defend the 3 | Syracusefan.com

defend the 3

should be the defensive gameplan for every game. give up all the open foul line and baseline jumpers u want. id rather give up layups than open 3s. but boeheim will never change even though the game has.

UVA shooting the lights out. Great ball movement. Surgical second half. Crazy.

should be the defensive gameplan for every game. give up all the open foul line and baseline jumpers u want. id rather give up layups than open 3s. but boeheim will never change even though the game has.
That is normally the game plan and we are normally a good 3 point shooting defense team. This year we have had such issues giving up points on the interior I think there has been a strategy of letting certain teams shoot, especially certain players on teams. Last night the game plan was to run Guy and Jerome off the 3 point line and we did a terrible job of that the whole game.

Good ball movement will result in open three pointers eventually. UVA understood that and executed to perfection, but regardless they were even knocking down contested threes so no one was going to stop them. We haven't seen a team that good at ball movement, wore us down.

That is normally the game plan and we are normally a good 3 point shooting defense team. This year we have had such issues giving up points on the interior I think there has been a strategy of letting certain teams shoot, especially certain players on teams. Last night the game plan was to run Guy and Jerome off the 3 point line and we did a terrible job of that the whole game.
I agree with your point up to "we did a terrible job of that the whole game". First I will admit they got some open threes at the line but many times they were hitting threes from 5 to 8 feet behind the line. I ask where do we stop running them off the imaginary line? It was a combination of one of the hottest shooting displays I have ever seen by three different players and our offense starting out at best weak and going down hill. Think of it...18 for 25 with three guys making all 18 on only 23 shots. As said before, forget this game. There is nothing constructive to build on here. When Battle does not score, we do not win.

And Duke torched UVA's vaunted man-to-man with 3 pointers. Sometimes it just happens.

The game has changed. Shooting the ball is so popular and common, that the college player of today is simply better then the college player of 20 years ago beyond the arc. Therefore, the zone can be questioned these days against certain teams. If in my job a certain strategy was not working for a certain project, I would have to change the strategy to make it work. I love the zone, but sometimes the same strategy just will not work for all teams. But JB keeps trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I am not blaming JB. I am just stating, the zone is sometimes just not right for the matchup.

Good ball movement will result in open three pointers eventually. UVA understood that and executed to perfection, but regardless they were even knocking down contested threes so no one was going to stop them. We haven't seen a team that good at ball movement, wore us down.
Pressure the ball fullcourt, giving them 20 seconds to probe instead of 30.

Extend the guards and wings and then tell the Center to get a hand in the face of the foul line player but allow mid-range jumpers so they can keep a drop distance taking away the high low.

If teams mid-range 2 point shot us to death, whatever. This defense takes away high percentage threes and layups.

The zone we play can still be effective, but the way we play it is becoming a nightmarish joke against certain teams.

Last edited:
I don't know what game people were watching last night if they think that SU defended the three well and UVA just got lucky. Boeheim certainly didn't think those were contested 3s. UVA moves the ball extremely well to get open shooters. There were plenty of times where the contested part was an SU defender two steps away half-heartedly raising a hand. That's not contested.

More than 2/3s of those shots were plenty wide open enough for UVA who, as a team, shoots 40%+ from 3.. UVA ranks 4th in the country in 3%. SU ranks 292nd. Good shooters will crush those shots. And last night they were good and lucky.

A bunch of those shots were well beyond NBA range, with some of them 26-28 feet out. When guys are making a huge % of those, there is no defense for it. I know they normally shoot the three well but that was ridiculous shooting. We will do the same thing at times next year with Joe Girard and Buddy on the court together. Other guys are going to have a ton of room to maneuver.

I could only watch a few minutes of the game due to being at work but from what I saw, UVa was hitting some very contested 3's and some very very deep 3's. I would never ask our players to guard them as far out as they were hitting them. I was quite thankful to have to go to my meeting, although watching UVa hit all those shots was amazing.

That being said, I watched our guys miss some pretty easy shots. Sure some were contested, but they were all very makable shots, we just didn't hit them to keep it close.

A bunch of those shots were well beyond NBA range, with some of them 26-28 feet out. When guys are making a huge % of those, there is no defense for it. I know they normally shoot the three well but that was ridiculous shooting. We will do the same thing at times next year with Joe Girard and Buddy on the court together. Other guys are going to have a ton of room to maneuver.

Let's say Buddy is hitting from deep - just catch and shoot. 26 footers - he has that range.

Can you think of a way to stop him, or disrupt his rhythm for a little bit?

Maybe make him put the ball on the floor, or shoot in some way other than stand and release? I get what you're saying, but saying there is no defense for it isn't really fair.

I'm really looking forward to those moments we do the "same" thing, not to mention more than once with your "at times" reference. Next year can't get here soon enough! How great would it be if this is done against the likes of UVA, UNC or Duke vs. Incarnate Word or the like. ;)

Pressure the ball fullcourt, giving them 20 seconds to probe instead of 30.

Extend the guards and wings and then tell the Center to get a hand in the face of the foul line player but allow mid-range jumpers so they can keep a drop distance taking away the high low.

If teams mid-range 2 point shot us to death, whatever. This defense takes away high percentage threes and layups.

The zone we play can still be effective, but the way we play it is becoming a nightmarish joke against certain teams.
I think he wanted to pressure but couldn't get it set because we went so long without scoring. I do think we could change our traps out of the half court zone more if for no other reason than to break flow for at least one or two possessions.

1. a few of them were contested - especially after the game got blown open in the second half...but only a few were actually truly contested and also made.

2. FORCE Guy and Jerome to drive by getting up in their grills even 30 feet out and they might score a 2 pointer - but they didn't PROVE that they could do that in the game. MAKE THEM prove it. UVA eas 2-10 from 2 in first half - FORCE THEM to shoot 2s.

3. In zone you are guarding an area not a player - in Man - you can get right up on the player IN HIS FACE...which is what battle and howard etc shouldve been doin, imo. Hunter wasnt hitting from deep he only took wide open 3s right on the line - dont leave him either. UVA only had 3 players who could score - MAKE THE OTHER PLAYERS beat you - DO NOT ROTATE away from their big 3 - let the centers guard the rim...

the zone is cool because it can be tweaked in real-time - but it really doesn't do anything as far as taking away 3s or deep threes especially...you are guarding an area not a player - UVA needs to be guarded by guarding their 2-3 players who do all of their scoring.

if that plan is followed - and the bench players of UVA beat you - then fine...but they aint going 18-25 like the big 3 did...no way. you might still lose and the bench uva players might still burn you - but why not see if they can???

Last edited:

There absolutely is a defense for shots taken 26-28 feet out. There’s a reason is always happens to us. Vermont ring a bell?The zone is built to dare them to take that shot and now more players can make that shot

I think at least half of their made 3pt shots were very tough, contested shots (a few were insane). I actually thought the defense wasn't bad. There was good movement and coverage in most cases. UVA just had a historic shooting performance, unfortunately.

There absolutely is a defense for shots taken 26-28 feet out. There’s a reason is always happens to us. Vermont ring a bell?The zone is built to dare them to take that shot and now more players can make that shot
We lost the vermont game because our team tried to sleepwalk to a win. It wasn't a man v zone issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom