Congrats to the staff | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to the staff

CIL

All Conference
I have it on good authority that Doug and co had to fight several battles up until Tuesday. I do not know who the players were, but a good 5 to 6 (outside of Brantley, Whitehurst) were getting contact from some major players over the last few weeks. I would think Whigham, Manley, McFarlane, Morgan, Thompson, and Hillard would be the 6, but I can't be certain. I had heard that many schools had come by to check out Coleman (Purdue and someone else) but he said time and time again thanks but no thanks.

This is by far the best class I can remember if you measure it by BCS offers. I think every single kid had an offer from another school at some point, regardless of what Scout or Rivals claim (not sure about Lewis or Palmer, but I do know that they had some major interest from regional BCS schools after great senior seasons).

It explains why Adkins and Marrone look like they just got back to Syracuse from a 3 days saty in Vegas. Onto 2013.

Exactly. Marrone mentioned in his presser coming into the office in the morning and working until 1am or whatever. Not to mention all the flight miles and probably trying to interview coaches. Of course they are exhausted who the hell wouldn’t be.

The Daily News article also mentioned Wayne Morgan being hounded by Penn State, Wisconsin and West Virginia up until the end.

I have little doubt that Josh Parris and James Washington became targets at the end as well.

well said CIL... Congrats is in order... Now get some rest Doug and let's get things moving in the right direction this Spring!

Those are the fights he wants to be in. He's had a few every year, and it's a good sign.

When I see him looking so tired, I wonder if it makes him start thinking something along the lines of "the NFL sure was better than this".

Getting more players that fit the mold, developing them properly, winning more games, improving the facilities, going to the ACC while Rutgers and UConn languish in the Big Country, hopefully this process will get a little less stressful.

Completely agree. Staff did a wonderful job holding things together. I don't blame them for Whitehurst or Brantley.

I have it on good authority that Doug and co had to fight several battles up until Tuesday. I do not know who the players were, but a good 5 to 6 (outside of Brantley, Whitehurst) were getting contact from some major players over the last few weeks. I would think Whigham, Manley, McFarlane, Morgan, Thompson, and Hillard would be the 6, but I can't be certain

Those are the fights he wants to be in. He's had a few every year, and it's a good sign.

When I see him looking so tired, I wonder if it makes him start thinking something along the lines of "the NFL sure was better than this".

Getting more players that fit the mold, developing them properly, winning more games, improving the facilities, going to the ACC while Rutgers and UConn languish in the Big Country, hopefully this process will get a little less stressful.

I think it onlt gets worse the better we get, the better the athlete the more the demand. I think Marrone will be fine, who wants their HC looking well rested yesterday?

I'm sure it was a battle the whole way till the end, good job men now grab 4 hours of sleep and get back to work on that 2013 class.

I'd like to add a big thank you to the families of these guys as well, you can't do this the right way if you don't get that support from what is the most important part of their lives.

I have it on good authority that Doug and co had to fight several battles up until Tuesday. I do not know who the players were, but a good 5 to 6 (outside of Brantley, Whitehurst) were getting contact from some major players over the last few weeks. I would think Whigham, Manley, McFarlane, Morgan, Thompson, and Hillard would be the 6, but I can't be certain. I had heard that many schools had come by to check out Coleman (Purdue and someone else) but he said time and time again thanks but no thanks.

This is by far the best class I can remember if you measure it by BCS offers. I think every single kid had an offer from another school at some point, regardless of what Scout or Rivals claim (not sure about Lewis or Palmer, but I do know that they had some major interest from regional BCS schools after great senior seasons).

It explains why Adkins and Marrone look like they just got back to Syracuse from a 3 days saty in Vegas. Onto 2013.

Ditto to all of that.

He mentioned Zion Jones as getting a late push from SEC schools.

We kept all the people that I am really high on and have high hopes for. From your list CIL I would think that maybe Morris got a couple calls also. There are about 5-6 people in this class that I think could be something real special.

On the down side I just don't like leaving scholarships on the table when early on in the process we were turning some people away with talent away because we were "full" I think Doug will learn you are never full until the end. But all in all very excited about 5-7 kids we got coming in. Think they have a really chance.

Perhaps that would explain the lack of energy and/or time to prepare for an signing day event.

i'm pretty casual when it comes to the recruiting stuff. if anything though, it seems like marrone is trying to recruit the "right" way, in that he is identifying players early in the process and developing relationships. i think that is something to be happy about, because it seems like a better long-term approach.

Perhaps that would explain the lack of energy and/or time to prepare for an signing day event.
you know I think you're spot on. As much as I miss that event if it helps the guy out to relax and decompress as just another thing to worry about (no longer), than cool. Many are really worried about the big picture and his health so, again, I miss it but if it helps him in that way then it's ok by me.

Remember all the naysayers on this board who complained about the majority of these playersas they were mostly early commits? It seems obvious now that the staff knows how to evaluate talent so this year when we get early verbals be happy despite what the offer list is.

I think it onlt gets worse the better we get, the better the athlete the more the demand. I think Marrone will be fine, who wants their HC looking well rested yesterday?

That's why i've always liked spurrier -- he never seems to work too hard. there's something sorta cool about that.

Hopefully someday football will match basketball where the program "recruits itself"...

...doubtful, but a nice thought.

I think an early signing date would help out all schools and some student athletes from this type of activity, say Sept 1st. The athlete should be able to commit early and then be done with it. The school could then concentrate on the rest of the class, the athlete would then not have to go through all the harrassment that obviously takes place, and less money would be spent in the process. The school would then be in a position to talk about this person to the press as well. If an athlete does not want to committ early he can wait until National LOI day like they do now, if however the Head Coach leaves the program before National LOI day then the early signer would have the option to explore other options. Just a thought.

I wish I was making a million bucks. And I'd hold a recruiting event, too... For free ;)

Seriously, no one says the event has to be on signing day.

you know I think you're spot on. As much as I miss that event if it helps the guy out to relax and decompress as just another thing to worry about (no longer), than cool. Many are really worried about the big picture and his health so, again, I miss it but if it helps him in that way then it's ok by me.

except to show up and talk, i don't think doug would have a lot of work to do. there are people to handle all the logistics and putting film together.

On the down side I just don't like leaving scholarships on the table when early on in the process we were turning some people away with talent away because we were "full" I think Doug will learn you are never full until the end.

If Brantley and Whitehurst don't flip we are full or 1 spot left open. Coach may prefer to have 1 or 2 spots open seeing that it netted us both Bromley and West well after signing day. I'd rather not have 40 commits like the SEC schools, pulling offers late would kill a school like SU on the recruting trail. Also, our coaches saying "we're full" could be coach speak for "sorry you didn't really progress and you're better to look elsewhere" in kinder, more simple terms.

I'd add Ford to your list...

If Brantley and Whitehurst don't flip we are full or 1 spot left open. Coach may prefer to have 1 or 2 spots open seeing that it netted us both Bromley and West well after signing day. I'd rather not have 40 commits like the SEC schools, pulling offers late would kill a school like SU on the recruting trail. Also, our coaches saying "we're full" could be coach speak for "sorry you didn't really progress and you're better to look elsewhere" in kinder, more simple terms.

Yes but don't you kind of have to expect to take a few losses or lose some to grades? You don't hit 25 and go sorry to everyone else we are closed.

Like I said I am excited about the class but I do not like leaving open spots when we turned down some talented people.

Penn State came after a lot of our guys, early and late.
DM had to love that, coming from his 'best friend' in coaching, Bill O'Brien.

DM had to love that, coming from his 'best friend' in coaching, Bill O'Brien.
I'm sorry, but I think that kids who commit to go play for Penn State right now need to have their heads and moral compasses examined. I bag on Rutgers a lot because I despised their HC, but their players were just dumb and gullible. With all the attention on Penn State's institutional corruption, you have to be a specially evil-blind doofus to want to go play there at this time. Bad show, bad character mark.

Yes but don't you kind of have to expect to take a few losses or lose some to grades? You don't hit 25 and go sorry to everyone else we are closed.

Like I said I am excited about the class but I do not like leaving open spots when we turned down some talented people.

Only 13 players exhaust their eligibility next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom