Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

Would Hurley actually leave being head honcho at UConn to be LeBron's assistant with the Lakers?
Most college coaches who go to the NBA end up being unhappy over how little control they have over the roster. It's not like college. And will you really be that much happier earning $10M a year vs $5M considering all the additional headaches?

Eric Spoelstras career was just ruined from having to coach Lebron huh?
You know lebron tried to get him fired right? Just like every good coach he has ever played for?

Hes the GM and Coach everywhere he goes and when it doesn’t work he runs off somewhere else. Look at kyrie. He tried to trade him after he won a title. Kyrie found out and got pissed and left. Then Lebron was left without a wingman and dipped from Cleveland for a second time.

if danny hurley was available today and said "im sick of uconn I want to be a head coach elsewhere!"

how many ADs pick up the phone? Every single one?

So if in 4 years the Lakers don't work... I don't think he's got anything to worry about if he wants to coach college again

And UConn would have to offer around 8.5 million to make it equal if it was that price. Connecticut actually has some higher taxes than California. Especially property taxes.
Not to mention there’s the aspect of living near Storrs too. Lots of lovely areas in CT. Storrs would not be high on my list.

Also while it’s a state school, UConn doesn’t enjoy the same level of resident love that traditional flagship schools get in other schools. I’d love to see a breakdown of college allegiances in CT but I doubt UConn dominates because a lot of the wealthier families send kids out of state and to private schools. So the most influential county of the state isn’t the biggest pocket of support.

Not to mention there’s the aspect of living near Storrs too. Lots of lovely areas in CT. Storrs would not be high on my list.

Also while it’s a state school, UConn doesn’t enjoy the same level of resident love that traditional flagship schools get in other schools. I’d love to see a breakdown of college allegiances in CT but I doubt UConn dominates because a lot of the wealthier families send kids out of state and to private schools. So the most influential county of the state isn’t the biggest pocket of support.
Oh I disagree. I live in Ct and the Huskies are almost everyone's team. Even if they didn't go there.

with how unlikable college sports are becoming, I’d prefer a coach at UConn that at least makes me still care about the past rivalry. Some of you are just bitter

Oh I disagree. I live in Ct and the Huskies are almost everyone's team. Even if they didn't go there.
What part of CT are you in? Some of the prior data I’ve seen lists Notre Dame number one.

I didn't factor in the LA part of it -- agree that California is way better in many respects that Storrs. No argument there.

It's more about the college vs. NBA dynamic. He can write his own ticket at the collegiate level. He could stay at uconn for the next 20 years if he wants to, and they'll build statues for him. Or he could stay there and continue to coach at a high level until a blue chip program opens up, if he so chooses.

Or he can go to a declining NBA team like the Lakers and be fired in 5 years, like most NBA coaches are.
I don't think a college job is as great as it used to be. With NIL and the transfer portal (not to mention 1 and dones), college coaches don't have nearly as much power as they used to.

Ok then what happened to “yesterday’s” favorite - JJ Reddick?

Edits:

Shaun Golden went to Georgia, not South Carolina. Looks like he didn't have a big career there:

View attachment 241800

ALSO -- I didn't know this information, but came across this tidbit while doing some quick research on Golden just now:

As for the story Golden tells, it's his own, from his childhood, to becoming one of the best high school basketball players in the country in 1989, playing for his father, the legendary Louie Golden, at Riverside, and alongside the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Bobby Hurley and Kenny Anderson in the McDonald's All-American Game.

The 7-foot-1 O'Neal, of course, became one of the NBA's greatest big men. Hurley, who played at Duke, and Anderson, who played at Georgia Tech, were more in line with the 6-3 Golden, and both went on to the NBA.

"I committed to Syracuse, and my mother cried, and it snowed on my birthday, which is Sept. 14, so I de-committed to Syracuse," Golden said following the program.

He also had an offer from Duke, but Georgia had been his "childhood dream," so after deciding against Syracuse, he opted for Georgia.

Had NO IDEA he had committed here!

Also... snow on September 14th? I'm calling BS on that, even in Syracuse.

Link:
Yup. Total BS. September 14, 1988. High: 73 Low: 49
Syracuse Weather in 1988

We did recruit Hurley. But as Orangefog pointed out, we were more interested in Kenny Anderson, and Hurley was a top priority for Duke, so we weren't in the race down the stretch.

That we ended up with Michael Edwards in that class over either of those options is sickening. Once we lost out on Anderson, I think our choices were basically Edwards or Shawn Golden [who might have ended up at... South Caroliina? Not sure that he even made an impact there].

Really too bad, because we had a loaded team otherwise, EXCEPT for point guard. Can't imagine what Hurley might have done to elevate that team, playing alongside DC, Billy, Stevie, and LeRon.
Good stuff here.

Edits:

Shaun Golden went to Georgia, not South Carolina. Looks like he didn't have a big career there:

View attachment 241800

ALSO -- I didn't know this information, but came across this tidbit while doing some quick research on Golden just now:

As for the story Golden tells, it's his own, from his childhood, to becoming one of the best high school basketball players in the country in 1989, playing for his father, the legendary Louie Golden, at Riverside, and alongside the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Bobby Hurley and Kenny Anderson in the McDonald's All-American Game.

The 7-foot-1 O'Neal, of course, became one of the NBA's greatest big men. Hurley, who played at Duke, and Anderson, who played at Georgia Tech, were more in line with the 6-3 Golden, and both went on to the NBA.

"I committed to Syracuse, and my mother cried, and it snowed on my birthday, which is Sept. 14, so I de-committed to Syracuse," Golden said following the program.

He also had an offer from Duke, but Georgia had been his "childhood dream," so after deciding against Syracuse, he opted for Georgia.

Had NO IDEA he had committed here!

Also... snow on September 14th? I'm calling BS on that, even in Syracuse.

Link:
No chance it snowed mid September. Ha

I can’t understand how people here think the cost of living in LA negates a $80-$100M contract. Do people believe what they’re typing?
I doubt he'd have to pay for much other than the tax on the perks.

The Lakers have had coaches before and none of them made this much, I don't think Hurley will have to wash windows on intersections before games to supplement his income.

I doubt he'd have to pay for much other than the tax on the perks.

The Lakers have had coaches before and none of them made this much, I don't think Hurley will have to wash windows on intersections before games to supplement his income.
Agree. If I'm the Lakers my concern would be the sunshine and general vibe of LA mellowing out a constant screamer like Hurley.

For football maybe. The state of Connecticut is obsessed with UConn basketball.
Well one drives the money….the other is just for pride. The UConn athletic budget situation has always gotten news attention in CT and I doubt there would be support for runaway spending like there is in other states.

Plus Fairfield County is not as diehard UConn territory as the rest of Conn. obviously lots of fans but more split up as less of the alumni base lives there. And a lot of the political money comes from that part of the state.