Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Better lift on his jumper than I saw at Nova. I think he is going to have a real good year for us. I hope he gets the chance to post his man at times too.

Cole a little swole too there..
Swider is going to be awesome this year. The guy is working his ass off to improve some of his limitations athletically, but he is SO freaking skilled.

We have one of the hardest working groups we have had in years. There is no doubt about that.
What more can we ask for? We all want championships and wins, but these young men that have chosen to wear orange are working hard to be the best they can be. That's enough for me. I just can't wait to see the results of their hard work.

What more can we ask for? We all want championships and wins, but these young men that have chosen to wear orange are working hard to be the best they can be. That's enough for me. I just can't wait to see the results of their hard work.

Yep. It's going to be such a difficult team to defend because of the bball IQ paired with the shooting and overall skills.

Setting proper screens, good cuts, running the two man game at times, and then solid chemistry.

This team actually reminds me of the 09-10 Duke team who beat that Butler team we lost to for the title. Am I saying we will be top 5 and win a title?? No. That would be awesome but also pretty dumb to make that assumption. That team had good size and great shooting. It also was not that athletic at all. Probably a little more than we will be but not a lot. Nolan Smith of course there is not an equivalent for but that is beside the point.

They just had great chemistry to go with the size and shooting and kept winning.

Yep. It's going to be such a difficult team to defend because of the bball IQ paired with the shooting and overall skills.

Setting proper screens, good cuts, running the two man game at times, and then solid chemistry.

This team actually reminds me of the 09-10 Duke team who beat that Butler team we lost to for the title. Am I saying we will be top 5 and win a title?? No. That would be awesome but also pretty dumb to make that assumption. That team had good size and great shooting. It also was not that athletic at all. Probably a little more than we will be but not a lot. Nolan Smith of course there is not an equivalent for but that is beside the point.

They just had great chemistry to go with the size and shooting and kept winning.
One team cuts down the nets each year, but it would be sad if that was the only measure of success. This team, I believe, for all of the reasons you mention, will be fun to watch. This past season was difficult, there was so much turbulence, but the end was so much fun. They put it together and had a nice run. I think this season will be much more fun throughout. If not, then we will try it again next year.

One team cuts down the nets each year, but it would be sad if that was the only measure of success. This team, I believe, for all of the reasons you mention, will be fun to watch. This past season was difficult, there was so much turbulence, but the end was so much fun. They put it together and had a nice run. I think this season will be much more fun throughout. If not, then we will try it again next year.

Given we have some guys who are emotional players like Joe and the Dome will be filled with many of us will be such a big plus to start. The fact the Dome will go crazy for a Boeheim family member dunking will be pretty cool too.

The fact that we can be full capacity again, coupled with the fact that is fans are itching to get back there to watch a game, makes me believe we are in for a really exciting year!! Just really have good vibes!! Love all the guys, like some have said, they want to be here, they are working so hard, the coaches have the fire!! LGO

Better lift on his jumper than I saw at Nova. I think he is going to have a real good year for us. I hope he gets the chance to post his man at times too.

Cole a little swole too there..

Everybody is excited about Benny Williams (and I am too!) but I don't think enough people are excited about Swider and Jimmy Boeheim teaming up at the forward positions. With them we will have two 6'9 upperclassmen with polished post games. How many teams will we face that have two forwards who can guard that? Most teams don't even have two forwards on the court, period.

Everybody is excited about Benny Williams (and I am too!) but I don't think enough people are excited about Swider and Jimmy Boeheim teaming up at the forward positions. With them we will have two 6'9 upperclassmen with polished post games. How many teams will we face that have two forwards who can guard that? Most teams don't even have two forwards on the court, period.

Exactly. Especially two forwards who can score inside and out. Also- JJ being a lefty, at least for hoops anyways makes him a tough guard too.

There are NBA style sets that can be run with this group. In fact I hope we see a lot of that including some pick and roll with Joe and Jesse, and others of course too. The threat from deep will provide room to run the PNR.

I think the concern is that they lack the athleticism to compete defensively at the ACC level. That is valid. I think the counter to that argument is, as you said, who can guard them? It will be fun to watch that tug of war this year. Hopefully they learn to work together as a group defensively, and having Jesse in the middle will help, so that they can overcome their lack of elite athleticism using their intelligence and the unique advantages of using the zone.

I think the concern is that they lack the athleticism to compete defensively at the ACC level. That is valid. I think the counter to that argument is, as you said, who can guard them? It will be fun to watch that tug of war this year. Hopefully they learn to work together as a group defensively, and having Jesse in the middle will help, so that they can overcome their lack of elite athleticism using their intelligence and the unique advantages of using the zone.

Yep. With a true center in the middle it will be a big help. Also I'd look for BS or Jesse to shade to the weaker defenders side whoever that is. I really hope Benny can get comfortable in the zone to be a rim protector from the weak side. That can be a big help defensively where say you have Cole or Jimmy dealing with an athletic 6-5 guard as we play against the 3 guard lineups.

Yep. With a true center in the middle it will be a big help. Also I'd look for BS or Jesse to shade to the weaker defenders side whoever that is. I really hope Benny can get comfortable in the zone to be a rim protector from the weak side. That can be a big help defensively where say you have Cole or Jimmy dealing with an athletic 6-5 guard as we play against the 3 guard lineups.
This year we will be able to play chess. In years immediately previous we have only been able to play checkers until the very end of the year.

This year we will be able to play chess. In years immediately previous we have only been able to play checkers until the very end of the year.

Right. And hopefully if you spend all game chasing Buddy around you are going to pay for it every game. Last year it was hit or miss with Griffin and Guerrier when that happened. Now there should be enough threats on the floor to keep defenses more honest.

Right. And hopefully if you spend all game chasing Buddy around you are going to pay for it every game. Last year it was hit or miss with Griffin and Guerrier when that happened. Now there should be enough threats on the floor to keep defenses more honest.
Agreed. The question is, will we have the ball movement to find the open man. Because, the open man will be able to hit the shot, we just need the guys to be able to find that open guy.

I think this post is funny because 1 - it's probably true, 2 - Buddy is the least "athletic" player on the team. The NBA is full of Uber athletes - it shows you how valuable shooting can be I guess.
If you can do one thing really well you can stick in the NBA for a long time. Buddy can shoot it he will play in the NBA.

6-9, 7-0, 6-9 vs. 6-7, a skinny 6-10, 6-5.

Agreed. The question is, will we have the ball movement to find the open man. Because, the open man will be able to hit the shot, we just need the guys to be able to find that open guy.

Yep. In the games later in the year and especially the tourney, Joe was much better with this than he had been when struggling earlier in the year. That said this team will have to find its' groove in that respect for sure. As Buddy has improved every year, the next part for him is going to be his ability to use the attention he gets to be a passer too.

To me working through this is the bigger concern than the D. There are a lot of smart high bball IQ guys on this team which bodes well. That includes the txfrs as well Benny.

Last edited:
I know, you are right. I think the size is there, the IQ is there, but the lateral quickness is also a factor. I am just really happy to see how hard Cole and the others are working to improve their lateral quickness, because THAT will be what can take a good team to a great team.

Yup and 6-6 at guard

I do think our upside defensively this year is only ‘average’ and maybe more likely below average. But I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by the improved rebounding that may more than compensate for the worse ‘D’. I compare it to 2003 where are defense was pretty mediocre (sometimes worse) but they made up for it with rebounding being a strength (rare for us) because of the great size that team had at every position except GMAC (JG3).

Obviously 2003 had one of the best offenses we ever had, but this year has a chance to be a top 10 all time offense too I think (for different reasons than 2003 obviously)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom