DB Chase Atkinson transferring to Coastal Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DB Chase Atkinson transferring to Coastal Carolina

Perhaps it's really no loss at all, I don't know.

But if we're going to be a development school, we can't keep saying all losses are no big deal because they didn't play their first 2 years.
With the portal, will a development school exist ?

With the portal, will a development school exist ?

With the rules right now, probably not.

Going to be pretty hard to define the roadmap for Syracuse football going forward.

I feel like our best bet is to be the one with the most open spots when the transfer portal music stops for everyone else.

It will be like the hoops team, a completely reconstructed team each year (without the cranky coach telling everyone how bad they are at defense).

Going to be pretty hard to define the roadmap for Syracuse football going forward.

I feel like our best bet is to be the one with the most open spots when the transfer portal music stops for everyone else.

It will be like the hoops team, a completely reconstructed team each year (without the cranky coach telling everyone how bad they are at defense).

How many guys has Wake lost to the portal? not sure

Just remember, signing day is tomorrow and some of these cats know whose coming in and who isnt
Lets hope we land some big Cats tomorrow.

The best player plays regardless of class...so to upperclassmen who haven't really seen the field the portal is a good option for a fresh start...

My question is, is Syracuse actually a development school in football? I know fans think Syracuse is, but I don't know that Syracuse is.

It seems the freshman and redshirt freshman that play are the guys that stay playing and get better (more recruiting than development, IMO). Not sure we have had many players pop up as even sophomores or juniors who are ready for a role in the Babers era, more of instant impact types who jump guys or a guy like S. Johnson starting because of reasons (think the last true one was Custis, which jumped from non-contributor to All ACC, which is a huge leap).

You normally see that development occur on the OL, but with such a banged up line, it was freshman playing (not preferred). When a tackle got hurt, it was shifting a guard outside. Defense, tended to be young guys stepping in.

I still think Dino recruits better than people think, but hasn't developed as strongly.

There has to be a serious roster management issue going on if we are seeing this kind of turnover when everyone else operates under the same scholarship limits.

We can keep saying "oh they were recruited over, or oh they didn't develop, no big loss" but why don't we see the real big boys who actually recruit over and actually develop having the same or worse portal problems?

Something isn't right here.

There has to be a serious roster management issue going on if we are seeing this kind of turnover when everyone else operates under the same scholarship limits.

We can keep saying "oh they were recruited over, or oh they didn't develop, no big loss" but why don't we see the real big boys who actually recruit over and actually develop having the same or worse portal problems?

Something isn't right here.

If players are going to be backups on a bad team then they would rather transfer to another bad or decent team where they can start or drop down a level and start.

I think all these Cuse transfers are mostly about playing time and not wanting to be on the bench for a team that isn't very good.

If players are going to be backups on a bad team then they would rather transfer to another bad or decent team where they can start or drop down a level and start.

I think all these Cuse transfers are mostly about playing time and not wanting to be on the bench for a team that isn't very good.

If that was the case shouldn't schools with a worse record than us have more players in the portal? We finished 5-7 which while bad is definitely not the worst.

What makes us #1 in portal players?

If that was the case shouldn't schools with a worse record than us have more players in the portal? We finished 5-7 which while bad is definitely not the worst.

What makes us #1 in portal players?
To add to it, those other schools don't have a coach that can potentially be fired. Most of the guys leaving are depth guys that want to play more. They also dont want to be in a situation where they will have to prove to another coaching staff. Duke and Indiana are other schools that were in similar situations with their coach. Thats why those schools are leading the pack.

To add to it, those other schools don't have a coach that can potentially be fired. Most of the guys leaving are depth guys that want to play more. They also dont want to be in a situation where they will have to prove to another coaching staff. Duke and Indiana are other schools that were in similar situations with their coach. Thats why those schools are leading the pack.
Then why transfer now?

Why not hand pick the school and situation that gives you the best chance to get on the field? They get a free transfer. They wont have the same relationships with the staff after Dino.
Why not save the one-time transfer if the staff actually gets let go? Let's say you're unhappy at your next school-Now you have to wait a year.

Why not save the one-time transfer if the staff actually gets let go? Let's say you're unhappy at your next school-Now you have to wait a year.
I don’t know what these kids are thinking. Lol. Maybe they want to be established in a program with multiple years of eligibility left. I’m not trying to guess what every kid is thinking. They all have different situations.

My initial reaction is why, as it seems we have some opportunity for him. But in looking at OX's pinned post it makes sense. Certainly wish we had more CB types next year with experience in the system. But losing Atkinson is not too big of a deal for us really.

Defensive Backs
Eric Coley DB 6'2 200 R-Sr.
Jason Simmons DB 6'0 195 Jr.
Garrett Williams DB 6'0 190 R-So.
Ja'Had Carter DB 6'2 200 So.
Neil Nunn DB 6'0 190 R-So.
Rob Hanna DB 6'0 170 So.
Duce Chestnut DB 6'0 195 So.
Justin Barron DB 6'4 215 So.
Aman Greenwood DB 5'10 185 R-So.
Malcolm Folk DB 6'1 200 R-Fr.
Cornell Perry DB 6'1 175 Fr.
Jeremiah Wilson DB 5'11 173 Fr.
Quan Peterson DB 6'1 174 Fr.
Dom Foster DB 6'2 175 Fr.
Rob Hanna is gone and maybe Garrett, if he opts to try draft or free agency. Coley might be gone too since his Dad was fired.

If schools have worse records than us, then wouldn't it stand to reason that their coaching staffs are also less than secure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom