names in the sport. Has had lots of success with the Women's team, though no National Championship. Reasons not to - I can't think of another coach who moved from the women's side to the men's. No college experience coaching men's lacrosse. Has experience coaching in the MLL and NLL, but that would many moons ago.

Petro on staff: Reasons to beleive - has made it clear he wants back into coaching, and wants to coach for a "Power Five" (ACC or Big 10) school. If Gait is the head coach I think this would actually make a lot of sense, given that Gait has no experience coaching an NCAA mens team. No school takes lacrosse more seriously than Syracuse. Also don't know of many coaching opportunities in the ACC Big 10 ranks this off season. Reasons not to - has two sons about to play at UNC, maybe he's looking for something closer to them. Maybe, despite his feelings towards Hopkins right now, he just can't bring himself to join one of their biggest rivals.

Spallina to Women's team: Reasons to beleive - his son is going to be playing for the men's team, for four years, good opportunity to stay close to him. He may feel like he's taken Stony Brook as far as he could and wants a new challenge. A lot more resources at Syracuse. Interesting side note, the two assistant coaches at SU have Stony Brook/Mt Sinai connections. Reasons not to - he has very deep roots on Long Island, has two younger boys rising through the high school ranks along with a daughter, and also runs one of the most successful club teams in Team 91. Would he uproot all of that?

Anyway, the above scenario would be a real gamble by Syracuse, but honestly one that I'd be really excited about. Let's see what happens!

Petro may be unlikely but he is on record saying that he would locate anywhere for the right position with the right program where lacrosse is important to both the school and its fans with expectations to compete for a national championship. Kinda described Cuse and he is familiar with this region so who knows. His rep is old school gruff which doesn't bother me in the least since he was said to also ice nteractive and approachable with all.

Anyway I just hope however this needed to be closed outtopic unfolds that Cuse does not view 22 season as a bridge year because there is a still core of good talent that with some supplements could surprise. Rather not be a Hopkins fan celebrating a 4-9 season . Be dispiriting if any Cuse staff doesn't play to succeed too the max next year

This should be obvious, but I would be extremely unhappy if this was somehow true, which I also doubt very much. Gait does not have the coaching experience in the mens game, and by that I mean most importantly the modern era of the mens game. He has been fully devoted to the women's game, which is a vastly different version of the sport, and I commend his success with the women's squad. His hard work has payed of and he knows how to win. But the chance to play under a legend of the sport is more than canceled out by his lack of experience in the modern mens game. Rogers was so bad as DC last year that he probably deserves to be fired, but Petro was fired for a complete lack of results year in year out, especially with the defense which was his baby. I want a coach who has had positive results in recent years as a mens D1 coach. The program is not in a state of total disaster where I would be willing to take a shot on something like this. Hiring those guys would be completely backwards for the direction I want us to head in. The total opposite of "adapt or die."

Sleepless in Syracuse wont be released to critical acclaim.

Process should not be drawn out leaving long term employees in limbo.

Know it comes with territory but imagine your retention being hotly speculated and debated by the public and media for weeks.

Maybe the AD should undergo a assessment on his handlings that should have been ongoing and less acidulous to parties regardless of any ultimate decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom