Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

Hurley to the Lakers makes a hell of a lot more sense than JJ. I don't get all the JJ love. He's well spoken and did a great job challenging Stephen A on First Take. Great.

A yes man.

But since they won back-to-back championships, the landscape has drastically changed, specifically in the past 3 weeks. And what they have done in the past 2 years, they won't be able to do moving forward. The gap between them and the P5 schools (specifically the Big 10 and SEC) is growing, and they are not going to be able to keep up.

The NCAA he won those 2 championships in does not exist anymore. Especially for a school like UCONN with the TV money (or lack thereof) they have coming in

That's more reason why he has to take this shot.
He has a better chance of winning a third straight NCAA championship than he does lasting one season with LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

if danny hurley was available today and said "im sick of uconn I want to be a head coach elsewhere!"

how many ADs pick up the phone? Every single one?

So if in 4 years the Lakers don't work... I don't think he's got anything to worry about if he wants to coach college again

And Mike Hopkins could come back and have his pick of jobs on the East Coast, right?

Does he really think he’d be any happier or much more financially secure if he coached the Lakers? He’d have to deal with non-pliable, “professional“ basketball players with their own ideas on how things should be done. Schlepping around the NBA for 82 games plus playoffs is no joy. Plus, the games are 20% longer.

Does he believe he can bring the “UConn Way“ to the Lakers? NBA players usually reserve their rah rah, intensity for the playoffs and not so much during the season.

I just think the NBA will eat him up just like it did Pitino.
Who cares? I just want him out of college basketball and gone from UConn. This is nothing but good news.

100%.

But when you win back to back championships at a place you don’t have a deep history at, a new challenge could be compelling. Add to that the lore of the Lakers.

House money and a pre-season number 1 team. It's not like he has a terrible team coming back.

If it's me, I take my shot at history. Better NBA jobs will be available.

Fairfield may not be as die hard as the Hartford region, but I see a ton more UConn gear on Metro-North than I have in the past.

Kids may not want to go to UConn, but they grow up with UConn basketball.
Makes me want to vomit.

Is it definite LeBron is staying in LA?

As for Hurley this is a no brainer. He gets fired in two years his parachute is every AD in America picking him up in a brinks truck.
Also the antics he gets ripped for here have toned down a lot. Everyone doubting him here thought he'd never win at UCONN.
Our jealousy of that program skews our sense. He should sign the Laker deal immediately. He will outlast LBJ in LA so he has a shot.

House money and a pre-season number 1 team. It's not like he has a terrible team coming back.

If it's me, I take my shot at history. Better NBA jobs will be available.
Better than the Lakers? If you asked coaches to list the top jobs in basketball the Lakers HC would be in the top 3. I don't care what the roster looks like right now - it's a historical job. Too many are discounting how revered it is in the profession.

I dont disagree but there is a difference and Mike DeCourcy brought this up on Dusty and Danny today that Uconn right now does not have a bright Fi$cal forecast for their Athletic Department and the way things are moving that could get strained even more
well then we should stop playing basketball too b/c there's a scenario (or 10) where we are left out of the big money making conferences in 10 years.

I think we'll be fine basketball wise and UConn will continue to be super successful (as they have been since about 1988)

Reactions: sam
Is it definite LeBron is staying in LA?

As for Hurley this is a no brainer. He gets fired in two years his parachute is every AD in America picking him up in a brinks truck.
Also the antics he gets ripped for here have toned down a lot. Everyone doubting him here thought he'd never win at UCONN.
Our jealousy of that program skews our sense. He should sign the Laker deal immediately. He will outlast LBJ in LA so he has a shot.
What’s the Lakers path out of purgatory?

What’s the Lakers path out of purgatory?
it's the same as its been since Wilt/Kareem showed up.

There's a neverending cycle of disgruntled stars at smaller markets who want to go to LA. They just need to have enough assets to make the trades work or cap space to sign them. My guess is their path forward will be either Greek Freak or Embid at some point. The texas superstars tend to star down there b/c those teams are good culture fits (and no income taxes). so i'm ruling out Wemby or Doncic

Better than the Lakers? If you asked coaches to list the top jobs in basketball the Lakers HC would be in the top 3. I don't care what the roster looks like right now - it's a historical job. Too many are discounting how revered it is in the profession.
You might want to look at how their last few coaching searches have gone.

And Mike Hopkins could come back and have his pick of jobs on the East Coast, right?
Are you seriously comparing the guy who just won back to back national championships at Storrs with Mike Hopkins? Hurley will absolutely walk back into a college job if and when he leaves the NBA, regardless of how he does there. It’s not even a question.

it's the same as its been since Wilt/Kareem showed up.

There's a neverending cycle of disgruntled stars at smaller markets who want to go to LA. They just need to have enough assets to make the trades work or cap space to sign them. My guess is their path forward will be either Greek Freak or Embid at some point. The texas superstars tend to star down there b/c those teams are good culture fits (and no income taxes). so i'm ruling out Wemby or Doncic
Why would those disgruntled stars choose the Lakers over the Clippers? The Clippers have a better owner, a better front office, a better head coach, and a better arena.

Are you seriously comparing the guy who just won back to back national championships at Storrs with Mike Hopkins? Hurley will absolutely walk back into a college job if and when he leaves the NBA, regardless of how he does there. It’s not even a question.
Some of these takes, smh. Hurley is Billy Donovan. Hopkins is Louis Orr.

Reality check. Mike Hopkins was not good at Washington and he was horrible during JB’s suspension. The first couple of years he lived off connections to the east coast and then his recruiting dropped way off. I’m not saying he can’t coach, but he’s not what everyone expected. I remember Bilas saying the worse Hop would go during the suspension was 7-2. I believe he went 4-5. He’s like a deer in headlights during games. His offensive philosophy was confusing and poorly executed. Good assistant, but not getting another big time coaching job. I don’t think his name came up for any coaching vacancies this past year. I wish him well. His next move may be an NBA assistant.

Why would those disgruntled stars choose the Lakers over the Clippers? The Clippers have a better owner, a better front office, a better head coach, and a better arena.
But they are still the Clippers. Lakers, as much as they have little going for them, are still the Lakers. Mikan, Baylor, West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, Showtime, etc, etc.

I think if you asked just about anyone who will they put money on to win the next title coming out of LA, more than 51% would say the Lakers. And I hate the Lakers. Just like I hate Notre Dame, the Cowboys and Duke basketball.

Get another star. Like they have been doing for the last 50 years?
I fully expected that to be the answer, but more interested in who would go there that would really move the needle and not already on a contending team. I guess Giannis would be the most likely?

That's more reason why he has to take this shot.
He has a better chance of winning a third straight NCAA championship than he does lasting one season with LeBron James and Anthony Davis.
Um this has nothing to do with "winning". That's how fans think.

This has all to do with money and getting away from college basketball altogether which a school like UCONN won't be able to compete in moving forward