Current state of recruiting?

• We're in trouble

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Heading in the wrong direction, 2018 will be telling

Votes: 77 50.7%
  • We'll be fine

Votes: 49 32.2%

• Total voters
The 2016 was good to great getting Battle - Thompson - Moyer. That is a good haul and a good class.

The 2017 class went down hill because and only becuase the recruitment of the PG situation. We went all in on Green and told everyone else to kick rocks. Green picked UK at the 23rd hour and we had no other options. If Green picked SU then would we be having this discussion right now?

While I don't like the vibe and feel of the recruiting the results outside of missing Green have been there. I think the 2018 class will be the things that decides our direction if we are going to go on a little dip or if we are done with the dip.

I don't think we're in major trouble, yet, but we're heading in the wrong direction. I'd be curious to hear why people think we'll be fine. Is it just pure hope or something else?

I don't think we're in major trouble, yet, but we're heading in the wrong direction. I'd be curious to hear why people think we'll be fine. Is it just pure hope or something else?
Because we know how to evaluate a situation based on circumstances and don't knee jerk over things that haven't happened yet.

Closing out 17 and what we do in 18 will be telling. The 15 class has 2 NBA players. The 16 class will likely have 2 NBA players. 17 will have at least 1. It was the class surrounding Ennis, the sanction s and the miss on Kaleb that caused the last three subpar regular seasons.

Because we know how to evaluate a situation based on circumstances and don't knee jerk over things that haven't happened yet.
These aren't circumstances we're used to or have had before...

...while glossing over things that actually have (or more accurately didn't) happened.

...while glossing over things that actually have (or more accurately didn't) happened.
Quade Green was an anomaly, not a trend.

Jordan Tucker went from not a target for 6 months to a "we lost this kid and now we're doomed" player overnight. Meanwhile, it appears we're in great shape for a lot of 2018 kids, and with Boeheim's future no longer looming over the class, and the scholarship restrictions almost up, we're looking to be on the rebound.

If we don't get any of our targets in 2018, then you can freak out. Until then, chalk it up to shittty luck and odd circumstance.

You know the guy who's running down the corridor waving his arms screaming? That's me.

It looks pretty grim. The Orange BB brand is taking a beating. Villanova winning a NC has really hurt us recruiting the Philly guys. The about to retire HOF coach situation is not helping.

It's okay. I will still watch every game. It's just my expectations are very low. It's going to be a tough few years. 16 to 18 wins I will be happy I guess. Anything less than 16, ouch. Maybe someone can talk me off the ledge. But it looks a little dark right now. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Closing out 17 and what we do in 18 will be telling. The 15 class has 2 NBA players. The 16 class will likely have 2 NBA players. 17 will have at least 1. It was the class surrounding Ennis, the sanction s and the miss on Kaleb that caused the last three subpar regular seasons.
Agree with this and I'm on the fence between "there are serious issued" and "everything is okay". Since the end of the 2013-2014 season, these are all "unlucky" events to transpire:

Ennis left after 1 year (we hoped to get 2-3 years)
Grant left after 2 years (we hoped to get 2-3 years)
Coleman's knees essentially ruined his career
McCullough torn ACL, he left after 1 year
Ron Patterson not as good as we thought, he left
BJ Johnson didn't redshirt, then he left
Kaleb Joseph not as good as we thought, staff said no thanks to other, better PGs in the 2014 class
Roberson didn't develop as we hoped
Malachi left after 1 year, we hoped to get 2-3 years
Lydon left after 2 years, we hoped to get 3-4 years
Chukwu almost went blind
Howard not as good as hoped
Recruiting misses and/or missed opportunities on Quade, Randolph, Isaiah Washington, Tucker, Lonnie Walker, etc.

Positive events since then:
Development of Gbinije into a very good ACC PG
Surprising readiness of Malachi & Lydon, leading us to Final Four
Stealing back Tyus Battle from Michigan

We need some things to start trending our way. We need our 4 star recruits to stay 2, 3, or 4 years instead of 1 or 2. We need our big guys to stay healthy and injury free. We need to make the right recruiting/scouting decisions (Newton vs. Kaleb), and an occasional 5 star would be nice.

Someone that gets it.

Add Thomas Bryant to the list. Having him for the past 2 seasons would have helped out a lot. With Coleman unable to play, we wouldn't have had to play Lydon at the 5 as much. The 2015-2016 lineup could have been

Gbinije
Cooney
Malachi
Lydon
Bryant

With Roberson and Howard off the bench. That team went to the Final Four and lost to UNC because of rebounding. Bryant was very tough down low, would have helped immensely.

Bad luck at the wrong time is a contributing factor. Regardless of the reason(s) we are now an also ran in the best conference and it is a southern conference. We were a top dog in the best conference and it was a NE conference. Until we recognize this fundamental change in our circumstances we will not make the reinvestments that are needed to save our program. We are at a turning point. Hoping that things will turn around is not going to cut it.

Lets see by the numbers..
Our identity and niche regarding recruiting has changed after leaving Big East and being sanctioned. We aren't the big dog right now and need to figure out feasible recruiting targets and objectives Resting on laurels won't work

Bad luck at the wrong time is a contributing factor. Regardless of the reason(s) we are now an also ran in the best conference and it is a southern conference. We were a top dog in the best conference and it was a NE conference. Until we recognize this fundamental change in our circumstances we will not make the reinvestments that are needed to save our program. We are at a turning point. Hoping that things will turn around is not going to cut it.
Sorry. Didn't mean to repeat u but I responded before getting down to read your post.

Lots of people said the same thing about the 2017 class when fans were waiting to round out the 2016 class at the last minute.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as a lot of people, but this is the impression I get. The further away you are from guys committing, the better things look, and then as you get closer to commitments, Duke or UK or Kansas swoops in and takes the guys we were supposed to be in good shape for.

kind of like how next year's draft is always supposed to be loaded.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as a lot of people, but this is the impression I get. The further away you are from guys committing, the better things look, and then as you get closer to commitments, Duke or UK or Kansas swoops in and takes the guys we were supposed to be in good shape for.

kind of like how next year's draft is always supposed to be loaded.

Correct and in the past we often targeted the right guys early and had them committed before they blew up in their AAU seasons before their senior season of high school. Or we targeted really good highly rated players that were just off or on the fringe of the Duke, UNC, UK, KU radars and got them committed. That is actually what we where doing early on with Green, Randolf and Tucker. But a couple of things played against us. Green played with a lot of major targets and put us off for a long time. Then UK realized they weren't getting their #1 PG and snagged one kid we could have had and added Green a month later. I won't get into Randolf I'm sure everyone knows. We tried to move off of Tucker had to come back to him and the Duke missed on Knox s0 he went there. There was also some different things going on behind the scenes and that was abnormal to our regular recruiting process. This played a big part in not going after different targets and kids like Green never inking.

Sorry. Didn't mean to repeat u but I responded before getting down to read your post.
Carry on
carry on until there is general recognition that the game has changed, putting us at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Ennis left after 1 year (we hoped to get 2-3 years)
Grant left after 2 years (we hoped to get 2-3 years)
Coleman's knees essentially ruined his career
McCullough torn ACL, he left after 1 year
Ron Patterson not as good as we thought, he left
BJ Johnson didn't redshirt, then he left
Kaleb Joseph not as good as we thought, staff said no thanks to other, better PGs in the 2014 class
Roberson didn't develop as we hoped
Malachi left after 1 year, we hoped to get 2-3 years
Lydon left after 2 years, we hoped to get 3-4 years
Chukwu almost went blind
Howard not as good as hoped

Let's be honest.
The Orange have not done a great job adapting to the new reality: any good consistent player is quite likely a 1 and done or 2 and through.
That means teams need to constantly be recruiting players who can step in at key positions.

There's nothing more important than the point.
And look where we are...again.
No clear person to whom the Orange can give the ball with confidence.

That's 3 years in a row.
(We were lucky two seasons ago when Gbinije stepped into the role rather unexpectedly).
After Michael Carter-Williams and Tyler Ennis we were on a roll that ended abruptly.

As the Orange recover from the lost scholarships they need to start doing a little pre-emptive stockpiling.
It's hard because no top player wants to come in as back-up.
And the coach doesn't like playing a deep bench (which helps teams like Kentucky and Duke load up).
But it's a different era and until it changes the Orange need to adapt.
Otherwise this situation may be a persistent issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom