Definition of Insanity....... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Definition of Insanity.......

newmexicuse said:
Why is that insane in terms of getting the team to play better as opposed to the fact that it isn't likely to happen ?? Isn't it patently obvious that we cannot go far with CJ and Jerami playing near 40 MPG ????

We won 25 in a row that way? Injuries happen. CJ and Grant appeared tired in maybe 2 games. They will have had a week off, play two and then another 5 days off? They'll be fine.

It's aggressiveness by Ennis, 3's by Cooney, and better interior D by Rakieta.

I believe Rak is the key. If he can stay out of foul trouble and we actually look inside and get him early touches and he establishes himself as a threat it will open up offense on the perimeter. Also he is a VERY good inside/out passer and if he is established early the D will cheat to him and he then makes great kickout passes to TC which could help get Cooney going

Agreed with Bees..this is CJ's time. While he doesn't have to be Kemba Walker and average 30ppg; he HAS to be efficient and consistent. Tyler will get his, Grant will get his; but if CJ is putting up 20ppg and shooting a high percentage will be in great shape. The only game we can get away with CJ going like 4/15 from the field is Western Michigan, and even that might be a stretch.

I hope Trev shows up but at this point it's hard to expect anything from him but maybe 1-2 3's a game.

I honestly don't think there's much to look into. With road games like Greensboro for our first acc tournament game ever and NCSTATE needing a win to make the tournament, their is a luck factor and a off night factor.

In the tournament the off night factor is on you theres no not feeling like playing, or halfmassing it through a long stretch WE WON"T BE SEEING THAT. There is no I don't feel like playing tonight.
Furthermore we got a good pod, we are home or neutral until we play florida in the elite 8.

That being said, if CJ is really off we shouldn't go off on him. Hes shown he can be really off to really on. We need him to be really on to 35% hitting 1-2 late ones if close, instead of really off(25%).

KEEP IN MIND THIS TEAM HAS 3 GUYS WHO ARE JUMPING TO THE NBA THIS YEAR, TEAMS WITH THAT HISTORICALLY DO GREAT THINGS!

Last edited:
I honestly don't think there's much to look into. With road games like Greensboro for our first acc tournament game ever and NCSTATE needing a win to make the tournament, their is a luck factor and a off night factor.

In the tournament the off night factor is on you theres no not feeling like playing, or halfmassing it through a long stretch WE WON"T BE SEEING THAT. There is no I don't feel like playing tonight.
Furthermore we got a good pod, we are home or neutral until we play florida in the elite 8.

That being said, if CJ is really off we shouldn't go off on him. Hes shown he can be really off to really on. We need him to be really on to 35% hitting 1-2 late ones if close, instead of really off(25%).

KEEP IN MIND THIS TEAM HAS 3 GUYS WHO ARE JUMPING TO THE NBA THIS YEAR, TEAMS WITH THAT HISTORICALLY DO GREAT THINGS!
They might be in the NBA but they won't be playing any basketball unless it's practice or their team is up or down by 25+ . Yeah NBA drafts for potential but potential only becomes actual by development and for 2 of the 3 they are far from their potential. So at best it will be in college ball at worst in D league or Europe.

I think we kind of know what to expect with CJ. Im'ma break it down:

50% chance CJ is going to look great from start to finish.

50% chance he's decent.

50% chance he's all over the place.

50% chance he just flat out sucks.

The key is how the last five-seven minutes go for him. Most of the season, regardless of how he was playing prior to that, CJ was able to turn it on in the last five or so minutes and deliver clutch plays. You combine that with Ennis' cool demeanor, and knack for hitting a big shot here or there and it was a recipe for success. Once late game clutch CJ disappeared things went downhill. Most of the time we're going to play our opponent close because we let everyone dictate pace - it's all about how CJ finishes. Unless Cooney suddenly turns into McNamara. But I don't see that happening.

It's about the team going back to the enthusiastic early season attitude with fast reacting defense and opportunistic offense. CJ needs to get his points, Ennis play his usual heady game, Jerami get some rebounds and 12 points and Roc and TC chipping in what they can.
This has been a team effort from game one. That's all that will get it done now. Along with what JB has called "resolve" enough to win the games.

Why is that insane in terms of getting the team to play better as opposed to the fact that it isn't likely to happen ??

Isn't it patently obvious that we cannot go far with CJ and Jerami playing near 40 MPG ????
No it isn't. Your pessimism is ill founded and lacks understanding. Its exactly how we got to 25-0. As for crash landing? We were in all of those games and Grant was hurt and played sparingly. He's back to healthy again. Thats not crash landing.

I think we kind of know what to expect with CJ. Im'ma break it down:

50% chance CJ is going to look great from start to finish.

50% chance he's decent.

50% chance he's all over the place.

50% chance he just flat out sucks.

The key is how the last five-seven minutes go for him. Most of the season, regardless of how he was playing prior to that, CJ was able to turn it on in the last five or so minutes and deliver clutch plays. You combine that with Ennis' cool demeanor, and knack for hitting a big shot here or there and it was a recipe for success. Once late game clutch CJ disappeared things went downhill. Most of the time we're going to play our opponent close because we let everyone dictate pace - it's all about how CJ finishes. Unless Cooney suddenly turns into McNamara. But I don't see that happening.
So your two majors were basketball and math?

50% chance you succeeded in one.
50% chance you failed in one.
100 % chance you watched 8 years of college go down the drain.
10 % chance you get my drift.
21.3% chance you can add this up.
No chance this adds up to 100% but then you are good with that apparently.

Paul you should "head" over to 41 and get a street walker. You are miserable

Why is that insane in terms of getting the team to play better as opposed to the fact that it isn't likely to happen ??

Isn't it patently obvious that we cannot go far with CJ and Jerami playing near 40 MPG ????

I disagree with this...What I do agree with is that we need 3 of our top 4 to have good games if we expect to win. We won't go far with 3/17 shooting performances from our top option AND with our guards not adding at least 2o total...I still believe that they'll snap out of the funk...but then again, I may just be insane :)

So your two majors were basketball and math?

50% chance you succeeded in one.
50% chance you failed in one.
100 % chance you watched 8 years of college go down the drain.
10 % chance you get my drift.
21.3% chance you can add this up.
No chance this adds up to 100% but then you are good with that apparently.

Harsh!

lol...I know it doesn't add up. I used to do pricing in a past life, regression analysis, all that nonsense - so I kind of get it. Although we did use spreadsheets for a lot of it. Or maybe I was super bad at it and nobody noticed??

And I only went to school for 7 years sadly (not all undergrad).

You realize basketball isn't a major, right? Or did you never go to college? See, I can take obvious jokes and pretend to be clever too! :)

Last edited:
We won 25 in a row that way? Injuries happen. CJ and Grant appeared tired in maybe 2 games. They will have had a week off, play two and then another 5 days off? They'll be fine.

It's aggressiveness by Ennis, 3's by Cooney, and better interior D by Rakieta.

Hahah... "Rakeita" I like that.

Well, it is now or never time. No more fluff. Lose one more and it is your season is done time of the year.

We go into the tourney with negative momentum.

Yeah, one would think we should get by our first round game regardless of the slow mo, but beyond that - we will need to pick it up to survive.

So, that begs the question, will the HOF Coach come up with any major or even minor adjustments for the Dance or will he continue to do what he has done and hope for a sudden turn-around in our play ???

Unfortunately, I think very little changes.

I know it is far too late for a Buss or a BJ sighting. Maybe Trevor can get hot for a game or even two, but I can't see it happening for him for four or five games over a hoped for six game run. I also can't see us surviving more than one game past the first round wo better 2G play.

The key here has to be Roberson. No, he will not suddenly blossum and take the tourney by the tail. But he HAS to play 8 to 15 MPG (3 to 5 MPG rest for CJ and 5 to 10 MPG rest for Jerami with his back issues) for us to have a chance; otherwise, no way CJ and Jerami stay fresh (and healthy) enough to get the job done.

I am defining getting the job done as reaching the FF, anything less from a team that was ranked #1 and was 25 & 0 has to be viewed as a disappointment in the context of the entire season, even though right now a Sweet Sixteen sighting actually doesn't sound too bad.
Nothing will change, since JB doesn't like to shake things up. He's very stubborn, and will go with the guys he's gone with all year.

Harsh!

lol...I know it doesn't add up. I used to do pricing in a past life, regression analysis, all that nonsense - so I kind of get it. Although we did use spreadsheets for a lot of it. Or maybe I was super bad at it and nobody noticed??

And I only went to school for 7 years sadly (not all undergrad).

You realize basketball isn't a major, right? Or did you never go to college? See, I can take obvious jokes and pretend to be clever too! :)

:)

Well, it is now or never time. No more fluff. Lose one more and it is your season is done time of the year.

We go into the tourney with negative momentum.

Yeah, one would think we should get by our first round game regardless of the slow mo, but beyond that - we will need to pick it up to survive.

So, that begs the question, will the HOF Coach come up with any major or even minor adjustments for the Dance or will he continue to do what he has done and hope for a sudden turn-around in our play ???

Unfortunately, I think very little changes.

I know it is far too late for a Buss or a BJ sighting. Maybe Trevor can get hot for a game or even two, but I can't see it happening for him for four or five games over a hoped for six game run. I also can't see us surviving more than one game past the first round wo better 2G play.

The key here has to be Roberson. No, he will not suddenly blossum and take the tourney by the tail. But he HAS to play 8 to 15 MPG (3 to 5 MPG rest for CJ and 5 to 10 MPG rest for Jerami with his back issues) for us to have a chance; otherwise, no way CJ and Jerami stay fresh (and healthy) enough to get the job done.

I am defining getting the job done as reaching the FF, anything less from a team that was ranked #1 and was 25 & 0 has to be viewed as a disappointment in the context of the entire season, even though right now a Sweet Sixteen sighting actually doesn't sound too bad.
I found it very funny that most of the annalist on Sunday were showing more confidence in SU than many of its fans! I think all of the guys on the first show (on ESPN at 7) said that SU would make the S16, and a couple even picked SU to go to the FF. After that I thing most still have them getting to the S16 and even E8. Many here were saying that SU will be lucky to get out of Buffalo. Getting to the FF is a crap shoot for any team as shown by how "few" #1 seeds get there. I think I saw a stat were almost as many #4 seeds have gotten there as #1s.

Really anything less than the final four is a disappointment? In the fall I think if you said 27-5 with a #3 seed in the tourney most people would have accepted that. In reality the team is/was flawed and to quote Denny Green "They are who we thought they were". Relax it's been a fun season now anything can happen.
If you read this board in the fall, most were saying a final four WAS the expectation, if Ennis could hold his own. That certainly isn't my expectation at this point. I agree that this team is flawed and has been all season. Too many on here were unwilling to see/acknowledge it while we were fortunate to remain undefeated and jumped all over anyone that suggested it. It's certainly more obvious now. It'll be interesting to see how things play out. If we hit jump shots, we can beat anyone. If we don't, we can lose to anyone.

I disagree with this...What I do agree with is that we need 3 of our top 4 to have good games if we expect to win. We won't go far with 3/17 shooting performances from our top option AND with our guards not adding at least 2o total...I still believe that they'll snap out of the funk...but then again, I may just be insane :)
Yes, I agree with your comment, but my point ties in.

For the team to play better, it will require solid games from CJ and Jerami. If CJ and Jerami are well-rested, IMHO, the odds increase greatly that they will have better overall games, and especially a stronger last 5 minutes.

Jimmy operates on the theory that a tired CJ or Jerami is better than a rested Roberson. I have no disagreement with that, but where I disagree with Jimmy is that I think a rested CJ or Jerami is better than a tired CJ or Jerami, so you have to give Roberson some minutes & take one step back early in the game to position ourselves to take two steps forward later in the game.

Additionally, you have the injury factor with Jerami. I am familiar with back pain. If you over due it you are much more likely to experience pain & hence have to play at less than 100%. I am no medical expert, but common sense tells me that Jerami really shouldn't be playing too much more than 30 MPG or else the injury/pain risk will increase significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom