College bball is broken | Syracusefan.com

College bball is broken

Orangemen

All Conference
I still love it, but man it is getting rough. This Pitt-ND game is exhibit 10847 about how bad it's gotten.

We all thought UConns abortion of a NC game was a one off, unfortunately it looks like it was the tipping point.

Someone's gotta fix this sport.

The refs are ruining the game of CBB along with the lowest level of talent in a while collectively.

how to fix it in five easy steps

1. bring the conference realignment era to a close
2. unite the major conferences in a new federation
3. exit the NCAA and the remaining NCAA institutions
4. institute profit sharing with the players in revenue earning sports
5. appoint a "commissioner" who has the best interests of the game at heart

Pitt is everything that's wrong with it. EVERY time Cooley touches it, Pitt doubles and literally grabs his arms. It's unreal that they not only get away with it, but ALWAYS get away with it.

Amen!

Institute a 30 second clock.
No more time outs to save possessions when going out of bounds

I would add that the non-stop stoppages in play may be adding to the problems. There are too many and too frequent timeouts. Constant stopping and starting has to interrupt the flow of the game. Coaches seem to think so, it's why they call a timeout when the other team starts on a roll.

They institute change after change for TV and keep telling us the changes don't effect the game, well the evidence would say otherwise.

I still love it, but man it is getting rough. This Pitt-ND game is exhibit 10847 about how bad it's gotten.

We all thought UConns abortion of a NC game was a one off, unfortunately it looks like it was the tipping point.

Yeah, I was sitting in a restaurant last night with an eye on this game. One point for ND in the first 13 minutes ??? Yikes, that's fugly.

Pitt is everything that's wrong with it. EVERY time Cooley touches it, Pitt doubles and literally grabs his arms. It's unreal that they not only get away with it, but ALWAYS get away with it.
I do agree. When a team gets a reputation for playing that way it is almost accepted that a certain amount of banging is ok. Pitt takes it to an art form where every cut is bumped, every shooter gets hit and every rebound is a scrum. It definitely takes the offense out of the game.

Now, I'm not sure I want it like the Seton Hall game the other night where a whistle was blown every ten seconds. That takes the continuity out of the game. There has to be a hapy medium.

And these punks are going to the ACC with us. Ugh. I'm hoping to hell that that virus doesn't infect the rest of the conference.

Every game that Pitt plays becomes a shat-show. Why any player would go there and play in that system is beyond me.

Btw, ND contributed mightily to fugliness of that game by working the shot clock. Really, really unwatchable hoops.

Jay Bilas was all over the refs again...at least he gets it.

I would add that the non-stop stoppages in play may be adding to the problems. There are too many and too frequent timeouts. Constant stopping and starting has to interrupt the flow of the game. Coaches seem to think so, it's why they call a timeout when the other team starts on a roll.

They institute change after change for TV and keep telling us the changes don't effect the game, well the evidence would say otherwise.

I think they should do what the NBA does when it comes to timeouts. If a team takes a timeout, then that takes the place of the upcoming media timeout. So instead of having a full timeout at 18 minutes, followed by the under 16, the full timeout at 18 would negate the under 16. Make those TO's full ones, and then any other ones 30 second TO.

Institute a 30 second clock.
No more time outs to save possessions when going out of bounds

You cant be falling out of bounds and call a timeout to save the possession anymore

Now, I'm not sure I want it like the Seton Hall game the other night where a whistle was blown every ten seconds.
I think that's what's needed to be honest. Right now we have a situation where the refs are adjusting to the players. That should be going in the other direction - the players should be adjusting to the officiating. If it's done properly, games are called tight the first little bit, the players understand the boundaries, and they adjust. If players aren't adjusting I have no problem with the refs calling several whistle heavy games in a row until the players understand.

Now that I'm typing this up I can articulate two problems. 1, refs are inconsistent. 2, players don't adjust. Fix the first and the second should fall in to place.

How many of these threads is this so far this year? 7? 8?

How many of these threads is this so far this year? 7? 8?

I'll take the over .. had to be 10 or more..

On a serious note - why not standardize the rules across all of basketball? College football is slowly getting closer and closer to being identical in its rule structure to the NFL.. aside from maybe official reviews why not push back the 3pt line, put the same size arc in, change the game to four 12 min quarters and make the shot clock 24 seconds. Add in defensive 3 seconds, 6 fouls for a DQ and make the college game more exciting and a better preparation for the next level. This may take away some of the parity but it should still leave enough. Conferences could still make tv deals by having timeouts at the under 8, under 4 and end of quarter.

Firstly there should be no Big East or ACC or Big 10 officials. There should be NCAA officials operating under the same instructions and interpretations. And there should be more oversight. JB on his show said that the NBA reviews each game the refs do with them. And there shouldn't be guys doing 4-5 games a week.

I've also always felt that the foul-out rule is a bad one. If a player gets called for 5 fouls I guarantee you that at least two of them were questionable. Yet talented players miss huge chunks of games because of "foul trouble". How about having a player who commits a foul having to leave the game for a minute, (and can't come back in until the first dead ball after the minute is up)?

Firstly there should be no Big East or ACC or Big 10 officials. There should be NCAA officials operating under the same instructions and interpretations. And there should be more oversight. JB on his show said that the NBA reviews each game the refs do with them. And there shouldn't be guys doing 4-5 games a week.

I've also always felt that the foul-out rule is a bad one. If a player gets called for 5 fouls I guarantee you that at least two of them were questionable. Yet talented players miss huge chunks of games because of "foul trouble". How about having a player who commits a foul having to leave the game for a minute, (and can't come back in until the first dead ball after the minute is up)?

Funny SWC - I was actually pondering the foul-out rule while writing my response above. The only thing with requiring that player go off the court is that is really is the same problem in that it creates a disadvantage. It may not matter for most of the game but in the last 2 minutes that could be a problem. Having fouls be strictly about free throws I think makes more sense. Why not as I noted go to the NBA rule - five fouls equals two shots. No 1 and 1 that allows a trailing team to get lucky by hacking a poor FT shooter. Eliminate the DQ rule or make it much more difficult to get to and then use NBA rules in terms of being in the bonus. Having teams get into the double bonus quicker should discourage fouling while also keeping the key players on the court and making fouling less of a key to coaching like trying to get a key big man out of the game.

Here is what the coaches will tell you and they are right:

College Basketball was a beautiful game in the 70's and 80's but has steadily been eroded to what we currently watch.

1st problem is players lack in basic fundamentals when they arrive at school; take AAU ball for instance, if a AAU coach even tries to make fundamentals a point of emphasis the players simply leave and go to another program, where they can just freelance and since coaches do not want to lose star players they have simply stopped stressing fundamentals, same goes for the myriad of Prep programs.

2nd problem is back in the day players in college used to "play" in practice, they developed chemistry with their teammates and were ready to go by the time the season started. The coaches also had unlimited contact with the team in the off season, now they are allowed almost no time during the off season so the season is taken up with a bunch of x and o and practices stressing fundamentals, very little development of team chemistry.

That is why every year you have teams from smaller schools with a bunch of 4th and 5th year seniors whooping more talented teams because they have developed that chemistry that is so elusive to most programs because of transfers, players leaving early and the limited contact because of NCAA regulations.

Fixing the conference crap won't do anything.

Can someone explain to me how only football or basketball players could be paid, due to Title IX implications. I have never heard of a satisfactory answer but there must be one.

Under Title IX, if an academic institution pays the male athletes does it not need to offer the same benefits to female athletes?

Can someone explain to me how only football or basketball players could be paid, due to Title IX implications. I have never heard of a satisfactory answer but there must be one.

Under Title IX, if an academic institution pays the male athletes does it not need to offer the same benefits to female athletes?

Title IX is about access to scholarships and facilities.

Title IX isn't an issue here. The NCAA and the schools get significant revenue from D1 football and basketball and that is what should be shared with the athletes.

One thing I've always thought that should happen to improve the flow of the game is that any foul committed by the losing team in the last minute should be an intentional foul - considering the fact that they are literally fouling somebody intentionally!

I used to LOVE college basketball; knew every player on every major roster. For the past 5 or so years, I've been incredibly 'Cuse-centric and I now only know our squad and some of the key players that we face. I don't know if that is in part due to increasing other responsibilites in life (probably), but it is definitely also due to the fact that b-ball has become more painful to watch for all of these reasons stated in this thread - gameplay, timeouts, refs, talent, etc.

I think it's up to the league commissioners to MAKE the referees blow the whistle when a defender puts his hands, hips and knees on an offensive player. Simple math, blow the whistle and the game will immediately change. The rest is just window dressing. Especially Big East referees and a local one. Once just a BE problem has become a national virus. If hand checks are called the teams will score more and players will adjust.

6 fouls would be a disaster though. You think Pitt's bad now? See what happens when each of their guys has an extra foul to give.

Funny SWC - I was actually pondering the foul-out rule while writing my response above. The only thing with requiring that player go off the court is that is really is the same problem in that it creates a disadvantage. It may not matter for most of the game but in the last 2 minutes that could be a problem. Having fouls be strictly about free throws I think makes more sense. Why not as I noted go to the NBA rule - five fouls equals two shots. No 1 and 1 that allows a trailing team to get lucky by hacking a poor FT shooter. Eliminate the DQ rule or make it much more difficult to get to and then use NBA rules in terms of being in the bonus. Having teams get into the double bonus quicker should discourage fouling while also keeping the key players on the court and making fouling less of a key to coaching like trying to get a key big man out of the game.

I should clarify: the player removed form the game could be substituted for in that span.

But the biggest way to clean up the game is with consistent officiating, which can't be obtained when the refs work for various conferences. They pointed out on The Score's Afternoon Drive that under the current system, officials that were left go by one conference for incompetency can be immediately hired by another conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom