Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

All I can say, man, is... you should give wrestling a shot at some point in your life.

But the answer is, it's part of the fun.

People try to make it in to a morality thing. It's not. Foe example, the Rutgers dumpster fire thread - Rutgers is a dumpster fire, and that's where we acknowledge it and poke fun. Every once in a while a fan tries to "well akshoolly" the thread. They're not morally superior. They're just less fun.

Tuttle tried to make a point earlier that it reflects poorly on the fan. Whatever. Again, not a morality thing.

Calling Hurley a coward because he lacks the testicular fortitude to take the NBA job is fun.

Have more fun.

Dis your opponents unconditionally.
I didn’t say or imply that my disdain for hate and booing has anything to do with morals. If anything, it’s a maturity/sophistication thing!

Rutgers… oof. Another thing I don’t get. Kinda feels like they are ‘living rent-free’ in a lot of orange skulls. I don’t see the fun in trash talk. Not a moral matter.

[Don't get me started on wrestling!]

Do you eat your candy bars with a fork and knife too?

The fact you don't understand that I'm suggesting you can boo for fun is concerning. Yes, actually booing. Like booing the refs. Booing. It's happens in literally every game you watch.

Not sure if you're being obtuse on purpose or not about the hooliganism comment. I'm suggesting you can hate your arch rivial WITHOUT hooliganism ala soccer teams in europe.
I understand that some people boo for fun. And I also see that some do it from a more emotional angle. Either way, no, I don’t do that unless I’m mocking people who do it. Why is that concerning? As if I’m missing out on some profound experience? Nah, I’ve seen it, and don’t need it.

Reminds me of an earlier conversation in another thread. About how I observe people on Arena Cams…. I think it’s interesting to see how the context, culture, etc. affect how people behave. At a basketball game, people go apesh1t—adults and kids. At a formula 1 race, kids get excited. With adults, you kinda get a sense of who they are in life by their reactions. Some show glee, and some just casually wave. Someone here said he was “fortunate” to get on an arena cam—and then went to some length describing the experience. As if it were an accomplishment. Which is great—anyone who can derive pleasure from something, good for them. I just wonder why/how…. What’s the reward? Horses for courses, as they say…. Some people love pro wrasslin and some love The Crown.

Obtuse about hooliganism? How so? All I said is that I’ve been around UConn fans and never saw any issues. I have read about issues, here, sure. Just saying it’s nit my experience. I only know one UConn alum and he’s as ‘chill’ as can be. So, they aren’t all bad.

As someone who hates UCONN and has zero opinion about the Lakers, think this is an awful outcome. The Lakers look pathetic and desperate. Hurley can now brag to recruits that he is super loyal and turned down a NBA job to build a dynasty. Would have much rather seen Hurley leave for the NBA.

Also this talk about Hurley (or other coaches) “trying” the NBA to come back to college later is probably not how it goes down in reality. These coaches are wired in a way to be super competitive and it spills to ego. If he went to the Lakers, sure he would have believed he could win a NBA championship. Maybe he would have failed and had to go back to college, but doubt it was the grand plan

In any case with him staying at UConn, it’s not important anymore

6/70 tells me the Lakers were not serious about it.
I think the Rick Pitino contract with the Celtics was 10 years 70mm...in 1997.

This is laughable by the Lakers. I think someone mentioned that the ownership is cash flow poor too. This is a group with a very shiny asset and very little cash. Balmer could have offered 10 years 140mm for Hurley and it would be like me buying groceries.

Good for UConn, good for college hoops and good for Hurley. All these things are net/net good for Syracuse. We want a sustainable college hoops product with heel/personality coaches.

This is laughable by the Lakers. I think someone mentioned that the ownership is cash flow poor too. This is a group with a very shiny asset and very little cash. Balmer could have offered 10 years 140mm for Hurley and it would be like me buying groceries.

Good for UConn, good for college hoops and good for Hurley. All these things are net/net good for Syracuse. We want a sustainable college hoops product with heel/personality coaches.
Good for this year anyway - UCONN is going to have to do this dance every post-season. He's eventually making the jump.

I didn’t say or imply that my disdain for hate and booing has anything to do with morals. If anything, it’s a maturity/sophistication thing!

Rutgers… oof. Another thing I don’t get. Kinda feels like they are ‘living rent-free’ in a lot of orange skulls. I don’t see the fun in trash talk. Not a moral matter.

[Don't get me started on wrestling!]
Judgment about maturity/sophistication makes it a morality thing.

I understand that some people boo for fun. And I also see that some do it from a more emotional angle. Either way, no, I don’t do that unless I’m mocking people who do it. Why is that concerning? As if I’m missing out on some profound experience? Nah, I’ve seen it, and don’t need it.

Reminds me of an earlier conversation in another thread. About how I observe people on Arena Cams…. I think it’s interesting to see how the context, culture, etc. affect how people behave. At a basketball game, people go apesh1t—adults and kids. At a formula 1 race, kids get excited. With adults, you kinda get a sense of who they are in life by their reactions. Some show glee, and some just casually wave. Someone here said he was “fortunate” to get on an arena cam—and then went to some length describing the experience. As if it were an accomplishment. Which is great—anyone who can derive pleasure from something, good for them. I just wonder why/how…. What’s the reward? Horses for courses, as they say…. Some people love pro wrasslin and some love The Crown.

Obtuse about hooliganism? How so? All I said is that I’ve been around UConn fans and never saw any issues. I have read about issues, here, sure. Just saying it’s nit my experience. I only know one UConn alum and he’s as ‘chill’ as can be. So, they aren’t all bad.

No fans are all bad and the majority are harmless. UConn fan encounters for me at least have been more unpleasant than any other fan base. Basically ruined going to cbb games for an older family member of mine when a drunk UConn fan threw a full beer can at that members head just barely missing outside the dome. That’s a single example of many ugly encounters over the years but the one with the most wow factor. Either way can’t stand their program or their fans be it fair or not.

Good for this year anyway - UCONN is going to have to do this dance every post-season. He's eventually making the jump.

I agree, but there are better fits for Hurley than an old Lakers team with little cap flexibility.

No, none of this is good for Syracuse. A powerhouse UConn is really bad for regional recruiting. I’m alarmed at how many of our fans are Hurley fan boys. I want him gone so we can close the gap a bit.

No, none of this is good for Syracuse. A powerhouse UConn is really bad for regional recruiting. I’m alarmed at how many of our fans are Hurley fan boys. I want him gone so we can close the gap a bit.
Agreed, I would like him out. Although I'm worried his assistants would do just as well, especially since Murray was credited with remaking the offense. Truth is we never should have let them become a powerhouse, which maybe wouldn't have happened if not for the perfect storm of Cuse's downfall in recruiting and Hurley's uptick and good scheme.

There’s room for more than just UConn being good. We were good before when they were and last I checked Red is doing just fine with HS talent. That said I’m sick of the apologists here myself and can do without the wine and cheese crowd boo police.

There’s room for more than just UConn being good. We were good before when they were and last I checked Red is doing just fine with HS talent. That said I’m sick of the apologists here myself and can do without the wine and cheese crowd boo police.
Agreed there is room for more than one good team in the Northeast but our fans rooting for Hurley to stay because it's "good for college bball" is just insane to me. I strongly dislike that program and wish bad things to happen to them.

Find a way to make the tourney this year and then get everyone’s attention with a monster 2025 class and get things off to the races with the new ruling round schools sharing revenue. Being near the top in hoops revenue maybe the tide can shift for us there…

Agreed there is room for more than one good team in the Northeast but our fans rooting for Hurley to stay because it's "good for college bball" is just insane to me. I strongly dislike that program and wish bad things to happen to them.
This is sounding like RedSox/Yanks pre-2003. My 2c... UCONN has risen so far and Cuse has fallen so far that it doesn't matter whether Hurley is there or not.

UConn will find someone else who can win a title there. It's not clear if Cuse can find someone who can even regularly get the program to stay on the bubble through Feb, much less make the tournament.

I contend that Hurley never intended to take the Laker job. He got an ego boost, a raise in pay from UConn, and a recruiting bonus. It all worked out as planned.
It was a very smart PR move on Hurley’s part making everything so dramatic and front page news at the hapless Laker’s expense.

I meant to post it at some point but I was wondering if Jeannie Buss was just another Marc Davis and had any money or assets outside of their blue chip franchise? Seems like not.

I would personally hate living in LA and never thought he’d jump just was praying the uconn nightmare would end but it’s not going to happen. At least we don’t have to lose to them multiple times a year.

Turning down 70 million for a job, in your field, and by one the top employpers may well signal that you don’t feel up to the task. If he didn’t want to coach in the pros, he never would have spoken with them.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom