Defense needs more speed | Syracusefan.com

Defense needs more speed

Alsacs

Living Legend
This D has been a lot better this year overall.
I think the four 4 have had a lot to do with that improvement and veteran LBs had been good till the Wake game.

The secondary is the problem.
We need the back 4 to be a lot better.

Hopefully the kid from Massachusetts who is redshirting and Cordy next year help there.

Until our DBs improve our defense will rely on the pass rush and lucky bad play by the opponent to get stops.

Our secondary is slow and get beat a lot. We need more speed on defense.

Agree. I'm confident Dino realizes this & will bring in 2-3 plug-&-play Grad Transfers/JUCOs again like he did with Martin, Butler, & attempted to with Mykelti Williams. It will help bridge the gap to Melifonwu, Trill, Jonas, etc.

the lack of speed at WR and DB is the issue we have been fighting for too many years. every teams has multiple skill guys that outrun our RB and multiple DBs that outrun our skill guys.

nothing shows it more than the deep shot UL throws into double coverage where the guy makes the catch and then runs past the Db with the angle like he isnt even there.

When a coach makes comments like Dino has made after the LSu TD and before the wake game, its clear he knows thats the issue he needs to over come.

I do think the DBs that are RS and coming in next year are a significant uptick in athleticism and speed.

lets hope so anyway

I think the four 4 have had a lot to do with that improvement and veteran LBs had been good till the Wake game.

Hopefully the kid from Massachusetts who is redshirting and Cordy next year help there.

Until our DBs improve our defense will rely on the pass rush and lucky bad play by the opponent to get stops.

Shy's fast. Don't see him out there like I think we should.

Defenses need to create turnovers. Ours didn't. They never give the offense a short field to work with.

Agree, but is more about our safeties. Fredericks and scoop have played petty well this year, its the small, slow safeties that kill us. Martin was a bandaid before he was hurt, we need more athletes like him back there. Aa for cordy, i am not in the camp that he was a big injury this year. We have safeties that can play at the LOS, we need safeties that can play in space and actually function at the true meaning of the position. Cordy cant do that. He is great at the LOS, but he gets torched in coverage.

Wards D was good for 9.5 Games this year until the injuries in backfield which Dino worked hard to correct last year and did until injuries.

Don’t really know that we play Tampa 2 like most claim, do you guys not listen to Dino?

Problems on D are recruiting better players and more depth. People need to relax with scheme chat

Defenses need to create turnovers. Ours didn't. They never give the offense a short field to work with.
Seven (7) straight games without the defense forcing a turnover. In that time, the SU offense has one forced turnover and special teams has two.

DL broke down eventually without Black and Coleman (limited upon return). Those who played started playing way too many snaps.

Martin going down really hurt the safety position. Not sure if Foster was just trying to do too much, but he was constantly out of position the past 2 weeks.

Zaire and Paris can’t do it all. It took its toll on them too.

Wards D was good for 9.5 Games this year until the injuries in backfield which Dino worked hard to correct last year and did until injuries.

Don’t really know that we play Tampa 2 like most claim, do you guys not listen to Dino?

Problems on D are recruiting better players and more depth. People need to relax with scheme chat

Yes, recruiting and depth, we hear that alot around here. The scheme had shown signs of improvement this year but in this scheme we will always be at the risk of big numbers being put up against us. The defensive staff got schooled by the offensive wake staff. A non aggressive approach will always be at risk to give up big games, not a fan. And add the fact that the team has mailed it in the last few weeks with ED out, well that's another thought for another day. The T2 is unproven at the p5 level. Bottom line.

Ithaca, i respect your takes and opinion of the program, but, it's a weird thing with Ward. There are other "tempo " offensive head coaches like Dino that play an attacking scheme on D. Dino and Ward believe that this " bend, not break " scheme is the best given our O system. Funny thing is, we have given up more big plays on ward's last 2 years than we did the previous 2 years for sure. Very frustrating sitting back and rushing 3 or 4 and still getting gashed.

Now this is truly a revelation...we need more speed.

I think that every team in the country would say the same thing...at every position. Have you ever heard a coach say "nah, we don't need that fast guy, we have enough speed, we'll pass but thanks!"

The lack of speed on defense became pretty clear to me last week against Wake.

We were consistently beaten to the edge.

DL broke down eventually without Black and Coleman (limited upon return). Those who played started playing way too many snaps.

Martin going down really hurt the safety position. Not sure if Foster was just trying to do too much, but he was constantly out of position the past 2 weeks.

Zaire and Paris can’t do it all. It took its toll on them too.
Foster and nmber 6 are killing me out there. Out of position and take terrible angles.

you cant be slow and take bad angles. if you are slow you need to make up for it other ways

This x 1000000000

i don't know what's so hard for people who don't like the tampa 2 to realize that it's irrelevant when you have bobbleheads waddling around awkwardly trying to run down track stars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom