Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Coleman

swish7

All Conference
IDK man, I think we'll need him at some point down the line. He's built like a house and has the foundation to be a true inside presence. He posts up fairly well. Though, he still goes up weak when he gets the rock.

He makes some mistakes, but he his no non-senior Jeremy McNeil. JB should give him some run late in the 2nd half. JB did give him a good chance to start the second; DC got around a 5 minute run to start. But, once he's pulled, whether it's the 1st or 2nd, he never comes back. It must be brutal psychologically.

Again, at some point, I think we'll need him. JB's rotations in the 2nd half reek of the old 5.5 person rotation days. We've too much talent for that.

I love BMK, but I cannot believe how much reaching he still does. Gbinje, rought night.

Its not hard to see why Gbinje transferred. Each time he got significant minutes, Baylor went on run.

Its not hard to see why Gbinje transferred. Each time he got significant minutes, Baylor went on run.
Everyone has off games, he doesn't light up the stat lines but he provides active length in the zone. I'm reserving my judgments on young G until we're at least halfway through the season.

Forget about DC2 for this season as anything more than an erratic contributor. It is obvious in the way that he runs the court that he still needs to lose at least another 20 pounds and to greatly improve his conditioning. It is a real shame because I had high hope this kid would become a rich man's AO, now I see him at best as a poor man's AO by his senior season.

IDK man, I think we'll need him at some point down the line. He's built like a house and has the foundation to be a true inside presence. He posts up fairly well. Though, he still goes up weak when he gets the rock.

He makes some mistakes, but he his no non-senior Jeremy McNeil. JB should give him some run late in the 2nd half. JB did give him a good chance to start the second; DC got around a 5 minute run to start. But, once he's pulled, whether it's the 1st or 2nd, he never comes back. It must be brutal psychologically.

Again, at some point, I think we'll need him. JB's rotations in the 2nd half reek of the old 5.5 person rotation days. We've too much talent for that.

I love BMK, but I cannot believe how much reaching he still does. Gbinje, rought night.

Coleman's play is inexplicable. This is a NYS player of the year, a Mickey D, who won multiple state titles, but the way he runs around and how he handles the ball makes him seem like he just started playing BB 6 months ago. The topper is how poorly he finishes from 2 ft away. He'll get better but now you wonder how low his ceiling is rather than how high it was a year ago.

This last summer he worked hard on conditioning and weight loss. Next summer it has to be 100 % focused on technique. If he does that then next year he will see the consistent productive minutes we were hoping to see this year.

On the rare occasion that he gets the ball in the lane he still brings it down and either has it stripped away or tied up. He needs to keep that up high away from the pesky hands poking around. He also needs to learn how to use that big ass to clear space and not his shoulders. Once he fixes those 2 things he will be a lot better.

Given the lack of improvement in Keita, Rak, and DC I'm starting to come around to the idea that Hop isn't the right guy to be coaching our bigs.

Roc has improved a lot.. he has become our best defensive big man and plays aggressively a lot more. Dont let the statistics fool you. Dc2 will grow each year as he has this year. He is better on d and on offense too. He will be a weapon used when there is an advantage to having a bruiser like he is down low. He was huge against minny. I think some folks on here expect way too much from these kids statistically and don't realize we have the benefit of rotating the bigs to best counter the opponent. It is a real advantage to have that flexibility. Just as some are too hard on mike g who plays solid d, rebounds well and had had important moments like steadying things against cornell and a big block against baylor. He is an intelligent player and you can see why he was a duke recruit. He will get better and will add value more as the season progresses and ennis has another off game or two. Lets enjoy being 7-0 and what we get from this group as it is inevitable the time for bumps and negatives popping up will come as they do nearly every year.

Roc has improved a lot.. he has become our best defensive big man and plays aggressively a lot more. Dont let the statistics fool you. Dc2 will grow each year as he has this year. He is better on d and on offense too. He will be a weapon used when there is an advantage to having a bruiser like he is down low. He was huge against minny. I think some folks on here expect way too much from these kids statistically and don't realize we have the benefit of rotating the bigs to best counter the opponent. It is a real advantage to have that flexibility. Just as some are too hard on mike g who plays solid d, rebounds well and had had important moments like steadying things against cornell and a big block against baylor. He is an intelligent player and you can see why he was a duke recruit. He will get better and will add value more as the season progresses and ennis has another off game or two. Lets enjoy being 7-0 and what we get from this group as it is inevitable the time for bumps and negatives popping up will come as they do nearly every year.
This is easily the best post I have ever seen on this board regarding player development, substitution patterns and individual player roles vs our wishes/ expectations as fans.
i completely agree with everyting you said.
Well done!

Coleman still has things to work on, but he's improved a lot from last year. Last year he was a 1 out of 10 on defense, now he is a 5 out of 10. On the offensive side, he has calmed down quite a bit and doesn't spaz too much when getting the ball. He rebounds very well. I am now convinced that he's a 4 year guy and that as a JR and SR, he will be a force. That's great because we have lots of depth at C.

Coleman still has things to work on, but he's improved a lot from last year. Last year he was a 1 out of 10 on defense, now he is a 5 out of 10. On the offensive side, he has calmed down quite a bit and doesn't spaz too much when getting the ball. He rebounds very well. I am now convinced that he's a 4 year guy and that as a JR and SR, he will be a force. That's great because we have lots of depth at C.
Good points all. He is an exceptionally efficient and instinctive rebounder, with an emerging offensive game. He will be a force at times this season, and although this team doesn't need that from him to be successful, his development could turn a very strong team into a legitimate national title contender.

Is that because we had a great defense last year so he ranked last. And now we have a good defense he ranks in the middle?

Keita peaked last March. Reached his ceiling. He keeps bringing his arms down and it's maddening. Nothing wrong with Coleman and Rak being 4-yr. guys. They are improving at a snails pace but they are improving. I believe Rak's motor is slowly getting better. SO much potential with them. Something Baye just doesn't have. In all honesty some kind of true big man coach could make a transformation with those two. Sigh. On with Tuesday!

Last edited:

I really like what I have seen thus far from Coleman. I feel he has improved a great deal from last season. He looks to be in great shape, and has improved his post play once he receives the ball, as well as his defense. He still has a bit to go to earn JB's trust, but after BMK next season we should see Coleman play a pivotal roll for the team. He seems really really close . He just needs to continue to work on his conditioning, and his lateral movement. On offense he just needs to continue to let the game come to him. Slow down, survey the defenders, and then make a strong move while keeping the ball high without wasting any dribbles. His rebounding has been outstanding. For this season i would love to see him continue to be a strong rebounder on the offensive and defensive end, while trying to provide an offensive sparks in a couple handfuls of games. By the time he is a Senior I have a feeling we will all be saying how far he has come since his Freshman year

Against Baylor I saw Coleman post up one time from the right block. He backed his man down and then spun to his right to the front of the rim and into a slew of Baylor defenders. If he had spun to his left he would've had a wide open layup. He is wide enough to create enough space to score without having to play above the rim but he doesn't seem to have the skill / instincts yet to maneuver efficiently and with purpose. I think the kid may be thinking too much instead of playing instinctively.

Is that because we had a great defense last year so he ranked last. And now we have a good defense he ranks in the middle?

OK good point, but no I don't think so. He was just woefully out of position and didn't react well last year. Every time. This year, he has played good defense a couple times and been in the right place a couple times. Unfortunately, I can think of two times where he played solid D and his man scored anyway - that's just bad luck. I think he is getting better.

Now we can see why he dropped in the rankings during his senior year in high school. I specifically recall scouts saying his game didn't develop the way they felt it should have. He played against guys not physically able to match up with him, so he could get away with the ducking moves etc. He can't get away with that at this level and he's clearly still adjusting. He has the size and talent - just needs to come together for him. But because of the hype, a lot of us expected a ready/polished player - or at least more ready than he has looked.

zhanjuzi said:
This last summer he worked hard on conditioning and weight loss. Next summer it has to be 100 % focused on technique. If he does that then next year he will see the consistent productive minutes we were hoping to see this year.

He should have called Fab's conditioning coach. I really didn't see any difference between DCs conditioning last year to this year. The difference between Fab between his two years was astounding. And Fab had rep for being lazy?

He should have called Fab's conditioning coach. I really didn't see any difference between DCs conditioning last year to this year. The difference between Fab between his two years was astounding. And Fab had rep for being lazy?

You don't see any difference? He's in MUCH better condition this season. The weight loss is easily noticeable.

RF2044 said:
You don't see any difference? He's in MUCH better condition this season. The weight loss is easily noticeable.

He really does look fat and out of shape still IMHO.

RE: two3zone and RF2044-

It kind of looked like a few months ago DC had really managed a major change in physique, but has since put on some weight again for some reason. Or maybe not. Looks that way, though. But doesn't the long season usually favor needed weight loss? My concern is possible injury. Especially in the knee department.

His defense is what is really killing his court time right now. He comes up way too high and has no awareness of anyone slipping behind him. He's still a long way from being a consistent contributor. Hopefully it starts to click soon.

The problem is he finishes sloppier than the day i lost my virginity. Getting better but needs to inprove

Dry heaves. Me now and probably you then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom