Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

No, it's also about legacy. He's getting $5M a year right now.
Winning 3 championships in a row is something only 1 other guy in history has done in college.
The Lakers are barely a playoff team next year, and he's likely not to last a full season.
$14 mill or so a year trumps legacy.

And with what they are paying him he will last a full season, silly to say otherwise, especially that he would get fired in the middle of his first season. This is a huge investment in him they know the situation they are in and will give him time.

You’re joking, right? Wooden retired from coaching half a century ago. Why not ask Phog Allen?
Well done sir. I might be showing my ignorance but I didn't know who Phog Allen was until I just looked him up. In case anyone else is wondering, he's considered the "father of basketball" apparently born back in 1885. Don't ask me anything else as I stopped reading.

You’re joking, right? Wooden retired from coaching half a century ago. Why not ask Phog Allen?

Who do they still talk about? That's the point. Do they talk about the guy who coached the Lakers for a season? Or do they talk about the guy who won 3 natty's in a row?

Remember all these coaches of the glorious Lakers?

Kurt Rambis, Rudy Tomjanovich, Frank Hamblin, Mike Brown, Bernie Bickerstaff, Luke Walton, Mike D'Antoni, Byron Scott, Frank Vogel, Darvin Ham.

I mean, come on, get serious.

Danny Hurley has already earned $15-20M in his career, and he is riding on a hat trick of consecutive national championships. That comes along almost never in anyone's lifetime. Roll the dice.

Reactions: sam
$14 mill or so a year trumps legacy.

And with what they are paying him he will last a full season, silly to say otherwise, especially that he would get fired in the middle of his first season. This is a huge investment in him they know the situation they are in and will give him time.

And let's say he wins another title?
How much is that worth, to be a Hall of Famer, as opposed to a coach who the players choose when he's fired?

Who do they still talk about? That's the point. Do they talk about the guy who coached the Lakers for a season? Or do they talk about the guy who won 3 natty's in a row?

Kurt Rambis, Rudy Tomjanovich, Frank Hamblin, Mike Brown, Bernie Bickerstaff, Luke Walton, Mike D'Antoni, Byron Scott, Frank Vogel, Darvin Ham.

Danny Hurley has already earned $15-20M in his career, and he is riding on a hat trick of consecutive national championships. That comes along almost never in anyone's lifetime. Roll the dice.
But, if he wins there, he is mentioned with Pat Riley and Phil Jackson.

Money. The challenge. The coming change in college sports where UConn could be and probably will be on the outside looking in. There will always be a great chair for him in college

But, if he wins there, he is mentioned with Pat Riley and Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are the only two coaches to last more than 3 seasons for them in the last 48 years.

So, yeah, Danny "Mr. Charisma" Hurley is going to etch his name in the rafters for the Lakers.

Pat Riley? :)

14 mil a year or so for eight years, he would be beyond nuts not to take that.

Edit - forgot about Phil (I know, blessed with talent)

Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are the only two coaches to last more than 3 seasons for them in the last 48 years.

So, yeah, Danny "Mr. Charisma" Hurley is going to etch his name in the rafters for the Lakers.
I don't think anyone would have guessed Pat Riley would be as successful as he was before he was hired by the Lakers, same for Phil Jackson for the Bulls.

Purely looking from the ego side of it - it is a slam dunk no doubt obvious yes.

We all know that’s Hurleys #1 concern

Pat Riley? :)

14 mil a year or so for eight years, he would be beyond nuts not to take that.

Edit - forgot about Phil (I know, blessed with talent)

How much of that will be guaranteed? What will the buy out be?

Edit: my point here is that they would never pay him 7 full years' salary for not coaching. They would buy him out for probably 30-40% of that if he gets canned right away, which is likely.

Beilein's reputation was ruined in the NBA. Several hot college coaches have bombed in the NBA and not come back as conquering heroes for some other college team. I don't recall many. Pitino, of course, but who else comes to mind?

Last edited:
And let's say he wins another title?
How much is that worth, to be a Hall of Famer, as opposed to a coach who the players choose when he's fired?
1) He is already going to the Hall of Fame. 2) You are looking at this whole situation with your heart, not your head.

Hurley is leaving for the money and to escape the hell that is now college sports, especially at a school that has no chance of long-term success beyond the next couple of years.

You can agree to disagree, but he's leaving for a reason, and he sees the handwriting on the wall beyond "just next season" of his future if he stays at UCONN. Have a great weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom