Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

I contend that Hurley never intended to take the Laker job. He got an ego boost, a raise in pay from UConn, and a recruiting bonus. It all worked out as planned.
This. I’ll probably tell the CEO of my company over a few drinks at a steakhouse this week that I had a much better job if I wanted it. Wouldn’t tell my direct boss. Recruiter said it was probably mine to lose and I blew them away on the phone call but I backed out of the thing before meeting in person when I knew 100% I would decline if offered. My first instincts were to go the Hurley route and get an offer but I haven’t been in my role long enough to use it for a raise and I don’t really get anything out of saying no to an a list type of company. Different circumstances and sure I’d take the Hurley path I’m not some bastion of corporate morality or loyalty lol.

This is sounding like RedSox/Yanks pre-2003. My 2c... UCONN has risen so far and Cuse has fallen so far that it doesn't matter whether Hurley is there or not.

UConn will find someone else who can win a title there. It's not clear if Cuse can find someone who can even regularly get the program to stay on the bubble through Feb, much less make the tournament.
Good thing the Sox didn’t stop trying, or hating the Yankees.

This is sounding like RedSox/Yanks pre-2003. My 2c... UCONN has risen so far and Cuse has fallen so far that it doesn't matter whether Hurley is there or not.

UConn will find someone else who can win a title there. It's not clear if Cuse can find someone who can even regularly get the program to stay on the bubble through Feb, much less make the tournament.
Oh please just shut up.

Turning down 70 million for a job, in your field, and by one the top employpers may well signal that you don’t feel up to the task. If he didn’t want to coach in the pros, he never would have spoken with them.​

I think the offer wasn't enough per year to get him to move IMO. I don't think he lacks confidence in his abilities. 11m per year multiple years may have done it.

The dude won back to back college titles.
He also showed he could be wooed but just not by the Lakers this time. He’s now set his lowball figure if he does head to the NBA, kept some NBA owners intrigued since he pretended to be interested, plus got more money from UConn and continued to put himself on the front page for UConn and any other NBA franchise who may try to lure him in the future.

Guy from the Hartford Courant was on Isola and Scalabrine today and had a good point - thinks he's too much of a control freak and when he does make the jump it will be a team on a total rebuild so he can create the culture he wants.

I think the offer wasn't enough per year to get him to move IMO. I don't think he lacks confidence in his abilities. 11m per year multiple years may have done it.
I think the money is definitely a factor but his wife has always been adamant about not wanting to leave the northeast. He makes plenty from UConn where they are able to live comfortably so I don’t think money was the biggest factor. I think if it were the Celtics or Knicks (maybe the Nets), he would have left in a heartbeat for the same offer.

Judgment about maturity/sophistication makes it a morality thing.
That’s not “morality.”

And you do understand that those things you described as being “fun” aren’t empirically “fun,” right? They’re just things you enjoy. Characterizing me as the person who needs to do those things in order to ‘lighten up’ is the same kind of “judgement.”

There’s room for more than just UConn being good. We were good before when they were and last I checked Red is doing just fine with HS talent. That said I’m sick of the apologists here myself and can do without the wine and cheese crowd boo police.
IMG_4255.jpeg

my god that program is absurdly, unbelievably fortunate

it's like whatever is the opposite of karma, that's what ucon has and it's beyond nauseating
thinking about this a bit more-
I've always (begrudgingly) conceded that their 99 and 04 'ships are legit. But then beginning with the draw/seed they got in '11 and how the sea parted for them up through this - just unbelievably good fortune (the gamble on Hurley paying off, rescued by the new BE, having somewhat unknown ?? transfers be huge contributors/stars, etc...)

my god that program is absurdly, unbelievably fortunate

it's like whatever is the opposite of karma, that's what ucon has and it's beyond nauseating

Hmm. "Life works in mysterious ways." Perhaps, UConn's unbelievable fortune isn't opposite of karma at all, but Karma indeed working as it's believed intended? Hey all you numerous Syracusefan.com people, you want to spew so much consistent wanton ill-will, etc. their way...well, I'll (Karma) show all you folks just what will be done with all of that ill energy. Enjoy! :)

No, none of this is good for Syracuse. A powerhouse UConn is really bad for regional recruiting. I’m alarmed at how many of our fans are Hurley fan boys. I want him gone so we can close the gap a bit.

You're right, of course. I'm not rooting for him to stay at UConn forever, even though he could.
I just think the Lakers were an epically bad fit for his personality and coaching style.
They had reservations about him, too, because that almost came off like a low-ball offer they made.

I've always (begrudgingly) conceded that their 99 and 04 'ships are legit. But then beginning with the draw/seed they got in '11 and how the sea parted for them up through this - just unbelievably good fortune (the gamble on Hurley paying off, rescued by the new BE, having somewhat unknown ?? transfers be huge contributors/stars, etc...)

They still had to win the games. Sure, write off one, or even two titles as luck.

They still got 4 more besides those.

You're right, of course. I'm not rooting for him to stay at UConn forever, even though he could.
I just think the Lakers were an epically bad fit for his personality and coaching style.
They had reservations about him, too, because that almost came off like a low-ball offer they made.
Do you attribute any of that lowball offer to an arrogance/sense of entitlement on the part of the Lakers? Like, 'Hey, we're the premiere destination. You should leap at the opportunity. You're going to get top 6 money, and you haven't proven anything in the pros yet.'

On that front, it's not an absurd offer. They would have been bidding against themselves, knowing UConn wasn't matching what they were offering. I wonder if there was a counter by Hurley's team that was rejected.

Seems odd to lowball a 'first choice' when your second choice is a podcaster with zero coaching experience. Maybe they do have positive feelers out with Jay Wright?

Also, do you not believe Hurley could adapt? Personality/coaching style? People do mature and evolve—sometimes... Is he that much of a lunatic/"mental defective?"

Had nothing to do with reservations. Their offer was what they can afford.

LOL WUT?????

Hurley - with zero NBA experience or success -
Would have been in the Top 5 highest paid NBA coaches with that deal.

Only Kerr, Pop, Spo, and Monty Williams are higher.

total lowball offer. :rolleyes:

Oh please just shut up.
Happy to… I’ll go back to checking out the recruiting board to see who our mystery euro recruit is going to be because we struck out on plan a/b/c.

I’m a lifelong Cuse fan like everyone else…. But I try to not be delusional about it. This whole time UConn vs Syracuse debate is delusional at this point.

Happy to… I’ll go back to checking out the recruiting board to see who our mystery euro recruit is going to be because we struck out on plan a/b/c.

I’m a lifelong Cuse fan like everyone else…. But I try to not be delusional about it. This whole time UConn vs Syracuse debate is delusional at this point.
It sure doesn’t appear like you’re following recruiting since Red took over if that’s your analysis.

Best luck they had was Calhoun stepping down before they got Boeh... well you know.

LOL WUT?????

Hurley - with zero NBA experience or success -
Would have been in the Top 5 highest paid NBA coaches with that deal.

Only Kerr, Pop, Spo, and Monty Williams are higher.

total lowball offer. :rolleyes:

Hurley would have been 6th, at best. Your source doesn’t include Lue’s extension with the Clippers. He’s going to make around $14 million annually.

The Lakers didn’t offer the new going rate for head coaches (established after Monty Williams went to Detroit), that’s why people are calling it low-ball or unserious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom