Darius Bazeley game on Now. ESPNU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazeley game on Now. ESPNU

Two words: Paul Harris.

Projecting ability at next level is tough, especially as incoming frosh.

Does not mean he will not succed but huge grain of salt.
Paul Harris provides strong support for the arguement you are making, but Bazley is a completely different type of player. Paul was just stronger and more athletic than his counterparts in HS, Bazley is tremendously more skilled. Darius isn’t just beating up on overmatched shorter kids, he’s out finessing shorter and faster players.

Think about how much better he is with the ball than most 6’8 college guys now. He has the ability to use both hands, can shoot, dribble and pass like a guard. The only thing that will hold him back next year is strength. Kid should be drinking protein shakes and lifting 4 hours a day. With 20 lbs, he’s a lottery pick for sure. I was most impressed at how good he was around the rim and throwing outlets to guys running the court. He was also tremendously unselfish which was wonderful to see.

Also: Paul was a 6’3 PF, which is fine in HS, not so much in college. His rating should have noted that he would need to work on developing out his game to meet the position his size best suited him towards. All that said, he should have gone to Pitt or played for Buzz at Marquette.

Last edited:
Paul Harris provides strong support for the arguement you are making, but Bazley is a completely different type of player. Paul was just stronger and more athletic than his counterparts in HS, Bazley is tremendously more skilled. Darius isn’t just beating up on overmatched shorter kids, he’s out finessing shorter and faster players.

Think about how much better he is with the ball than most 6’8 college guys now. He has the ability to use both hands, can shoot, dribble and pass like a guard. The only thing that will hold him back next year is strength. Kid should be drinking protein shakes and lifting 4 hours a day. With 20 lbs, he’s a lottery pick for sure. I was most impressed at how good he was around the rim and throwing outlets to guys running the court. He was also tremendously unselfish which was wonderful to see.

Yeah. Harris was a good player(easy to forget he averaged 14 and 9 as a sophomore), but he probably would’ve been a better fit for a school where he could play man to man as his on ball defense was one of his bigger strengths.

Bazley seems more like the prototypical SU fit.

90% of us want to see wins. It's only when we lose repeatedly that style of play becomes a huge negative.

While I would love to roll out the Golden State Warriors on the Carrier Dome floor next season, I'll be happy if we can return to the top of the ACC and spend the second half of the season discussing how high a seed we are going to earn rather than if we will even end up on the bubble.

No doubt, ultimately, it's the wins that matter. So, I'd only disagree with your 90% and would say 99.9999% of us wanting to see wins. People disagree here often on one's intent, and to which degree that individual's true intent may be relentlessly scrutinized, etc., at times, especially by the usual suspects. However, I believe that if you are here, it's because you care and 99.9999% bleed Orange!

We won a bunch of rock fights against Louisville and Georgetown in 2012 and 2013 when we won 30 games and nobody seemed to care then. The 2012 team scored a combined 110 points against the Ville in two wins. 55 against Georgetown in the 2013 BET semis. Amazing what winning will do.

We won a bunch of rock fights against Louisville and Georgetown in 2012 and 2013 when we won 30 games and nobody seemed to care then. The 2012 team scored a combined 110 points against the Ville in two wins. 55 against Georgetown in the 2013 BET semis. Amazing what winning will do.

At that point, we weren't sick of the rock fights. Sure, winning cures all but enough with the rock fights.

Good point.
I will say though the talent on the 2013 should have had a way better offense and that is frustration.
The talent on that team.
MCW, Triche, Fair, Southerland and Keita/Christmas, Grant as the 7th guy.
Why our half court offense was as bad as it was is mind numbing.

Good point.
I will say though the talent on the 2013 should have had a way better offense and that is frustration.
The talent on that team.

Fair point. I’m of the opinion that the 2012 team wasn’t even that great in the halfcourt. We just ran more then with Dion, Scoop and Triche. A lot of that teams offense was created off high ball screens for one of our 3 guards.

I think the 2013 team struggled in the halfcourt because MCW just couldn’t shoot or finish that well. The reason he’s struggling in the NBA came up as a red flag here.

Last edited:

True. I don’t think any of us were expecting a F4 run in 2013 after how they were playing offensively. In fact, I think most of us were very concerned about the offense. The defense got us to the F4. Those offensive performances against Marquette and Indiana in the second halves especially were putrid even in the Ws.

Fair point. I’m of the opinion that the 2012 team wasn’t even that great in the halfcourt. We just ran more then with Dion, Scoop and Triche. A lot of that teams offense was created off high all screens for me of our 3 guards.

I think the 2013 team struggled in the halfcourt because MCW just couldn’t shoot or finish that well. The reason he’s struggling in the NBA game up as a red flag here.

MCW was super frustrating because he could be so dynamically great defensively, passing(court vision wise) and making game changing plays like the Louisville steal and dunk, dominating Indiana, etc. mixed in with a lot of missed shots and jump passes for turnovers.

True. I don’t think any of us were expecting a F4 run in 2013 after how they were playing offensively. In fact, I think most of us were very concerned about the offense. The defense got us to the F4. Those offensive performances against Marquette and Indiana in the second halves were putrid even in the Ws.

We were the second best team in the BE that year. It was nowhere near the same as making the FF as in 2016. We won 14 games in the conference overall and finished 9 in KenPom. We had a top 30 offense and top 10 defense. It’s our fourth best team according to KenPom in the las 16 years behind. 2010, 2012, and 2003.

MCW was super frustrating because he could be so dynamically great defensively, passing(court vision wise) and making game changing plays like the Louisville steal and dunk, dominating Indiana, etc. mixed in with a lot of missed shots and jump passes for turnovers.

He was frustrating at times on offense I recall. Numerous times he would drive into the lane and find himself in trouble. He would then only get himself more into a pickle by jumping in the air (no-man's land) only to then twist his body and head back having to pass it out to somebody to avoid the up & down turnover. More times than not, it ended up in the opponent's hands...good times! ;):)

Fair point. I’m of the opinion that the 2012 team wasn’t even that great in the halfcourt. We just ran more then with Dion, Scoop and Triche. A lot of that teams offense was created off high ball screens for one of our 3 guards.

I think the 2013 team struggled in the halfcourt because MCW just couldn’t shoot or finish that well. The reason he’s struggling in the NBA game up as a red flag here.
Exactly.
MCW in halfcourt was an enigma.
When he was on we were unstoppable see Indiana game.
He was good though at running transition as he rebounded himself and he was a great passer.

Our PG is going to determine how good offensively we are while we run this offense.

We were the second best team in the BE that year. It was nowhere near the same as making the FF as in 2016. We won 14 games in the conference overall and finished 9 in KenPom. We had a top 30 offense and top 10 defense. It’s our fourth best team according to KenPom in the las 16 years behind. 2010, 2012, and 2003.

True. Not pretty but true. So you had them in the F4 then? Or do you pencil them in every year? I had them losing to IU.

True. Not pretty but true. So you had them in the F4 then? Or do you pencil them in every year? I had them losing to IU.

I don’t fill out brackets, but it wasn’t that big of an upset. They were 3 points better than us on a neutral floor.

I know if you plopped the 2013 team into this season we would be favored in every ACC game except at Duke and at Virginia according to the metrics.

I wouldn't say "no one cared." I'd suggest that people are just more reluctant to express dissatisfaction with one aspect of a game when there is a win attached to that game, and moreso when it's in the middle of a string of wins. The priority is context-driven. Winning is the priority, and matters such as 'pace of play' become a part of the 'fabric.'

I just hope Bazley's career will last more than 16 games, as did the career of our last program savior.

As to next year or any other future year, any analysis has to begin with who will actually be on that team and we won't know that until the season starts. Bazley and Brissett would make an incredible pair of forwards but it could be Bazley and Moyer. If Battle leaves, moving Frank to the '2' would be a logical move but what if Battle doesn't leave? It's fun to dream of having all these guys available, just as it's fun to dream of this team having Richardson, Lydon, Thompson and Thorpe. But they aren't here.

Finally getting to watch this game. Really like Bazley obviously. Smooth, versatile, fundamentally sound, unselfish, and tries hard are my impressions. Looks like a kid who can do a lot of things well.

I will be interested to see where most of his touches come from at SU. Hopefully everywhere...and hopefully he adds some strength and we don’t abandon throwing the ball to him in the post. Been a minute since we had a forward who could do damage in there.

Also: Paul was a 6’3 PF, which is fine in HS, not so much in college. His rating should have noted that he would need to work on developing out his game to meet the position his size best suited him towards. All that said, he should have gone to Pitt or played for Buzz at Marquette.

My post was about posters, not players.

People were foaming at the mouth over Harris and openly wondering if our offer to Flynn was just to get Harris.

If you anoint a kid as special before ever takes the court for a collegiate game, I simply take it with a large grain of salt.

Right now I see a kid who is very skilled but rail thin. He will likely have same issues as all incoming freshmen who need to add size and strength.

Lots of really good SU players have struggled as freshmen so I temper my expectations.

That is all.

At that point, we weren't sick of the rock fights. Sure, winning cures all but enough with the rock fights.

Watching some of old games on Classic, I see a coach who has completely transformed himself into a defensive coach.

I will clearly be in the minority here but I am fine with that. Defense, and effort, shows up every night.

Offense is pretty to watch but, unless you have overwhelming offensive talent (02-03, 09-10), give me a team that plays good defense and brings it every night even if the game is a struggle on the offensive end.

I think a team with really good defense and mediocre O has a better chance to succeed in March than a team with good O and mediocre D.

Finally getting to watch this game. Really like Bazley obviously. Smooth, versatile, fundamentally sound, unselfish, and tries hard are my impressions. Looks like a kid who can do a lot of things well.

I will be interested to see where most of his touches come from at SU. Hopefully everywhere...and hopefully he adds some strength and we don’t abandon throwing the ball to him in the post. Been a minute since we had a forward who could do damage in there.

He’s one of those players that make others around him better . The question is will we have enough talent around him to take advanrsge of that ? I know you guys think the incoming class is special , but they are Frosh

Let's see what kind of attitude we play with. Let's see if we put our foot down. Driving 50 MPH in the right hand lane in a 65 MPH zone isn't fun. Also, let's see what the roster looks like in November. The ugly style of play we've been putting out there is a very valid reason for skepticism. To be clear, I can't imagine JB not going all out next season but the rotation will be important. No matter what, we still need above average PG play. Jalen Carey is more of a 2 so... Yeah...
Frank’s turnovers will go down next year and his assists will rise because he’ll have more very good options to pass the ball to—Bazeley, Carey, a sophomore (and much improved) Brissett, and Hughes. Even Chukwu and Sidibe should be able to give us more offense with another year of off season learning under their belts.

Good point.
The talent on that team.
Because we only had one knock down shooter in Southy. That hurt the 2012-13 team offensively more than people know. We couldn’t get the spacing we needed. Triche was supposed to be the other one, but his 3-point percentage actually dropped his senior year instead of going up. He had all the tools, IMO, to be a +40% 3-pt shooter. Next year we’ll have Howard, Carey, and Hughes as good shooters, and hopefully Brissett improves his numbers too (I think he will).