Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Did you see Houston double Buddy off the high screen and leave Marek and q all by themselves? Not worried about the shot from either. Let's see someone try that now. Cole will be fine here. the perfect is not the enemy of the good.
Not sure how much competitive ball you’ve played but that dump off to Marek was our best offense because it meant we were basically 4 on 3 (only reason I say it is our sectionals team in NY, our SG was our best player and we had our best passer screen them because we did that dump each other and it opened alot of stuff up). Marek usually made the right play minus not shooting the damn long ball.

If it’s like tyler london screening, I’m all for it but Tyler had more ball skills then Cole where if they jumped the quick pass, he could drive by. I havent seen that with Swider but a highlight video said otherwise

You must see the coincidence that in JB’s final act he goes strictly for the former Big East guys.

Everyone knows he hated the move to the ACC and he’s going out with his kids and the Big East guys. Don’t ruin my moment of loving this JB move.
You really think it’s a nostalgia/loyalty thing to a conference we haven’t belonged to since these two players were in Garanimals? Isn’t it more likely just a familiarity thing? Where, once again, JB doesn’t overly exert himself, and relies on ‘work already done?’ Not that I blame him in this situation. This is like musical chairs, and you don’t want to get caught out. Go with known quantities and established relationships—that’s a surer track than trying to quickrecruit someone over other already established relationships.

You really think it’s a nostalgia/loyalty thing to a conference we haven’t belonged to since these two players were in Garanimals? Isn’t it more likely just a familiarity thing? Where, once again, JB doesn’t overly exert himself, and relies on ‘work already done?’ Not that I blame him in this situation. This is like musical chairs, and you don’t want to get caught out. Go with known quantities and established relationships—that’s a surer track than trying to quickrecruit someone over other already established relationships.
Just having fun with it boss.

A nice pick up under the circumstances. But for folks who were dismayed by some of the lopsided losses this year, better have your anti-depressant of choice ready.

Jimmie B is the ultimate wildcard (he could be a scholie or a walk on). HCJB will make the right call. I'm not worried. One thing for certain...he'll know how to play zone so he can be a solid contributor in the Bahamas while the other new guys are figuring out things.

Sigh.
Why, exactly, will a kid who has never played for Syracuse “know how to play the zone”?

Because he has the same DNA as the coach?
Because he’s watched some practices as a kid growing up?

He’s been at Cornell the last 4 years.
They don’t play zone.
(he didn’t even get to play at all this past season)
He has zero real world experience playing the Syracuse 2-3 zone.

All that said - he’s a grown-ass man, seems very fundamentally sound, nice post footwork, not a beanpole, and is experienced and a good athlete.

So - he’s got the makings of a guy who could be decent in the zone, in time.

I’m not comparing Cole Swider to anybody but Cole Swider.

Great pickup, and one we needed.

He had other big options on the table and he picked us... At the end of the day we roll with who we roll with, and I’m happy Cole’s here.

This fills a need with an experienced player who’s played and been productive against some big time opponents, in big games for one of the premier coaches in the country.

Listen, I’m always happy anyone wants to come and play for Syracuse but I honestly dislike this pickup. Please hear me out before the JB homers go cray.

1. I watched a lot of nova the past few years. He is such a defensive liability, it’s kind of scary. Now I know the zone can mask some but you have to be able to block if you are a forward especially weak side blocking. Him paired with the guys at the top. They are going to get craved up. He had what? 3 blocks all year. That is HORRIBLE

2. This pretty means Q isnt gonna come back here to Syracuse( barring Jimmy Jr is coming here) It’s professional or transfer. I would take Q over Cole anyday of the week because he posses athleticism that we desperately need.

3. He cant put the ball on the floor...like at all. He’s a great shooter but we have them already. What we dont have is someone who can put the ball on the floor. If this was a freshman or even a sophmore, I would have a little bit more hope but he’s gonna be entering his 4th year. It’s kind of “you are what you are”.

4. If the starting line up is really Jg, Buddy, Jimmy Jr and Cole...LOL, they will get murdered in the ACC

Anyways, lets see what happens
Yo do realize that this isn’t shopping: the coaches don’t get to just pick a player off the shelf and bring him to Syracuse.

So...per 2-4-7, we've lost Kadari Richmond (#88 coming out of high school), John Bol Ajak (#480) and Robert Braswell (Unrated) and gotten Symir Torrence, (#75), Cole Swider (#44) to go with Benny Williams, (#25)?

Sounds like a an upgrade to me.
Wow, someone takes a positive outlook on things. What a refreshing change for this board. :)

Most of this and all other forum conversation at this point of the season is about expectations. You, yourself, just proclaimed we have two stars. That’s not a prognostication? Who were you referring to?

Your post #229 is 80% guesses about what’s going to happen next year. Besides that, you’re the one who said “drag on the zone.” Maybe you want to quote which words i actually used that got your panties all bunched up? Something that implied that Braswell might be better in the zone than Swider? Thats upsetting to you? Seriously?
I always get a chuckle when folks go with the mighty “panties in a bunch” line - trying to suggest that the person is thin skinned but showing the exact opposite lol

Do you want it fast, or do you want it right?
I didn't even read his blocked message, but if you know Cuserunner's attitudes towards selling cars and fixing the Yankees' troubles, then there is only one answer for recruiting as well: Fast.

(There is a cheap Foreplay joke in here as well, but it's Easter and Passover, so...)

Cole sticks out with Nova because he is the polar opposite of what Wright usually recruits. I agree the handle isn't making him a guard but he also played for a coach who wants 5 guys to put it on the deck regularly. It's certainly on par with Southerland or Braswells handle and for what his role is likely to be I don't see a problem there.
His handle is significantly better than Q's and CS is at least 3 inches taller.

Well, they didn't handle it all that great this year. I am most worried about full court pressure. might see a lot of that to close games and the two guys that handled it best are now gone. But we might not be done with bringing kids in either. Now that we have Cole and Symir and soon I suspect Jimmy, there might be more.
Benny will fill Marek's role against the press.

FE2DB656-9453-4CEF-8248-C6C645F4B0AC.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom