Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

A couple of them.
Are You Insane GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Well one drives the money….the other is just for pride. The UConn athletic budget situation has always gotten news attention in CT and I doubt there would be support for runaway spending like there is in other states.

Plus Fairfield County is not as diehard UConn territory as the rest of Conn. obviously lots of fans but more split up as less of the alumni base lives there. And a lot of the political money comes from that part of the state.

Fairfield may not be as die hard as the Hartford region, but I see a ton more UConn gear on Metro-North than I have in the past.

Kids may not want to go to UConn, but they grow up with UConn basketball.

Eric Spoelstras career was just ruined from having to coach Lebron huh?
They do what he wants or they're gone. Plenty of examples. Im not sure how much coaching was required with Bosh and wade as his teammates. Spoelstra is a fine coach, though.

Fairfield may not be as die hard as the Hartford region, but I see a ton more UConn gear on Metro-North than I have in the past.

For sure. I’ve also seen a lot more in Fairfield county this year than three years ago. Winning changes everything.

And of course, the women were a draw all over the state.

What stop is yours?

I have not seen much more out of Riverside. But around the area, yes.

This seems like a bad idea all the way around. Hurley could have a heart attack screaming and yelling at officials and players for 82 games. The season is nearly twice as long as the college season. Are NBA players going to put up with his approach? Will he really make that big a difference to the LAL? Why would you leave college where the coaches are the stars? Nobody cares about the coaches in the NBA. In the NBA the players run the asylum. Yeah recruiting in this day and age is tough with NIL/Portal etc. but you can build a support system to handle those chores.

This seems like a bad idea all the way around. Hurley could have a heart attack screaming and yelling at officials and players for 82 games. The season is nearly twice as long as the college season. Are NBA players going to put up with his approach? Will he really make that big a difference to the LAL? Why would you leave college where the coaches are the stars? Nobody cares about the coaches in the NBA. In the NBA the players run the asylum. Yeah recruiting in this day and age is tough with NIL/Portal etc. but you can build a support system to handle those chores.
Money. The challenge. The coming change in college sports where UConn could be and probably will be on the outside looking in. There will always be a great chair for him in college basketball.

100%.

But when you win back to back championships at a place you don’t have a deep history at, a new challenge could be compelling. Add to that the lore of the Lakers.

Hurley himself said winning two in a row wasn’t satisfying. That said I can’t see he and Lebron coexisting.

Valid points for sure but lakers are the cream of the crop all time franchise . La compared to storrs lol and no nil re-recruiting bs in nba

No, put me in Camp Boeheim on this one.

He's a legend in Storrs. It fits his personality.

His act will not play well with pros. He'll be out of a job in 2 years, not last 11 like Billy Donovan did.

An article I read said that if he stays and wins 3 in a row (first since Wooden), it would thrust him into the all-time top 10 NCAA coaches. He's maybe top 25 now, and he is the pre-season number 1, with a great lineup, and a terrific style of play. He could keep this job forever, just like Gino has done.

LeBron James could have him fired by February. That's a no-win situation for a first time coach who does not defer to players like a lot of the best NBA coaches seem to do, really manage the egos.

Hurley is the ego. He still went after a bunch of people in the stands at games this year - despite winning a championship last year, and being a top 5 team, if not #1, pretty much all season.

Give me a break everyone wants to coach at the top of their profession. He gets a chance to coach LeBron. College isn’t going anywhere.

The UConn way is just hiring the right assistants he’ll bring them with him.

I don’t think his antics or sideline behavior helps him but if the Celtics wipe the mavs off the floor the NBA is going to try to make LA a super team pronto.

He's like the current version of Bobby Knight as a coach.

That stuff is not going to fly with LeBron James, and about the top 50 stars in the NBA.

Sadly, I think that the assistants are as important to the machine as Hurley is.

Certainly the guy who designed the new offense last year. He should be the first choice to replace him if he takes the Lakers job.

If you think UCONN, with its $5 mill TV contract in the Big East and no football money behind it, is going to be "top tier," I don't know what to tell you, but it's just not realistic.

Yeah, but where's he going to go and be a good fit in college?

Villanova, maybe? Rutgers? Seton Hall? St. John's? Penn State?

I don't see him at Duke or North Carolina, or any of the more "southern" schools.