DB Chase Atkinson transferring to Coastal Carolina | Syracusefan.com

DB Chase Atkinson transferring to Coastal Carolina

images

Why?

He hasn't played in two years.

Liked him coming out of high school but not sure this is a huge loss. I'm sure we will be fine.

Perhaps it's really no loss at all, I don't know.

But if we're going to be a development school, we can't keep saying all losses are no big deal because they didn't play their first 2 years.

Perhaps it's really no loss at all, I don't know.

But if we're going to be a development school, we can't keep saying all losses are no big deal because they didn't play their first 2 years.
Not everyone develops. IMO when you're playing the development game, there will be a higher percentage of kids who've tapped out and you can't get more from, no matter who is coaching them. And you won't know that for a couple years.

My initial reaction is why, as it seems we have some opportunity for him. But in looking at OX's pinned post it makes sense. Certainly wish we had more CB types next year with experience in the system. But losing Atkinson is not too big of a deal for us really.

Defensive Backs
Eric Coley DB 6'2 200 R-Sr.
Jason Simmons DB 6'0 195 Jr.
Garrett Williams DB 6'0 190 R-So.
Ja'Had Carter DB 6'2 200 So.
Neil Nunn DB 6'0 190 R-So.
Rob Hanna DB 6'0 170 So.
Duce Chestnut DB 6'0 195 So.
Justin Barron DB 6'4 215 So.
Aman Greenwood DB 5'10 185 R-So.
Malcolm Folk DB 6'1 200 R-Fr.
Cornell Perry DB 6'1 175 Fr.
Jeremiah Wilson DB 5'11 173 Fr.
Quan Peterson DB 6'1 174 Fr.
Dom Foster DB 6'2 175 Fr.

Just remember, signing day is tomorrow and some of these cats know whose coming in and who isn’t
Yeah I have to think some of this is based on conversations about their future with the staff.

Some we've probably lost because they aren't going to play football again (Shear for example), some because they're getting recruited over, and some are definitely guys the staff would have liked back. Will be interesting to see how things shake out after tomorrow to see where are gaps still are 2 deep wise.

Not everyone develops. IMO when you're playing the development game, there will be a higher percentage of kids who've tapped out and you can't get more from, no matter who is coaching them. And you won't know that for a couple years.

I agree, it's just that none of us really know.

I'm sure the coaches know which transfers they wish didn't happen, and which ones they really don't care about (and maybe even encouraged). I hope this one is the latter.

I agree, it's just that none of us really know.

I'm sure the coaches know which transfers they wish didn't happen, and which ones they really don't care about (and maybe even encouraged). I hope this one is the latter.
I think it's going to be difficult to find 15 more scholarship players who will be able to contribute next year & the optics certainly look horrible with Syracuse leading the transfer portal cup with a coach that has 5 losing seasons in 6 years

I think it's going to be difficult to find 15 more scholarship players who will be able to contribute next year & the optics certainly look horrible with Syracuse leading the transfer portal cup with a coach that has 5 losing seasons in 6 years

I won’t disagree with you here on the optics that’s for sure

Why?

He hasn't played in two years.

Liked him coming out of high school but not sure this is a huge loss. I'm sure we will be fine.
This is the position we see the most injuries/players playing hurt at besides the OL. We’re not recruiting well enough to keep up with the turnover in experience, even if just 1-2 years of non contributive. Atkinson was a prospect the staff was excited about.

I'd love to be able to keep everyone until their eligibility is expired, but the reality of the portal is that guys who don't see meaningful playing time in their future are going to transfer.

It doesn’t look great optically, but of the 17 scholarship players that entered the portal, probably about half would have been contributors with Taj the only likely starter. Sharod did start this year but he left a lot to be desired. Most of the defensive players were chronically injured.

If we get 6-8 out of the portal that are DL/OL heavy and a couple of skill positions, we’re probably ahead on the trade.

Not as much with Syracuse ( I am not sure) but don't think for a second that a lot of these kids aren't being pushed to the portal by the coaches of their current teams. Two way street

It doesn’t look great optically, but of the 17 scholarship players that entered the portal, probably about half would have been contributors with Taj the only likely starter. Sharod did start this year but he left a lot to be desired. Most of the defensive players were chronically injured.

If we get 6-8 out of the portal that are DL/OL heavy and a couple of skill positions, we’re probably ahead on the trade.
Maybe we could start with--one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom