Could Stevens return make offense less wide open? | Syracusefan.com

Could Stevens return make offense less wide open?

Excited to have Stevens back, but does that mean more 2-TE sets?

I think the addition of Stevens would make the 2-TE set an advantage. Maybe not against USC but against anyone else.

He'd be better for the run game and is a serious threat in the passing game. is a matchup problem against most linebackers.

if nothing else this allows Wales to get some breathers this weekend.

I don't see that as an issue. Stevens is going to line up wide, not be bunched in like a traditional two TE set, where we're looking to max protect or bolster the run blocking.

Wales looked great last weekend. If Stevens was really the top receiving TE in preseason camp, we're adding lots of weapons at Nassib's disposal, and it is hard not to envision SU [factoring in Thompson, as well] having the top TE unit in the conference.

1. For the ED scrimmage we went mostly 2 TE sets very little 3 WRs. But with both Stevens and Thompson out we were forced to abandon that.

2. Even with the 3 WRs we did not spread NW out. There were a lot of tight formations and we didn't start throwing it down the field until we fell behind. So "wide open" IMO does not describe our O. If you mean will we pass the ball less, well again a lot of that had to do with being behind.

I think the bigger issue will be that one TE will not need to run 80 plays like Wales did last week.

and it helps to run the two TE sets in the red zone off play action.

I for one am thrilled that Stevens is back.

Don't forget Carl Cutler. He made a few plays against NW. I believe Marrone said he would be used as a FB and TE. The kid deserves to have a great season considering all of the health problems he has faced in his career.

What coverages was Nw playing early vs what they played later in the game?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

As a Pats fan I continue to be perplexed why people think 2 TE sets are an inherently bad thing?

As a Pats fan I continue to be perplexed why people think 2 TE sets are an inherently bad thing?
Yep

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

True but that works very well when you have 2 of the best 5 (maybe 4 or 3?) TE's in the league. They're better than just about every defender that they go up against.

I don't think our TE's share that same luxury. Nor does anyone else in the NFL. Closest thing in college has been Stanford.

I hope we continue to feature 3 WR sets, especially when Lemon is back.

Unless we're playing West Virginia, then I hope we line up 5 TE sets every play.

Stevens is a great weapon in my opinion. I think that he creates match up problems for DB's and LB's I love that he is available

I am happy that he is available-Just wondering if the O will look different w/ him

I am happy that he is available-Just wondering if the O will look different w/ him

He was split out wide very often last season. It'll be interesting if Clark and Kobena see less of the field because of it.

We don't have, nor ever did have, quite what the Pats have. I don't mind 2 TE's per se, but I question splitting out TE's instead of using an additional WR.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2TE sets are fine. 2 TE sets with a fullback not so much.

Kinda like how bunch formations with a bunch of fast guys > bunch formations with a bunch of slow guys.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom