Darius Bazeley game on Now. ESPNU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazeley game on Now. ESPNU

FH hasn't been above avg this year?

Average. I put a lot of stock in Ast/TO ratio. His sucks. It'll be particularly important next year, when SU will have more weapons. FH is not a dynamic player either. Handle is well below average too. He's an improved shooter. Needs to be able to dribble a lot better though.

Thanks for this thread. Couldn't go a full week without anything SUball related. Should have time to watch a replay on ESPN3 Monday night.

Average. I put a lot of stock in Ast/TO ratio. His sucks. It'll be particularly important next year, when SU will have more weapons. FH is not a dynamic player either. Handle is well below average too. He's an improved shooter. Needs to be able to dribble a lot better though.
so your theory is FH either won't be able to or will refuse to pass to these guys?

so your theory is FH either won't be able to or will refuse to pass to these guys?

My issue is muddled within this pushing or not pushing the tempo saga.

I think Frank has been a good scorer and a very much improved player but an average PG at best. The bar has been set very low lately.

I think next year will solve some mysteries. Either Frank will push it more and actually RUN so my opinions of his lack of speed/insufficient handle will be proven false. Or, we will run with Carey handling the ball because Frank will continue to plod and walk the ball up due to said deficiencies. Or we don’t run with either thus having major problems outside of personnel.

I think Frank has been a good scorer and a very much improved player but an average PG at best. The bar has been set very low lately.

I think next year will solve some mysteries. Either Frank will push it more and actually RUN so my opinions of his lack of speed/insufficient handle will be proven false. Or, we will run with Carey handling the ball because Frank will continue to plod and walk the ball up due to said deficiencies. Or we don’t run with either thus having major problems outside of personnel.
what if we go, say, 26-5/14-4 with a plodding, average-at-best point guard? will you continue bemoaning the deficiencies and major problems?

It the 2nd option. Give Carey the ball and have Frank play the 2

what if we go, say, 26-5/14-4 with a plodding, average-at-best point guard? will you continue bemoaning the deficiencies and major problems?

You seem to think the opposite then?

I’ve thought of this as well. If that is the case then A.) He dribbles less and defers to other playmakers. Fine. B.) Worked on his game big time in the offseason to get where it needs to be to be able to push the ball effectively and make sound decisions. Fine. C.) Carey is the wildcard. How ready is he to come in and produce right away? How often will he get the ball. Lots of mouths to feed.

You seem to think the opposite then?

I’ve thought of this as well. If that is the case then A.) He dribbles less and defers to other playmakers. Fine. B.) Worked on his game big time in the offseason to get where it needs to be to be able to push the ball effectively and make sound decisions. Fine. C.) Carey is the wildcard. How ready is he to come in and produce right away? How often will he get the ball. Lots of mouths to feed.
I'm just wondering (and didn't mean to single you out at all) how people will act around here next year if, IF we are successful in terms of wins/losses but still play "ugly" - ala UVA, for example

I'm just wondering (and didn't mean to single you out at all) how people will act around here next year if, IF we are successful in terms of wins/losses but still play "ugly" - ala UVA, for example

A good question. I think we all want to see stylistic improvements in quality of play, fundamentals, etc. But, we’re getting a big talent infusion and if that is what it takes to parlay JB’s offense (more ISO/simplistic stuff) into many more W’s then we will all take it. With the right talent it works until it doesn’t.

If we win more than 10 conference games and advance in the ACC tourney past the first game I don’t think we will be talking as much about style of play. That’s something you question when your losing.

Carey is going to have ball in his hands as much if not more than Frank. Frank will be playing off the ball more which is his natural position. I think that he will really improve by having someone else who can take the pressure off him

I don't think I said that. Unless he improves his handle and cuts down on the turnovers, he won't be better than average next year. If he's playing 35 MPG next year, SU needs him to be much better than that. Even if he's above average, it's hard to be elite without an elite point guard.

I, for one, would be happy we are winning but still scratching my head about the pace. I'll also mention it because it would be really annoying. Basketball is entertainment. Playing plodding, boring basketball isn't fun.

While nobody is confusing Frank with Sherman Douglas, you're wrong to put so much stock in that ratio. Numbers do lie. A ton of his turnovers could easily have been assists if his teammates could convert. Chukwu alone could have flipped 15-20 of those passes to the good side. I also think his handle has improved quite a bit from last year but he still struggles with the smaller quicker guards.
Long story short... don't get stuck just reading stats on a piece of paper. Watch the game.

I, for one, would be happy we are winning but still scratching my head about the pace. I'll also mention it because it would be really annoying. Basketball is entertainment. Playing plodding, boring basketball isn't fun.
We started 25-0 playing plodding and at times ugly basketball. We all feared it would catch up with us and that season in retrospect was a disappointment. Biggest issue with plodding and the slow tempo is that it’s almost impossible to blow the opponent out and run them off the floor. That’s what vintage SU is, and JB in his sunset years - for reasons that have yet to be explained - prefers to drive well below the speed limit while other motorists honk and curse.

Let's see what kind of attitude we play with. Let's see if we put our foot down. Driving 50 MPH in the right hand lane in a 65 MPH zone isn't fun. Also, let's see what the roster looks like in November. The ugly style of play we've been putting out there is a very valid reason for skepticism. To be clear, I can't imagine JB not going all out next season but the rotation will be important. No matter what, we still need above average PG play. Jalen Carey is more of a 2 so... Yeah...

Agreed. We have some fantastic looking pieces coming in next year, but one of the most important determinants in how well the team does will be team chemistry and that is something we really won't know about until the season is actually underway. So while we're right to have high expectations, you just never know how things will play out.

90% of us want to see wins. It's only when we lose repeatedly that style of play becomes a huge negative.

While I would love to roll out the Golden State Warriors on the Carrier Dome floor next season, I'll be happy if we can return to the top of the ACC and spend the second half of the season discussing how high a seed we are going to earn rather than if we will even end up on the bubble.

While nobody is confusing Frank with Sherman Douglas, you're wrong to put so much stock in that ratio. Numbers do lie. A ton of his turnovers could easily have been assists if his teammates could convert. Chukwu alone could have flipped 15-20 of those passes to the good side. I also think his handle has improved quite a bit from last year but he still struggles with the smaller quicker guards.
Long story short... don't get stuck just reading stats on a piece of paper. Watch the game.

You're right, I need to watch us play more.

Frank's handle is not well below average, unless we're using an average for something other than P5 point guards. It's not great; he's too loose with the ball sometimes and it can get a little high, but it gets the job done most of the time. Can he pick a spot on the court and dribble himself there against good defense? Yes, he does this all the time. Is he forced to pick up his dribble early because his handle is getting out of control? Yes, but not nearly as often as I think some would say. Probably a few times per game, which I'd say is average for the ACC play I've seen. Can he beat a guy to the basket off the bounce? I think he does this fairly often.

I'd attribute no more than 25% of his turnovers to poor ballhandling, personally.

Frank's handle is not well below average, unless we're using an average for something other than P5 point guards. It's not great; he's too loose with the ball sometimes and it can get a little high, but it gets the job done most of the time. Can he pick a spot on the court and dribble himself there against good defense? Yes, he does this all the time. Is he forced to pick up his dribble early because his handle is getting out of control? Yes, but not nearly as often as I think some would say. Probably a few times per game, which I'd say is average for the ACC play I've seen. Can he beat a guy to the basket off the bounce? I think he does this fairly often.

I'd attribute no more than 25% of his turnovers to poor ballhandling, personally.

You've typed a lot of qualifiers.

He’s great and will help us tremendously next year. Are you watching him. So skilled!
Two words: Paul Harris.

Projecting ability at next level is tough, especially as incoming frosh.

Does not mean he will not succed but huge grain of salt.

Watching that guy Bazley is a legit stud who has to start and is likely one and done.
He used his physical gifts and didn’t just settle for jumpers.

His game will translate to the NBA and his long arms fit the zone.

He will be perfect zone buster. Put him in the middle and he could pass, drive, or shoot an elbow jumper.

He will be a stud. Better than CJ Fair’s freshman year. Our best freshman since Tyler Ennis.