Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

well then we should stop playing basketball too b/c there's a scenario (or 10) where we are left out of the big money making conferences in 10 years.

I think we'll be fine basketball wise and UConn will continue to be super successful (as they have been since about 1988)
I dont think we should stop playing bball and that wasnt what Decourcy was implying that Uconn should stop. It was more looking down the road the possibility that it may be more challenging to stay on top as the AD budgets will need to be adjusted. He thinks that may play into some of his thinking.

Six
wow, I did not realize 6. Unfortunately, they have obliterated us in terms of relevance and prominence in cbb. That hurts. In the early years of the Big East, Seton Hall, Providence and UConn were bottom dwellers in the Big East. Those teams were always in the dreaded 8- seed-9-seed opening game of the Big East tourney. How things have changed for the Huskies.

Last edited:
He sees the writing on the wall. 1) The P5 Schools will be splitting away from the NCAA in the near future (leaving a school like UCONN behind). 2) The gap between the HAVES and HAVE-NOTS will widen, and the HAVE-NOTS (like a UCONN) won't be competitive at all in the NIL game. What he built at UCONN isn't sustainable moving forward. He's getting out at the perfect time for him.

I went that angle before and got burnt. It sounds reasonable, and yes the environment is rapidly changing, but I'm just not calling them over ever again.

I think they are a big enough basketball brand that they will probably find a way in this new environment to latch on to something with the power conferences, whether its direct or not.

If he just wants to "coach" the NBA might be the better gig for him. (Not saying that is what he wants, but "if") Yes its many more games. But he also would have less roster management tasks which become bigger under the new environment - these tasks would fall under the GM's office in the NBA.

I still think some rich NCAA programs are going to start going the NBA / pro sport route in terms of managing its programs. They will some experienced names / former coaches and install them into the "GM/Team President" role to have controlling oversight over the basketball or football team. Much more hands on then what an AD does. They will have final say over player moves and they essentially are the boss of the team and the roster . They will then have a coach who they hire to coach the team.

Last edited:
I fully expected that to be the answer, but more interested in who would go there that would really move the needle and not already on a contending team. I guess Giannis would be the most likely?

Donovan Mitchell I think is a possibility. How much he would truly move the needle is up for the debate, he's obviously not in the class of Giannis.

Why would those disgruntled stars choose the Lakers over the Clippers? The Clippers have a better owner, a better front office, a better head coach, and a better arena.

I think the Clippers have definitely closed the gap in a lot of ways, and they've had a lot of stars in the last decade themselves as well. I do think the Lakers will still be the glamour franchise. Also in the more near term, it will be harder for the Clippers to acquire a big star if they end up keeping the guys they have right now.

I dont think we should stop playing bball and that wasnt what Decourcy was implying that Uconn should stop. It was more looking down the road the possibility that it may be more challenging to stay on top as the AD budgets will need to be adjusted. He thinks that may play into some of his thinking.
i think it's BS what Decourcy is saying. Hurley turned down Kentucky. That's the big move to the flagship program. He accepted that he's at the best college hoops program for him. I doubt he'll job jump around college hoops once he turned down the roman empire. I think he'll win big at UConn and can continue to do so. The Lakers gig is a more grander career decision. he can make great money living in Storrs too. the cost of living is much smaller than Manhattan Beach or Hermosa commuting to El Segundo practice facility. These things aren't in a vacuum

i think it's BS what Decourcy is saying. Hurley turned down Kentucky. That's the big move to the flagship program. He accepted that he's at the best college hoops program for him. I doubt he'll job jump around college hoops once he turned down the roman empire. I think he'll win big at UConn and can continue to do so. The Lakers gig is a more grander career decision. he can make great money living in Storrs too. the cost of living is much smaller than Manhattan Beach or Hermosa commuting to El Segundo practice facility. These things aren't in a vacuum
Why live in Solvay when you can live in Storrs.

Is it definite LeBron is staying in LA?

As for Hurley this is a no brainer. He gets fired in two years his parachute is every AD in America picking him up in a brinks truck.
Also the antics he gets ripped for here have toned down a lot. Everyone doubting him here thought he'd never win at UCONN.
Our jealousy of that program skews our sense. He should sign the Laker deal immediately. He will outlast LBJ in LA so he has a shot.
His behavior is better because they are winning all the time. If he stated losing, his behavior would get worse. He picked a fight with the fans at Providence this year. Asked them to come down to the floor.

Because we all love college basketball so much and because this is a college basketball message board, I think we sometimes forget that it's still somewhat of a fringe sport with the exception of March Madness. The NBA is the peak of the profession, regardless of whether you find the regular season boring or not.

Dan Hurley seems like someone who loves the limelight and loves attention, and being in LA, surrounded by celebrities (who actually go to the games on their own, they aren't dragged there by local shredding moguls) and all the incredible fame that comes with leading the Lakers... it's an entirely rational move.

I hope he goes to the Lakers. That will better our chances of getting recruits from the Connecticut/New England area. I believe we would have got Clingan if not for Hurley who is a great recruiter.

Are you seriously comparing the guy who just won back to back national championships at Storrs with Mike Hopkins? Hurley will absolutely walk back into a college job if and when he leaves the NBA, regardless of how he does there. It’s not even a question.

You seem to be forgetting that Hurley is kind of an a-hole.

But they are still the Clippers. Lakers, as much as they have little going for them, are still the Lakers. Mikan, Baylor, West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, Showtime, etc, etc.

I think if you asked just about anyone who will they put money on to win the next title coming out of LA, more than 51% would say the Lakers. And I hate the Lakers. Just like I hate Notre Dame, the Cowboys and Duke basketball.
LBJ chose the Lakers. Then AD. Since then…

Leonard and George chose the Clippers. Westbrook has had a better experience with the Clippers. Harden wanted to play for the Clippers.

The Lakers aren’t getting stars. They’re getting projects and busts. Malik Monk could have stayed with the Lakers and opted for the Kings.

The Clippers get better odds to win the title year after year after year.

Um this has nothing to do with "winning". That's how fans think.

This has all to do with money and getting away from college basketball altogether which a school like UCONN won't be able to compete in moving forward

No, it's also about legacy. He's getting $5M a year right now.
Winning 3 championships in a row is something only 1 other guy in history has done in college.
The Lakers are barely a playoff team next year, and he's likely not to last a full season.

Donovan Mitchell I think is a possibility. How much he would truly move the needle is up for the debate, he's obviously not in the class of Giannis.

I think the Clippers have definitely closed the gap in a lot of ways, and they've had a lot of stars in the last decade themselves as well. I do think the Lakers will still be the glamour franchise. Also in the more near term, it will be harder for the Clippers to acquire a big star if they end up keeping the guys they have right now.
That’s a solid point. Lakers might be in position to take on bigger contracts before the Clippers. The question will be how much they’re willing to spend.

His behavior is better because they are winning all the time. If he stated losing, his behavior would get worse. He picked a fight with the fans at Providence this year. Asked them to come down to the floor.

His behavior wasn't much better last year. He had a couple incidents at the Big East tournament with fans. Just go back and google it.

Because we all love college basketball so much and because this is a college basketball message board, I think we sometimes forget that it's still somewhat of a fringe sport with the exception of March Madness. The NBA is the peak of the profession, regardless of whether you find the regular season boring or not.

Dan Hurley seems like someone who loves the limelight and loves attention, and being in LA, surrounded by celebrities (who actually go to the games on their own, they aren't dragged there by local shredding moguls) and all the incredible fame that comes with leading the Lakers... it's an entirely rational move.

It's the NBA, the pinnacle of the sport. It's the Lakers, one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports. It's Los Angeles, one of the most famous cities in the world. It's Hollywood.

And he'll be paid out the wazoo.

The Merritt Parkway and Mystic Pizza and the express train from Greenwich to Grand Central and tax policy ain't stopping someone from taking the Lakers job if they want to chase the pinnacle of their profession.

And say what you want about LeBron, he's still one of the three best players in the history of mankind to ever pick up a basketball. Yes, he may be old. Yes, he may be a coach killer at times. But if you have the ego for the Lakers HC job, you have the ego to coach LeBron.

You get on the private jet and sign the contract and if you miss NJ, just fly in your favorite guy that makes the breakfast sandwich with the Taylor ham you really like and make the Lakers have your company car be a 1985 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z.

But you take this job 100 times out of a 100 if you want a shot at climbing the mountain.

It's the NBA, the pinnacle of the sport. It's the Lakers, one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports. It's Los Angeles, one of the most famous cities in the world. It's Hollywood.

And he'll be paid out the wazoo.

The Merritt Parkway and Mystic Pizza and the express train from Greenwich to Grand Central and tax policy ain't stopping someone from taking the Lakers job if they want to chase the pinnacle of their profession.

And say what you want about LeBron, he's still one of the three best players in the history of mankind to ever pick up a basketball. Yes, he may be old. Yes, he may be a coach killer at times. But if you have the ego for the Lakers HC job, you have the ego to coach LeBron.

You get on the private jet and sign the contract and if you miss NJ, just fly in your favorite guy that makes the breakfast sandwich with the Taylor ham you really like and make the Lakers have your company car be a 1985 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z.

But you take this job 100 times out of a 100 if you want to a shot at climbing the mountain.

He's already near the top of the mountain. He's never winning 3 titles in a row again anywhere.
You get a chance at history, you grab it.

The NBA will still be there a year from now, and you can get a way better job, with younger players on the upswing, like Cleveland, Oklahoma City, Denver, and have a much better chance of survival.

He's already near the top of the mountain. He's never winning 3 titles in a row again anywhere.
You get a chance at history, you grab it.

The NBA will still be there a year from now, and you can get a way better job, with younger players on the upswing, like Cleveland, Oklahoma City, Denver, and have a much better chance of survival.

College basketball is not the top of the mountain for basketball.

Do not compare Cleveland, OKC or Denver (the latter two aren't firing their coaches and CLE is doing a switch right now) to the Lakers in terms of appeal.

Your post isn't remotely accurate.

1717772182837.gif

Thought it was pretty telling when Hurley said recently that winning back-to-back titles didn't bring him as much contentment as he thought it would. I think he truly likes UConn but sees the writing on the wall that they will likely be left behind in the reshuffling of college sports. And that's before you get into the prestige and money of the Lakers job.

I believe he shot down Kentucky before it really got going. It sounds like he is definitely interested in the Lakers job. I don't think the Lakers are going to let him get away. They have his interest and they will do what they need to do to close the deal.

College basketball is not the top of the mountain for basketball.

Do not compare Cleveland, OKC or Denver (the latter two aren't firing their coaches and CLE is doing a switch right now) to the Lakers in terms of appeal.

Your post isn't remotely accurate.

Tell that to John Wooden.

Not arguing, but Hurley doesnt seem like a CA guy. He drives a pickup truck instead of a Mercedes like most coaches and is proud of it (stated on an inside access with him) and looks more likely to hang out in a gym and film room than hanging out at the beach
To me, how he does with the Lakers is irrelevant. I'd rather have him hanging out 3,000 miles away than at UConn. His record is undeniable. His personality is insufferable.

Last edited:
Lot going on in this thread. My quick/short takes...

- I loathe Dan Hurley. Absolutely can't stand the guy.
- Anything that might hurt the UConn program, sign me up
- Some are forgetting the kind of ego Hurley has, which I see directly impacting his decision to coach one of the most storied teams in NBA history. Not many coaches get that opportunity.
- In terms of having success with the Lakers, I don't know. Can he adjust his temperament because I don't see his current style working in the nba. Maybe he can. Who knows.