Class of 2025 - DB Marcus Upton (NJ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/23/24) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 DB Marcus Upton (NJ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/23/24)

I see 6’-1” on most services everywhere except 247 says 6’-0”.

Love this pick up. I think he ends up being a stud safety.

I really like his film. Good speed. Great body control. Even has a little bit of the Andre Cisco ballhawk to his game. Very solid regional offer sheet between BC, Pitt, WVA and NC State.

Agree about safety. His film on defense has him playing free safety. But he is going to be big enough to play other safety positions as well. Might also be fast enough to play CB. Fits the mold for Coach Brown secondary guys that can play both.

I think he has a good chance of playing in the NFL. Covers a ton of ground and tackles really well.

Last edited:
Old Man Good Job GIF

Agree about safety. His film on defense has him playing free safety. But he is going to be big enough to play other safety positions as well. Might also be fast enough to play CB. Fits the mold for Coach Brown secondary guys that can play both.

I think he has a good chance of playing in the NFL. Covers a ton of ground and tackles really well.
Is this guy really good? Really? I trust this staff, so I guess I should be excited...

Time will tell but I just don’t see why we take a commitment from either of the db’s w zero rankings and limited offers. This feels like we know we’ve missed out on big boys and now are going to hope and pray.

I wish they would wait. Go 10-2 this year and change the perception of Syracuse and you get more high end Top 400 prospects

Time will tell but I just don’t see why we take a commitment from either of the db’s w zero rankings and limited offers. This feels like we know we’ve missed out on big boys and now are going to hope and pray.

I wish they would wait. Go 10-2 this year and change the perception of Syracuse and you get more high end Top 400 prospects
Ok so the number one recruiter in the country who happens to have played DB and coached Dbs at the highest level of college sports and is our head coach offers the kid and you are doubting him. Not a great take

Good enough to get multiple D1 offers, including from the number 1 recruiter in the nation whose specialty is defensive backs.
If kids are getting offers this early in the process it’s a safe bet that they project as 4 star+ recruits or will have tremendous upside/hidden gems the staff sees as having high potential.

We’ll also start to see if we have the “Fran” effect where kids start to get rated higher because Fran gave them an offer.

I think this is more of the stage of us building the foundation of the 25 class. The studs will come. These are players we would’ve been over the moon for with Dino. Now, we quickly are getting stingy and wanting to only see the 4 stars next to their names. Gotta trust Fran and DBs he likes. He has recruited the best of the best, he surely knows talent when he sees it. Also, watch these guys ratings through senior year. They all seem to be guys with solid, solid offers. Let’s give Fran time with 2025 class. There’s still big fish that we’re gonna fry. It’ll all come together.

Agreed, I am a little confused at this recruitment even though it's handled by the

#1 Recruiter in the country

#1 DB coach in the country

#1 Most connected coach in the Jersey area

#1 Rated Cuse recruiting cycle in 30 years (done in 3 months, following 2 decades of misery to recruit against)

Wait, no I must have blacked out... whatever this crew decides relative to recruiting is innocent until proven guilty with me. This is not the legacy Cuse narrative of talking up raw prospects that rarely pan out that we are used to.

Agreed, I am a little confused at this recruitment even though it's handled by the

#1 Recruiter in the country

#1 DB coach in the country

#1 Most connected coach in the Jersey area

#1 Rated Cuse recruiting cycle in 30 years (done in 3 months, following 2 decades of misery to recruit against)

Wait, no I must have blacked out... whatever this crew decides relative to recruiting is innocent until proven guilty with me. This is not the legacy Cuse narrative of talking up raw prospects that rarely pan out that we are used to.
Flip side is that Dino consistently found good QBs and then when the big boys came it was adios. Same thing could happen here except Cuse is not losing these guys.

Did you like what Fran and Co did with the 2024 class? If so, be patient and let them do their jobs.

This isn’t Dino taking obscure JUCOs in May following signing day.

Feels like we missed out on big boys?!? Really? It is so early and we are getting plenty of big boys to visit and love us. And how in The world do you get the feeling we are missing out on anyone? I feel like everyone loves us right now.

Just trust the staff knows talent and doesn’t need to worry about how other have evaluated them or even if other teams know about them. They trust their evaluations. It’s early and if they accept a commit you can assume they have high upside.

Fran wants to build depth. You do that by developing players who can help down the road. You will have guys leave if they all want to start. I’m sure he knows what he’s doing. Fran has a plan for everything. Getting a couple of New York kids sends a great message to HS coaches.

Flip side is that Dino consistently found good QBs and then when the big boys came it was adios. Same thing could happen here except Cuse is not losing these guys.
Absolutely. Dino and staff identified and offered a ridiculous amount of qb's last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom