Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

Unless you're a pro golfer... :)
IMG_1305.gif

I wouldn't be shocked either way. No matter what ties you have to something, 100 million if thats true is funny money. That's "I never have to drive again" money.
I hope im completely wrong

Yeah, I could easily see this going either way. The money would be really nice going to LA. However, he's got to think that he has a formula that works in college basketball and even if he doesn't win a championship every year, they will be highly successful and he will be treated as a god there. If he goes to LA and fails (which is very possible), he becomes just another fired head coach in a few years.

I hope he goes. Get him out of college basketball. Also gives me more of a reason to cheer against the Lakers. However, I kind of think this was a strong play to get UConn to up his salary. At the end of the day, I think he stays and gets paid making this whole Lakers thing just a ploy to get more cash.

Number of reasons he could go beyond money itself

1. Some driven people are wired differently - they are constantly looking for new challenges. Going somewhere else and winning a title there, trumps a chance to repeat again at the same place you have already been successful.

2. Maybe Hurley is primarily interested in on the floor coaching. While he is very successful at being an NCAA "coach" in the NIL environment, perhaps the extra elements that are now required for an NCAA coach just don't interest him. Perhaps he wants to focus more on the direct coaching aspect -- and while its many more games in the NBA, an NBA coach also just primarily coaches... all the other **** is handled by the GM's office.

3. It's the Lakers, Like the Celtics. They still have a certain legacy draw that other teams don't.

Number of reasons he could go beyond money itself

1. Some driven people are wired differently - they are constantly looking for new challenges. Going somewhere else and winning a title there, trumps a chance to repeat again at the same place you have already been successful.

2. Maybe Hurley is primarily interested in on the floor coaching. While he is very successful at being an NCAA "coach" in the NIL environment, perhaps the extra elements that are now required for an NCAA coach just don't interest him. Perhaps he wants to focus more on the direct coaching aspect -- and while its many more games in the NBA, an NBA coach also just primarily coaches... all the other **** is handled by the GM's office.

3. It's the Lakers, Like the Celtics. They still have a certain legacy draw that other teams don't.

If he goes and succeeds he’s an all time greatest coach… two NCAA titles and an NBA title or 3 ( given that is what success means in LA)

his kids likely dont have to work with his current situation

You’d be surprised. Maybe if they have invested well. I doubt that they could just live off Dads current earnings. That’s not the point though. This is multi generational kind of wealth. His great grand kids and beyond being setup to be wealthy. Not just his kids being able to live without working.

Turning down $100M while living in Santa Monica and coaching the Lakers to make half the amount of money, have to work in Storrs, CT seems insane especially considering with NIL and the summer basketball circuit that a CBB coach now is essentially a 12 month a year job.

I think its the opposite. You take the cash and fail you became mega rich and oh well. You pass up the money and stay at Uconn and fail, youre the dude that passed on the Lakers to slum around the Big East. Not an easy decision.
Rest assured, however this goes, I will think less of Hurley and will rip him mercilessly.

Nobody tells Riley what to do at Miami. He will tell you to go pound salt.
Riley isn't the coach, Spoelstra is. No issues as long as LJ agrees. Winning cures everything. If you think LeBron is not massively influencing player acquisition, coaches, etc., you are naive. Especially when he was younger. You say nobody tells Riley what to do, you're right. But nobody tells LJ what to do unless he wants to do it.

Turning down $100M while living in Santa Monica and coaching the Lakers to make half the amount of money, have to work in Storrs, CT seems insane especially considering with NIL and the summer basketball circuit that a CBB coach now is essentially a 12 month a year job.
Or, he and his family want to stay on the East coast? Seth Greenberg reveals major factor in Dan Hurley deciding on Lakers job

Remember during the tournament they talked how the wife wanted to be close to family in NJ as well.

This stuff matters to people. Not like he is poor making no money at Uconn. Think they live comfortably already

Exactly. Maybe in the pre-NIL days, this might be a harder decision. But seems like a no brainer now and I say that as a huge college fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom