DB Chase Atkinson transferring to Coastal Carolina | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DB Chase Atkinson transferring to Coastal Carolina

IDK. Are those schools coaches considered to be on the hot seat? Are they all on year 7 with only one winning season?
I get it. So. Either all of the outgoing players (and, to date, no incoming transfers) are leaving here in disproportionately higher numbers than players at schools with even worse W-L records because of the lame duck status of the HC, or...there's something else at work.

If they're mostly leaving a program that desperately needs players to save the coaches' hides b/c they want more playing time, then that's an indictment of the evaluations that were made by the coaching staff when they recruited these guys. Only 'faith without evidence' would lead one to believe that their evaluations would improve now.

Which, I admit, is one of the reasons why I believe that HCDB should have been fired after this season.

Man, we're at best in football purgatory.

I get it. So. Either all of the outgoing players (and, to date, no incoming transfers) are leaving here in disproportionately higher numbers than players at schools with even worse W-L records because of the lame duck status of the HC, or...there's something else at work.

If they're mostly leaving a program that desperately needs players to save the coaches' hides b/c they want more playing time, then that's an indictment of the evaluations that were made by the coaching staff when they recruited these guys. Only 'faith without evidence' would lead one to believe that their evaluations would improve now.

Which, I admit, is one of the reasons why I believe that HCDB should have been fired after this season.

Yeah SU is not a good football team.

Yeah SU is not a good football team.
If anything what was so maddening this year is that this actually was a good football team but game time decisions were the difference to definitely a 6 win season and potentially an 8 win season. Florida state, wake and clemson were so frustrating to watch because you knew we were the better team (that day). It was inexcusable to still be doing a qb competition during the rutgers game and not allowing either of them to get into a rhythm. We were better then our record. Don’t evaluate the last 3 games alone.

If anything what was so maddening this year is that this actually was a good football team but game time decisions were the difference to definitely a 6 win season and potentially an 8 win season. Florida state, wake and clemson were so frustrating to watch because you knew we were the better team (that day). It was inexcusable to still be doing a qb competition during the rutgers game and not allowing either of them to get into a rhythm. We were better then our record. Don’t evaluate the last 3 games alone.
I have a different perspective on that though. We had a chance to win those games because of the work done by Dino and the staff. I have to give them credit for putting them in position to beat teams that were favored to win but also recognize that in game decisions caused them to lose some of those too. Keep in mind that a lot of people picked SU to win 4 or 5 games.

Last edited:
I have a different persepctive on that though. We had a chance to win those games because of the work done by Dino and the staff. I have to give them credit for putting them in position to beat teams that were favored to win but also recognize that in game decisions caused them to lose some of those too. Keep in mind that a lot of people picked SU to win 4 or 5 games.
That’s the point I was trying to make , he had the right recipe but those decisions (not all fully on the head coach , but mostly if we are being honest. It’s his job to have many of those things figured out ) derailed what could very have well been a winning season. We were much closer then many give credit..

That’s the point I was trying to make , he had the right recipe but those decisions and not all fully on the head coach derailed what could very have well been a winning season. We were much closer then many give credit..
agree

Without going in depth at other schools, players typically leave for opportunity, especially if younger talent is ahead of them.

I personally think people make too big of a deal on most of the players leaving. The guys that hurt were: Taj left due to offensive system change and was a huge loss. Morris shows a bit of a disconnect with TE recruiting and how he was sold (evidence of a problem), but the staff did ID him and his inclusion in the portal with no game film shows how many programs missed on him the first time. Cole is a grad transfer behind two guys younger than him. Tommy needed a change of scenery. Cantin-Arku doesn't see anyone graduating at LB and doesn't think he will get to start. Taj is the only one leaving that we know was a huge W/L problem to the current team, and there was a portion of the fan base happy to see him leave.

Jarveon, whom I liked, committed to Alcorn State. Harper got passed by a freshman Lockett. Lutz is a back-up at best with some value on special teams. Benson was the most overrated offensive player on this board. Get concerned when players transfer to peer programs. Guys the board were lamenting last year, Nykeim Johnson and Aaron Hackett. Nykeim was 3rd on his team w/ catches (could have helped, more due to the issues at WR here) and Hackett had 5 catches (use the TE in the passing game!).

Staff didn't develop some depth recruits (cruz of the issue of Babers era, it's development, not recruiting), but that is the point of the portal. Depth players at P5 programs can decide if they want to stay depth players or try and transfer somewhere they can be featured. Players need to keep this power, to have control over their ability to play a game for a limited amount of time (not to you, but seeing a lot of talk on this board about how they need the NCAA to rescue players from themselves).

Bottom line is, Dino has to win next year. Would argue the guys in paragraph 2 are the only ones that transferred that may have had an impact.

Legitimately concerned Syracuse is mortgaging the future a bit to try and win next year (HS recruiting this year and into next year, though I do believe the talent in this class is better than people think), but the portal will have another year and, one lesson I take from this year, you can find a starting QB in the portal with a new hire.

Just as those 3 close losses were tough to take, VA. Tech and Liberty wins could easily have been losses. You just can't count the near wins without counting the near losses. SYR was 2-4 in close games (counting Rutgers as close loss). Good teams come out with a winning record in close games.

Just as those 3 close losses were tough to take, VA. Tech and Liberty wins could easily have been losses. You just can't count the near wins without counting the near losses. SYR was 2-4 in close games (counting Rutgers as close loss). Good teams come out with a winning record in close games.

Hell, all we needed was to go 3-3 instead of 2-4, and everybody’s outlook on this last season is dramatically improved.

It’s really remarkable how all 6 of those games effectively were decided on a single pivotal play.

Bad teams don’t play in any close games.

Sometimes good teams lose close games because of unlucky bounces.

Truth is we’re mediocre and we did what mediocre teams do. The thing that drives me batty is one more win and the perception changes almost 180.

It’s a weird sport.

Please supply the stats to back this statement up. Otherwise it’s just your personal feeling which I know you hate when others don’t support their argument with facts.

Sometimes good teams lose close games because of unlucky bounces.

Truth is we’re mediocre and we did what mediocre teams do. The thing that drives me batty is one more win and the perception changes almost 180.

It’s a weird sport.

The Detroit Lions are pretty bad.

D752F011-157C-44C5-BCCB-AB39FEAE92C5.jpeg

Why does the Taj thread, a guy who has a lot of Orange history and now plays for a regional (if not conference) “rival” get shut down so quickly while this one remains open? I know the response will be to shut this too but why can’t we leave these threads for former players open at least for a little while? Some people like to track and talk about Former Orange?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom